etshick
Community Member

How do I sync my Mac laptop to 1Password on my Mac desktop

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

You can use one of the cloud sync solutions - Dropbox or iCloud. But if you are using Yosemite and 1Password 5, iCloud is only available if your license came from the Mac App Store. Or, Folder Sync is another option. These are covered in the 1Password 5 User Guide.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

With a little caution—unless you use Dropbox or iCloud, both of which make it pretty easy. (You can't really use local wifi sync.) If you suffer from Cloud allergy :) you'll need to take a wary look at folder sync.

Stephen

• etshick
    etshick
    Community Member

Thanks guys, I do suffer from Cloud allergy so I'll take a careful look at folder sync. It seems odd that they don't provide wifi sync between computers.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@etshick - there have been many users who also would like to see WiFi sync between Macs. I don't know what the limitations would be for that, but I can report that the developers know of demand for that as an option.

My understanding is that in a one Mac environment, the Mac acts as a server for WiFi sync. I don't know why the other Mac couldn't be a client, but I'm not a developer! There might be a very good reason.

• etshick
    etshick
    Community Member

Thanks hawkmoth. Of course we always want more.

• Hi @etshick,

I'd personally love to see Mac to Mac Wi-Fi sync, but mostly because I think it'd be fun to implement. There are a few technical challenges with doing Mac to Mac syncing via our Wi-Fi protocol. It's certainly something that we know users would love for us to add. One day when I find a couple weeks of time tucked behind that couch pillow....

Your best option for Mac to Mac sync without using a cloud provider is to do Folder Sync to a local folder on each side, then use another sync app to sync these folders on a piece of Network Attached Storage of your own.

Rick

• cablevision
    cablevision
    Community Member

I will appreciate to be able to sync wifi via all my 2 Mac Mini, hope team work on it. Love this program, Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cablevision & @etshick,

I've noted both of your voices on that particular request, every vote counts :smile:

• cablevision
    cablevision
    Community Member

Thanks ! For taking time to answer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@cablevision: Our pleasure! Hopefully we can add additional sync options in a future version. Cheers! :)

• etshick
    etshick
    Community Member

Thanks for keeping our dream alive! Enjoy the day.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

You too :smile:

• PriusPower
    PriusPower
    Community Member

I've finally talked myself into converting from Roboform to 1Password and am planning to use wifi sync. But I need Mac to Mac sync too, so add me to the list looking for an easier way to do that.

• Hi @PriusPower,

Thanks for the feedback. Mac <-> Mac sync is currently possible with Dropbox or iCloud, or possibly even Folder Sync (depending on your situation). We're looking into WiFi sync between Macs for the future. :)

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.