Password history for 1Password?

Options
Elaini
Elaini
Community Member

Since this is a question of feature request in general, I thought asking about it here?

Does 1Password have a change log for passwords? I think I need to know an old password - and it's somewhat important.

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Depending on your 1Password for Desktop version, Mac or Windows, it will be at the bottom of the details area.

There is a heading "password history".

• Ben
    Options

Does 1Password have a change log for passwords?

As wkleem mentioned we do indeed. It'll be at the bottom of each item that has a log.

• sb1pw
    sb1pw
    Community Member
    Options

I see that there is password history for Login Items (with a password history) only if you are not in edit mode. Seems I remember that you could see the history if you were actually actively in an item- which is where I usually need it. Is it no longer available? Or am I trippin'?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Why would you need the password history when you're editing?

• sb1pw
    sb1pw
    Community Member
    Options

So I don't reuse a previously used password when I'm creating a new password... I can't imagine needing it any other time.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Just use the password generator. You shouldn't be creating your own passwords anyway. Human beings just aren't random enough.

• sb1pw
    sb1pw
    Community Member
    Options

There are times I need to store simple/ dumb passwords. Seeing the password history within the item used to be a great help. I don't see the point of why it is available while browsing all items but not inside an item. Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to turn that feature back on?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Because you're not "inside an item". You're editing an item and I'd guess that no one saw a need to view history as that would imply that it might affect future password choices which is not the best plan.

Why use "simple/dumb" passwords for anything? The whole point of using a password manager is that you can use strong passwords everywhere.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

I disagree with your statement "The whole point of using a password manager is that you can use strong passwords everywhere." A password manager is for storing any password, be it strong, weak or whatever. I have 1P on my iPad but if I am using a PC without 1P there are times I need to log into sites and know the password without relying on a manager.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@tonydow If you can remember passwords then either the passwords are weaker than they could be or you have an excellent memory. The vast majority of people can't do this, which is why password managers exist in the first place.

A password manager is for storing any password, be it strong, weak or whatever.

While this is true, why would you ever want to use weak passwords? Max it out as far as the site will allow. Ctrl+\ is more convenient than any weak password you care to mention anyway.

There's three passwords I need to remember: My master password, my dropbox password (to recovery the vault if it is lost) and my primary email password (to allow me to password reset my accounts if the vault and all copies/backups of it are damaged).

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

Ctrl+\ ???

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tonydow,

I think that Richard is suggesting that 1Password for Windows might be a good investment for you. ;) Clearly, I'm biased here, but I agree. The Ctrl+\ keyboard shortcut will allow you to automatically fill in your passwords on websites, so there's no need to use weak or repeated passwords anywhere.

Really, the fewer passwords you have to remember, the better! Let 1Password do the remembering for you, on all your computers and devices. It's really convenient.

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan I appreciate that 1Password for Windows would be a good investment but it is an investment I can't run too at the moment unfortuneately.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tonydow,

No matter what, I would still strongly suggest that you avoid using weak passwords wherever possible. For passwords that you do need to frequently type, look into Diceware, which can help you create passwords that are easy to remember and type. You can learn more in our security guru's blog post: Towards Better Master Passwords.

There is also a handy new feature in 1Password 5 for iOS that can make typing passwords into a computer simpler: when you tap on a concealed password, you'll see a menu with the options 'copy', 'reveal', and 'large-type'. The large type option is exactly as it sounds - it will reveal your password in a large and easily legible format so you can reference it while you type.

So, even without the convenience of 1Password's auto-filling on the desktop, there are steps that you can take to increase your security. :)

This discussion has been closed.