Anti-Keylogger

baker
baker
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Lounge

Has anyone done any testing with anti-keylogger programs?

I've just learned about them. As keyloggers can avoid anti-virus detection, etc. From what I've learned. Then saw there are anti-keylogger programs available. I'd say keylogging would be one of the greatest threats to password managers.

So I thought of looking at anti-keylogging programs.

Maybe 1Password could look at developing a program to detect keylogging? I wouldn't mind a program that would detect and also block any/all keylogging as I'd say most people don't need/use any type of "legal" keylogging type software.

Comments

• Hi @baker,

I have not used any such program (let us know how it turns out!) but I imagine they would flag or disable legitimate programs such as TextExpander that I do use quite regularly.

1Password does use Secure Input on Mac, and Secure Desktop on Windows, to help prevent the logging of your Master Password.

Thanks!

Ben

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

They say you can get one and never know about it.

• A keylogger? Yes, I suppose you could.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member

Been looking around for anti-keylogger software. A couple of the more popular ones seem to be Spyshelter and Zemana.

Looks like they offer other things like encrypting everything you type so if a keylogger does get in, then all they should see is gibberish. Also blocking access to your clipboard, webcam, screen capture, and sound recorder, etc. Plus a lot of other things like Firewall, etc.

Spyshelter offers a lifetime license.

I figured some on here would have already checked out anti-keyloggers. Since a keylogger is a big weakness with password managers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @baker,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details!

As Ben mentions above, 1Password does take advantage of Secure Input on Mac and Secure Desktop on Windows, both of which work to prevent key loggers from obtaining any information while you are typing in your Master Password. If you'd like to read up more, our security guru has a few posts that you might find interesting:

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

That link showed up as "untrusted".

• I deleted the post. Brew23 if it was legitimate please explain. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.