Messed up Master Password

Options
Boomer49
Boomer49
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

I have 1Password 5.5 (from Agile Bits, not the App Store) on my iMac which is running on 10.10.2
When entering a new master password for 1Password it got messed up & it seems to be a lost cause in trying to retrieve it.

However I have 1Password 5.2.1 on my 1pad running on ios 8.2. 1Password still works on my iPad. It has a different master password. (The password never synced with 1Password on my iMac so I just left it alone.)

I have been syncing 1Password on my iPad & 1Password on my iMac using wifi.

So my question is: How do I get the 1Password data on my 1Pad over to my 1Password on my iMac?

I have some ideas on how I could do this, but I need some professional help before I attempt it.
I have a feeling I may have to delete 1Password from my iMac & go on from there.
Please point me in the right direction

Many thanks

Paul

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Disable 1P sync on your Mac.
    2. Follow these instructions carefully in order to start over on your Mac.
    3. Set up wifi sync again on your Mac so that you can sync your 1P data from your iPad.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Paul ( @Boomer49 ),

Please let us know if Stephen's instructions have gotten you up and running!

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Stephen & Megan for your help. Before I go ahead with this I need some clarification on some items please.

• I'm locked out of 1P5 on my iMac so I cannot see how to disable the sync on my Mac. However I have disabled the 1P sync on my iPad. Hope thats good enough?

• When I upgraded to 1P5 from 1P4 in January the 1P5 installation left the 1P4 folder in place. I did run into some problems with the 1P5 install which I got sorted out. At one point I did delete the 1P4 folder, but 1P put it back. Right now the 1P5 program is using both the 1P4 & 1P5 folders. The reason I mention this is that it may change what I have to put on the desktop as per your online instructions. To give you a clearer idea of my 1P setup I list below the sub-folders in the 1P4 & 1P5 folders.

• 1P4 has the following folders in it:
      Backups - with current backups in this folder
      Data - with current data in this folder
      Diagnostics - with two reports in from the 1P5 upgrade I did last January
      Watchtower - With current data

• 1P5 has the following folders in it:
      1P Agilekeychain - current
      Backups - not current. Dates of these backups are prior to my 1P5 upgrade
      Data - not current, again prior to my 1P5 upgrade
      License - the licence shown is dated in 2013. My most recent licence purchase was October 2014
      Mustaches - 001 - all the dates I see are in 2013
      Watchtower - not current, dates prior to my 1P5 upgrade.

So I guess the question is: do I follow your online instructions to the letter, or are there some extra steps I need to take because of what seems to me to be a somewhat 1P5 convoluted setup?

Thanks so much for your help!

Paul

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@Boomer49:

However I have disabled the 1P sync on my iPad. Hope thats good enough?

Yes.

However, because of your unorthodox folder setup I'm going to have to leave the remainder of your question for AgileBits. So far as I'm aware 1P5 never uses a "1P5" folder structure but simply relies on the old "1P4" folder structure—so there I suspect there's something critical there that needs to be sorted.

In summary, please await detailed advice from an expert!

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boomer49,

Before we go any further, I would like to take a closer look at your system.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac-4.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Megan, here is the support ID #..........LSG-94583-659

Thanks Megan & Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boomer49,

Thanks! We received your email, and I see that someone has replied to you (if you didn't receive the email, please make sure you check any junk folders/spam filters to see if it was caught there). Hopefully you're all set, but if you need more help with that, we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

• Boomer49
    Boomer49
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks every one for the help you have given me. I was able to get the 1P data from my iPad onto my 1Mac. All works good.
    Two things enabled me to do this: The great help from the good folks @ 1Password & the fact that I had different 1P master passwords on my iPad & iMac. This allowed me to access the 1P data on my iPad, reinstall 1P on my iMac & sync the data over from my iPad.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boomer49,

It's great to hear that you've got your iMac and iPad running smoothly once more :smile: Fingers crossed this is the last of the scares!

This discussion has been closed.