Option to sync with ICloud Drive is missing

Options
xs10shal
xs10shal
Community Member

I bought 1Password through the Apps store. My vault on my Macbook Air was not syncing my other devices. I went into preferences to make sure the Air was set to sync with Icloud. It isn't. It doesn't even give me the option...I can sync to Drop Box or Folder or None. I double checked through App store purchases to make sure it was purchased from the store...it is.
I also saw that I had downloaded 1Password mini. Is that a problem? How do I sync across my devices when I can't sync my computer app to the cloud?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It is possible that you bought through the App Store but are actually using the version direct from Agile (which does not permit iCloud syncing).

Run 1PW, and see what it says in "About 1Password" in the 1Password menu, and report it here.

• Hi @xs10shal,

I'm sorry that this happened to you. It sounds like you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, and then downloaded a version of it from our website. The version from our website is actually different than the Mac App Store version, and does not support iCloud Sync (it's now impossible to support iCloud in an app that's not from the Mac App Store).

We can switch you back to the Mac App Store version so that you can re-gain iCloud Sync. This is easy enough to fix. The only issue we have to work through is that when you first ran the Website version of 1Password, it made a copy of your password database. So that means that if you simply switched back to the Mac App Store version, you would have an old version of your database. So let's fix that up.

1. In 1Password go to Preferences, in the Backup pane. Click 'Backup Now'. This will create a backup for us.
    2. Click the 'Show Files' button, which will open a Finder window with all of your Backups. Find the most recent one, and copy it to your desktop.
    3. Quit 1Password and 1Password Mini
    4. Drag the 1Password 5.app from your Applications folder to the trash. Do not use any type of app uninstaller or cleaner, simply drag it to the trash.
    5. In the Mac App Store, re-download/install 1Passsword, which it should let you do for free because you've previously purchased it.
    6. Once downloaded, launch 1Password.
    7. It should ask you for your Master Password. The Master Password will be the same as it was before you switched to the website version of the app.
    8. Go into Preferences > Backup again. Click 'Backup Now' again. Just in case we make a mistake we want a backup to restore to.
    9. Now use the 'Find Backup' button, and go select the backup we moved onto your desktop.

Let it restore the backup, and it'll relaunch itself. It should now accept whatever Master Password you've had most recently.

You should now be all set up. You'll simply need to go enable iCloud Sync. Please make sure that you do not download 1Password from our website in the future, you should only do updates from the Mac App Store directly.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• bgabby
    bgabby
    Community Member
    Options

Can you help me? I can see from the discussions that the reason I can not sync to iCloud on my MacBook is because I purchased 1Password 5 directly from Agilebits rather than the applestore.

Can you help me get my license transferred over so that I can use iCloud on this device, in the same manner I am doing with all my other devices (iPhones and iPads)?

Thanks,
    Bill

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@bgabby - There is no way for AgileBits to transfer your license to the Mac App Store. Apple doesn't provide developers anyway to do that. If you bought your license from AgileBits within that past 30 days, they will give you a refund and you can then purchase the Mac App Store version. If that applies to you and you want to do that, post back here for directions. Otherwise, if iCloud sync is important enough to you to justify the extra expense, you'll need to buy another license from Apple at full price. No fun, for sure. And not worth it, in my own opinion.

Although it's clear that people feel really strongly about this, there is no security advantage to using iCloud vs. Dropbox. And you already have access to Dropbox for no more cash outlay.

• bgabby
    bgabby
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks hawkmoth. Bummer is that I have four devices that all sync with iCloud. My MacBook is the only one that doesn't sync with the rest. Was hoping to have all my devices syncing together. I purchased the 5 device license, so kind of frustrating to buy again just so that my devices will sync.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

All those devices can sync with Dropbox.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bil (@bgabby),

Sorry for the disappointment here. As hawkmoth said, the Mac App Store version is required for iCloud sync (here's why), and we have no way to transfer your license from the AgileBits Store to the Mac App Store, though we certainly would if we could.

And as hawkmoth also mentioned, all your versions of 1Password can sync with Dropbox, which is just as secure and just as automatic as iCloud sync. Many of us here at AgileBits prefer Dropbox sync, in fact.

If you're only using 1Password on one Mac and multiple iOS devices, you also have the option of Wi-Fi sync.

Searching our sales records by your email address, I see that you last purchased 1Password for Mac in early 2014. As that is unfortunately well outside of our 30-day refund window, you may either use another sync method or purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store for iCloud access.

I'm sorry if that's not exactly what you wanted to hear, but hopefully one of these options will work for you. And do let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. :)

• bgabby
    bgabby
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Vee and Hawkmoth. I understand. I had been a Dropbox user and for personal reasons chose to move away from this service. I did try the wifi sync and messed up my iPad syncing. (User error I'm sure

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions or issues. We're always here to help! :)

• MrsElkoo
    MrsElkoo
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I am in the same situation as the other people in this conversation thread. I just purchased a license for my mother's mac air from the agile bits website and now don't have any way to sync via icloud.

Can someone please assist me in trasnferring the license to whichever version of the program allows for icloud sync or in receiving a refund so I can purchase the correct version?

Thank you

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrsElkoo,

Sorry for the confusion. I've refunded your $31.99 purchase from our store. Our sale is still running for now, so you should be able to get 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store (with iCloud sync) for the same price if you hurry. :) Cheers!

• MrsElkoo
    MrsElkoo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I'll go purchase it now. Great product and great support team!

• Tadasana
    Tadasana
    Community Member
    Options

It is an interesting question whether one feels more secure using one cloud service over another. http://www.cloudcomputing-news.net/news/2012/aug/06/writers-icloud-hacked-wozniak-calls-cloud-horrendous/

• Tadasana
    Tadasana
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the rapid response Agilebits! All is well.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

You're most welcome, @MrsElkoo! Always happy to help. :)

@Tadasana, yes it is interesting to see some folks prefer Dropbox or iCloud, but often it's just a matter of personal preference. I will note, though, that 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data.

Thanks for the rapid response Agilebits! All is well.

Glad to hear all is well, but I'm not sure I know which response you're referring to, as there is no comment in this thread between the two that you posted! Am I missing something?

This discussion has been closed.