Problems logging into Facebook after changing password [Resolved - save new Login]

Options
ashleyk
ashleyk
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

Recently I begrudgingly created a Facebook account after receiving an invite to a group that is work related and I couldn't really say no. Everything was working fine but I decided to change my password and since then it has been a pain to log in using 1Password. Every time I try it tells me the password was updated and it's not accepting the password from the browser extension but if I go and copy the password from the main application it works fine.

Is there anyway to fix this? I have never experienced this on any other site. I am using Password 5.1 on Yosemite.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

What you see is sometimes a symptom of a password which is longer than (a sometimes hidden) limit imposed by the site into which you are logging. Is that a possibility?

Stephen

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

It could be but they accepted the password when I set it up and they accept it when I copy it manually from the main application. I'll try putting in a shorter password to see if that fixes it.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

No that hasn't worked unless Facebook are now insisting on short insecure passwords!

The strange thing is that I can press on the anchor symbol and copy it from the browser extension which works. It just won't log in normally and tells me I have used an old password, so it feels like a bug in 1Password that is not updating the password properly.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashleyk,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your Facebook Login item! If it works when you copy & paste your login credentials, but not when you have the extension fill them for you, please try manually saving a new Login for that site. Does the new Login item work correctly?

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I actually tried that before and it updated the existing login within 1Password itself, however those changes are never carried back to the browser extension when attempting a normal login. It's perplexing because if I copy them manually from the browser extension it's correct.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashleyk,

The steps to manually save a new Login won't update an existing Login item - instead, they'll have you create a brand new Login item for that site, completely separate from the original Login item (although they'll both have your same login credentials, of course). This can be useful for logins that have stopped working correctly. Saving a new Login item allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page.

Can you please follow the steps from that link to create a new Login item in 1Password for that Facebook account? Once you do that, refresh the login page, then try to have 1Password fill your info using the new Login item you just created. Does that make a difference?

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Options

OK saving a new login and then deleting the old one seems to have worked. Hopefully it was a one off problem and won't happen again if I change the password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad that solved the problem, @ashleyk! :)

If/when you change your Facebook password in the future, make sure you follow the steps here: How to change a password for a site saved in 1Password

That will help to ensure everything keeps working well for you. If you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you! :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I've never had a problem before across hundreds of websites and changed the password on many of them. It's still a mystery why 1Password was continuing to insert an old password, even though it had clearly updated inside the main application. Chances are it won't happen again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashleyk,

We certainly hope it doesn't happen again either! But if you do notice anything wonky about 1Password, you know where to find us. ;)

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com.

This discussion has been closed.