INSTALLING AND USING 1PASSWORD 5

Options
rayuss
rayuss
Community Member

i just paid 24.99 for 1Password 5 but I'm not sure what to do now ???? When I check my 1Password, I show rev 3.8.22 ? Think I need help !!

Comments

• OnederWoman
    OnederWoman
    Community Member
    Options

I am one step farther than you. I have 1Password 5 purchased and installed, but when open it and I select that I've used 1Password before, the option to transfer my data gets me nowhere. I don't have a dropbox backup or a backup on the new mac (where I am trying to get 1Password5 installed) only on the old Mac with 1password3. Therefore, I select "from another device" which only lets me click either "cancel" or "more information". More information then leads me to a webpage on how to install 1Password4. ?? I have 1Password3 on my old mac, and I run the mobile version of 1Password 3.6.5 on my iOS8.2 phone and iPad, however that doesn't seem to help at all. Also, the preference for Wifi Server is not available before you set up 1Password. As far as I can find from a web search, there really is no instruction on how to get your data from another device after you installed 1Password5.

Perhaps I am supposed to act as if I am new to 1Password, even though I am not? Would that let me sync from a mobile device at least? It is one area where the document team has accidentally created a circular information loop.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rayuss,

Thanks so much for your purchase! I see that you upgraded your license to version 5. Have you installed the 1Password 5 app on your Mac? It's installed separately from version 3. If you haven't already done so, you'll need to download 1Password 5 from our download site. Then unzip the downloaded file (if necessary) and move the 1Password 5.app file to the Applications folder. Double-click on that to open 1Password 5. It should be able to find your data from 1Password 3, but if you have trouble with that, please let us know.

You'll also need to activate 1Password 5 with your license file. The email you received after purchasing the upgrade should have a link to download that file.

Does that help? If you have more questions about that, just let us know - we're here for you!

• rayuss
    rayuss
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AD

As they say at Staples, "WOW THAT WAS EASY !!!! Thank you so much for your help! It was exactly what I needed. It appears to be working well on my MAC. Trying to get it installed on my iPad and iPhone(6+) may be a different story but I"m going to give it a shot. I'll basically try to follow the guidelines you gave me for the MAC. I'm a 76 year old male and sometimes this stuff doesn't come easy! But I've had 1Password now for approx 8 or 9 years and I really don't know what we would do without it !! It is without a doubt the one app we use most frequently and we don't even realize it!! It is so seamless and user friendly.

Thanks again for such a great and useful app.

Rayuss

• That's great to hear, @rayuss. If you need help with 1Password for iOS, please don't hesitate to ask.

Rick

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @OnederWoman,

I'm sorry I missed your message when I replied to the OP yesterday - I think you and I must have been replying at the same time. But I can definitely help you out with migrating your data to 1Password 5 on your new Mac!

If you're not using Dropbox sync, the easiest way to get data to 1Password 5 on the new Mac would be to use a backup file from 1Password 3 on your old Mac. To get the backup file on the old Mac, follow these steps:

• Open 1Password 3 on your old Mac
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences and select the Backup tab
    • Right-click on the file path for the Backup Folder and choose Show In Finder

This will open a folder where you'll see the Backups folder for 1Password 3. You can either copy the whole Backups folder to your new Mac, or copy the most recent file from inside that folder (entirely up to you). Each backup file from 1Password 3 should have a name like 1Password DATE TIME (ITEM COUNT).agilekeychain_zip. On the new Mac, you can use that file to restore your data in 1Password 5 by following these steps:

• Rename the backup file to: 1Password.agilekeychain.zip
    • Double-click that file to unzip it, and it will now be named 1Password.agilekeychain
    • Open 1Password 5 and set it up as a new user (if you haven't already done so)
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select the Sync tab, then choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu
    • Choose the 1Password.agilekeychain file

This should restore the data from your backup file. Hopefully you're all set now, but please let us know if you have any questions about that, or if you need help with 1Password for iOS. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.