Installing Chrome and 1P via Homebrew Cask

Options
joshukraine
joshukraine
Community Member

Hi there,

I am working on a provisioning script for my personal machine that installs several software packages - including Google Chrome and 1Password - using Homebrew Cask. During the installation of Chrome, I received this message:

==> Caveats
The Mac App Store version of 1Password won't work with a Homebrew-Cask-linked Google Chrome. To bypass this limitation, you need to either:
+ Move Google Chrome to your /Applications directory (the app itself, not a symlink).
+ Install 1Password from outside the Mac App Store (licenses should transfer automatically, but you should contact AgileBits about it).

I own 1P 5 purchased via the Mac App Store. So here's my question: If I install 1P via Cask, will my license transfer as suggested in the Cask message above?

Thank you.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joshukraine,

I don't have any experience with Homebrew Cask I'm afraid but what I can say is if our Agile Web Store (AWS) version of 1Password for Mac finds a MAS receipt it will accept that as evidence that you've purchased 1Password for Mac. This sadly doesn't work the other way as you can't download the MAS version without purchasing it. That caveat is more for the other people reading this wishing to migrate from AWS to MAS than your specific needs.

The one part I'm not sure about though is ensuring the receipt is on this machine. I think the receipt is only saved to disk when you download the application in question via Apple's App Store on your Mac. So if you're trying to automate this I'm not sure how to proceed. Manually though it's definitely possible.

Aspects to be aware of though. Due to restricted access, only MAS applications can access CloudKit, the iCloud framework for iCloud syncing. While you can migrate to the AWS version, you wouldn't be able to continue with iCloud Sync in 1Password 5. You also would want to drag the MAS copy of the 1Password application to your Trash to avoid any confusion. When we migrate you over we copy your vault as the two versions keep their support files in different places. We have seen occasions where people unknowingly keep using both versions, resulting in new items being split over two vaults and obviously confusion ensues.

If you have any follow up questions don't hesitate to ask :smile:

• joshukraine
    joshukraine
    Community Member
    Options

OK that makes sense. So if I'm understanding correctly, the following steps should produce the desired effect:
    1. Run provisioning script on new machine which installs AWS version via Cask.
    2. Download MAS version to ensure the license is present.
    3. Remove MAS version to avoid confusion.
    4. Launch AWS and use as normal.

As the for the iCloud limitations, that shouldn't be a problem for me since I use Dropbox syncing.

One final question: if I use this approach to running 1P for now, does it in any way nullify my MAS license? In other words, if I decide at some point to go back and just download/use the MAS version as before, that would still work?

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joshukraine,

As I wasn't one hundred percent sure, I've gone ahead and tested with MAS and this is what I would recommend.

1. Download MAS version and launch to ensure the license is present.
    2. Definitely remove the MAS version to avoid confusion :wink:
    3. Run provisioning script on new machine which installs AWS version via Cask.
    4. Launch AWS and use as normal.

Don't worry, even if were out to be malicious (we're not!) there is nothing we could ever do to nullify your MAS licence. That purchase was between you and Apple and we're not involved at all. In the above all we're doing is reading the MAS licence as proof that you purchased 1Password for Mac and it's your decision which version you want to use. If you ever decide to go back to the MAS version that's fine and you may want to look at our Migrating to the Mac App Store version guide. The guide is all about migrating your vault as the support files for the two versions are in different locations.

If you have any more questions fire away :smile:

• joshukraine
    joshukraine
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds great. I'll give that a try. Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let us know how you get along :smile:

• joshukraine
    joshukraine
    Community Member
    Options

OK I got everything set up and it works beautifully. Thanks so much for your help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! Thanks for letting us know it all worked out well for you. If you ever need anything else, please let us know, we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.