Which Templates to Use for What Items?

Options
FuriousFan
FuriousFan
Community Member

I'm a bit confused. Some of the record types are quite easy to choose such as Passport. But others are not so obvious. Yes, I use the Login category/template for all web logins but whether to choose a Reward or Membership template for say a Starbucks Card isn't so obvious. I guess Membership can be used for hotel loyalty cards but they also provide rewards lol.

Also, can't find anything obvious for recording say vehicle details. I guess the catch-all is Secure Notes? What are people using for the most common items they're entering?

Thanks all!

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @FuriousFan,

Deciding which Category to use for some items can be a little puzzling at times. Here's the mental process you might consider when deciding:

1. Does the data have some implied functionality to it? For example, a username, password and web URL implies a Login function. 1Password's Login category handles this functionality specially. And the Identity and Credit Card categories are used for form-filling online.
    2. Does the data have some secret data you'd like hidden under normal circumstances? For example, a PIN, password, a CVV credit card verification number, a wireless passphrase, etc. Some of the Categories have built-in fields that are concealable (they follow the Conceal/Reveal Passwords toggle).
    3. Does the data best or most naturally fit into the fields of an existing Category?
    4. Does the Category make sense to you?
    5. How will you actually use the data when you need it? On a phone call? To fill out paperwork?
    6. Does that data itself matter that it is organized as Field: Value pairs within the item's field list, or is it perfectly reasonable to just place the data into the Notes section, or in a Secure Note? For example, your Vehicle information (VIN, license plate, dealership, etc) is not private, and is simply informational. How you place the information in the entry is simply a matter of personal preference. Much of the data I have in Secure Notes does not need to be "secure", but it is convenient to have such details all contained within a single App, rather than in disparate note files in some folder in the file system.

Some of the Categories are based on what other password managers had chosen long ago, and somewhat based on older ways of managing our various wallet cards, account information, and other confidential data often stored in drawers, safes, etc. These are essentially legacy fields, but still have some usefulness. Other seemingly natural Categories that are not present, but are in other password managers, can simply clutter the UI. One password manager has some 30+ categories, and searching the list for the correct category is tedious (and you have to recall which are simply variations of each other vs. those that are more generic and apropos to certain functionality).

Now, for your Membership vs. Rewards Program category question: this should be more easily answered given item 2 and 5 above. Memberships have passwords, whereas Rewards Programs typically have PINs (can be entered into a keypad). And Memberships have expiration dates, whereas Rewards Programs are typically endless.

Sometimes you need to break data into multiple entries, each with their own Category. For example, your banking will typically be constructed as one ore more Bank Accounts and a Login.

Hope this helps!

• FuriousFan
    FuriousFan
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, lots of great thinking in your post, it's helped a lot. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FuriousFan: I agree! MrC certainly was thorough. :+1:

That's sort of the process I use, just articulated better than I might have myself. Very cool! :)

This discussion has been closed.