WiFi Sync not working after update: error code 7027 [fixed in version 5.4.2 on 2015-05-26]

Options
1235»

Comments

• onepassword_user
    onepassword_user
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'll give the Folder Sync guide a try then with the understanding that's it's unsupported by you. However, I too feel that it is important to stress that the loss of functionality ( local sync ) from earlier releases of 1Passwd is very inconvenient. @bwoodruff cloud sync solutions aren't an option for some folks so with your removal of a local sync option, 1Passwd is much less appealing.

• Ben
    Options

Folder sync itself is supported, however we cannot support any 3rd party tools that may be used to sync the data from your 1Password sync folder between Macs.

Thanks for the feedback!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

cloud sync solutions aren't an option for some folks so with your removal of a local sync option, 1Passwd is much less appealing.

@onepassword_user: What exactly are you referring to that we removed? I'll admit that I don't really remember much about 1Password version 1 at all, but from then on we've had Wi-Fi Sync and later Dropbox and iCloud were added.

Wi-Fi Sync has (and technically the others as well) always used a client/server model, which is why it's a single computer (Wi-Fi Sync server) and one or more iOS devices (clients) and not something else. And ultimately Folder Sync is as local as you can get.

• onepassword_user
    onepassword_user
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty what I'm referring to is the ability (in the previous versions) to sync in succession Mac#1 --> iOS#1 --> Mac#2 all via WiFi. Folder syncing being a solution that is "as local as you can get" is the problem, it's a little too local for network separated Macs that one wishes to keep synced but is unable to use cloud services. It was commonly used among my circle of technology acquaintances that use 1Passwd and I've seen it mentioned several times in the past on these forums. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/88609/#Comment_88609 @MikeT even described such a scenario as a common solution for syncing network separated Macs without cloud services.

• Ben
    Options

@onepassword_user,

There is no technical limitation stopping you from doing just that, however we no longer offer that recommendation as we found the sync state is not preserved when switching the computer your iOS device is synced with, which can cause the problems I mentioned. If you are keeping good backups, and this is the only way you're going to be able to sync, you're welcome to continue use at your own risk (again I'd highly encourage good backups).

Thanks.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

what I'm referring to is the ability (in the previous versions) to sync in succession Mac#1 --> iOS#1 --> Mac#2 all via WiFi. Folder syncing being a solution that is "as local as you can get" is the problem, it's a little too local for network separated Macs that one wishes to keep synced but is unable to use cloud services.

@onepassword_user: Sorry for the misunderstanding! This is a pretty deep issue, after all.

1Password Wi-Fi Sync was not at all designed with multiple computers/servers in mind. This is reflected in the 'pairing' your iOS device has at any given time with a computer, using the shared 'secret' ("There can be only one!"). It was just never intended to track relationships with multiple servers, and only does so at all as an accidental byproduct of how all of this information is saved.

I guess the takeaway is that, much like using Folder Sync with a network volume can work, multi-server Wi-Fi Sync isn't recommended or supported because it can have undesirable outcomes -- data loss, as the worst-case scenario.

However, there's nothing stopping you (including risk-assessment!) from using something like ChronoSync to sync the contents of a local Folder Sync location on your Mac to the other, and then using one Mac as the Wi-Fi Sync server for your iOS devices. And while AgileBits doesn't support other developers' software, others have had great success with this kind of setup as a cloud-free sync solution. :)

• onepassword_user
    onepassword_user
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff no technical limitation other than it doesn't work very well in that way. Your gratuitous statement that I am welcome to continue using it in that fashion is taken under advisement.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. We'll continue to investigate sync methods.

• SyncError7027
    SyncError7027
    Community Member
    Options

same problem here:

I used to WIFI sync across multiple Macs and multiple iOS devices without issue.
    Since several weeks/months the sync shows always error 7027, as described in this thread multiple times.

I even backed up my vault on my iPad. copied over to my mac via itunes. deleted the 1password app. Reinstalled the app. created a new vault. copied the old vault via itunes back to my iPad. restored the vault. Tried to sync: error 7027 again.

Even with the new iOS v5.4.3

Since I have multiple changes on my devices, and this is getting worse every day, I have the following questions:

• Is it possible, to find out which are the latest changes on an iOS device? On mac I can sort by date, but on iOS there is no option.
    • Is is possible to restore an iOS Backup into 1Password for mac?
    • If this works, is it possible to merge this data somehow with the existing mac data?
    • If the merge does not work, can I sort the iOS data on the mac application, so that I can see on my mac, what changes have been done?
    • If all that does not work, is there a way to get an plain text file with only the used fields via an export option?

And one comment, if 1password is not officially supporting WIFI syncing multiple macs and multiple iOS devices, then it might not have a future use for me. So please add this functionality asap.

I send the diagnose file as well and get the following key: #QKX-77565-585

• SyncError7027
    SyncError7027
    Community Member
    Options

Agile bits support team is quite responsive, but not really helpful.
    They keep pushing towards cloud based syncing.

I was investigating in a different direction and found a workaround, which might help somebody here:

1) I did a backup off 1password on the iOS device.
    2) Copied the backup via iTunes to the mac.
    3) Created a new backup of 1password on the mac.
    4) On the mac I went to the restore dialog and searched the iOS backup from step 2 and restored it on the mac.
    5) On the mac version you are able to sort the entries by date.
    6) I marked all new entries and "exported" only the new entries to a .1pif file.
    7) After that I restored the mac backup from step 3. Now the mac 1password is in the same state as initially.
    8) Last step is to imported the .1pif file which was created in step 6. Now the mac 1password contains the its old entries AND the new entries from the iOS device.

Done.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @SyncError7027. Unfortunately the WiFi sync feature just wasn't designed to do what some folks here are looking for it to do. We're aware of that desire / use case, and our developers will certainly take it into consideration as they continue to improve the WiFi sync feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Agile bits support team is quite responsive, but not really helpful.

They keep pushing towards cloud based syncing.

@SyncError7027: Thank you for the compliment, and also for the feedback! I am really sorry if you felt 'pushed' toward cloud syncing. That isn't our intent at all.

Rather, we try to offer a solution which will actually work to get the desired result for you or any customer, and as Wi-Fi Sync does not support multiple servers (i.e. more than one computer), cloud sync is simply the most viable option (apart from some more fiddly manual setups that some folks use).

Again, I understand how it might be taken that way, and I do apologize. But ultimately we're always going to recommend a practical solution over one which does not exist. That said, we'll definitely take feedback like this into account as we develop 1Password going forward. :)

• somelez
    somelez
    Community Member
    Options

As many others, I’m experienced some problems with wifi sync since March this year. In fact I, since march couldn’t sync anymore.
    At the moment my environment is:
    - OS X 10.10.4 with 1Password 5.3.2 (532001) Agile Web Store
    - iOS 8.4 with 1Password 5.4.3
    and I’m still getting the same error:

Sync Problem
    Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=7027 “Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured.”
    UserInfo=0x14e9fa20 {NSLocalizedDescription=Attempted to sync with a different vault than originally configured.}

I created an 1Password backup on my iPhone and I copied that backup to my Mac using iTunes. Then I deleted and reinstalled the 1Password on my iPhone. After a new 1Password installation in my iPhone, I restored the 1Password backup. All process worked fine but I’m still getting the error 7027 on wifi sync.
    Unfortunately reinstalling the 1Password iOS app didn't help me.
    The problem is that I have data in iOS that aren't in the Mac and data in the Mac that aren't in iOS :(

There is anything I can do to fix this issue?

• utro
    utro
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: more than one month has passed since my last post about this issue and there is still no solution. Is anybody at Agile bits still working on this issue or have we all to accept data loss?

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

If you are still having this issue, please email us a diagnostic report from both your Mac and iOS immediately following an attempted WiFi sync.

iOS: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html
    Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

Ben

• utro
    utro
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your response.
    I have sent the reports as requested. On iOS I enabled logging for Wi-Fi Sync.
    The ticket number I received is #RYV-13554-676.

I hope this helps to solve this annoying issue and brings back Wi-Fi Sync to all of us.

Regards,
    Uwe

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @utro,

We received your Diagnostics Reports, thanks for sending them! I will update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Thanks!

ref: RYV-13554-676

• utro
    utro
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG,
    thanks so far.
    Uwe

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

You're very welcome! Hopefully we'll be able to get this all sorted out very soon. I'm sorry you've been having this trouble for so long now. Thanks so much for your patience!

ref: RYV-13554-676

• somelez
    somelez
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff

Thanks for your interest.
    I've already sent the reports. The ticket number I received was #XQG-72424-799

Regards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@somelez: Thanks! I see we've received it, so we can continue to conversation via email. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

• elidor
    elidor
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem here. I am using 1Password 5.3 on OSX 10.10.5 and 6.0.1 on an iPhone 6 with iOS 9.0.1
    Error Code is 7014.
    I already backed up my data, deleted 1Password, reinstalled it, rebooted both devices and my router but I still have that error. ICloud sync is no option and I have new logins on the mac as well as the iPhone.

Any idea? I hope this is not too old, but it seemed to be the same problem..

• Hi @elidor,

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with WiFi sync. Please follow the instructions in this post.

Thanks!

Ben

• elidor
    elidor
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@bwoodruff
    Hi thanks for the quick reply!
    I got this ID: [#PER-59114-581]

• Thanks! We've received your reports, and we'll reply via email once we've had a chance to review them and come up with a troubleshooting recommendation.

• cidermark
    cidermark
    Community Member
    Options

Hi bwoodruff, any updates on this? It's getting very tedious manually syncing my PW databases across my devices!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cidermark,

If you are still experiencing this difficulty, please see the instructions in this post:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/217392/#Comment_217392

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.