For new installation, what is preferred setup for two people sharing one vault?

Options
convint
convint
Community Member

Hi. New users of 1Password have not set up anything yet. Husband and wife, each person has their own iMac (OS X 10.10.2) and iPhone 6 (iOS 8.x) and prefer to use Dropbox for syncing. Can we just set up one single vault which will have the same master password at each device and which will sync to all four devices via one Dropbox account? What happens if both people have the same record in 1Password open at the same time? Please tell us the most simple solution that is reliable. Thanks.

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @convint,

Great questions! I think you may find this similar discussion thread useful. It's got helpful tips and great links to our user guide pages on vault sharing.

Essentially, you'll probably want to each have your own primary vault for your separate logins, and then have one shared secondary vault, which you can certainly sync across devices with Dropbox.

And no need to worry about using the same login item at the same time; it shouldn't be a problem. 1Password data is stored locally on each device, copied from the data in Dropbox, and you can access the data at will.

If you're asking about editing an item at the same time, then it could get slightly more complicated. 1Password would copy a change to the vault in Dropbox. If two different changes are made to the vault at the same time, it's up to Dropbox to resolve the conflict. If it can't figure out which change is newer, it'll save both changes in a "Conflict" section in that item's notes, which you can go and resolve.

I hope this answers your questions. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with. :)

• convint
    convint
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, Vee. Thanks for your help. Rather than having multiple vaults, for simplicity these two folks would prefer to have just one. They're going to develop a fairly small collection of logins which they would like to be identical at all devices, his iMac, his iPhone, her iMac, her iPhone.

Would it be OK to do all this using one primary vault at each iMac, each with the same master password and each synced to the same 1Password.agilekeychain in one Dropbox account... each person would use the same Dropbox account on all devices and point their 1Password app to that keychain? Thanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @convint,
    Yes, this is definitely possible, and indeed much simpler than sharing a secondary vault. You'll essentially just set it all up as though you were one person using all 4 devices. You can share one 1Password for Mac single license (which you purchased in 2013, according to our sales records for your email address), and if you want to unlock the Pro Features on your 1Password for iOS, you'll only need to purchase them once if you're using the same Apple ID on both phones. Sound good?

• convint
    convint
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, you answered my question precisely: I would prefer to set these two people up as though they were one person... and apparently, that's OK. I will mention to them to try to avoid changing the vault at the same time, though I imagine with two people on the go, this might eventually occur.

Followup question: if Dropbox returns a Conflicted Copy of the vault, would it be up to us to notice this on the Dropbox side of things or does 1Password's behavior change in any way? Would syncing stop on any of these four clients?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @convint,

On behalf of Vee, you're very welcome!

If I understand your original message, it sounds like both people share the same Dropbox account, so that makes this all much easier. What you/they will want to do is set up Dropbox sync from one computer/device, then set the others to sync with that same file in Dropbox. So, on one of the Macs, set up Dropbox sync by following these steps.

Allow the sync to complete (Dropbox needs to copy that keychain file/folder to the Dropbox servers). Then on the other Mac, follow the same steps to set up Dropbox sync, but choose the existing .agilekeychain file from Dropbox. On the iPhones, set up Dropbox sync by following the steps here.

Followup question: if Dropbox returns a Conflicted Copy of the vault, would it be up to us to notice this on the Dropbox side of things or does 1Password's behavior change in any way? Would syncing stop on any of these four clients?

The vault in Dropbox (.agilekeychain) is actually made up of tons of little, encrypted files. When there's a conflict, it creates conflict files in that keychain. When 1Password syncs with the vault in Dropbox and sees the conflict files, it creates a section in that item and labels it "Conflicts", and stores the conflicted information there. So for example, if there's a conflict in an Amazon.com Login item, we'd make a section in the Amazon login named "Conflicts" and copy the conflict data there. Then, when you view the item and see that, you can put it in edit mode and decide if that conflict info needs to stay or go.

1Password's behavior won't change, and it won't stop syncing. The same conflict info would appear on each device syncing with that same vault. If you correct the conflict info, that correction will also sync to the other devices. It's actually nothing you/they would need to worry about unless a Login item stops working because of the conflict - in which case, viewing that item would show the conflict, and you can easily fix it.

I hope that helps to answer your question! If you have more questions, just let us know. Thanks!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I wasn't sure if you were asking about licensing policy or technical functionality earlier, @convint, so I answered a little bit of both, but I wanted to add that we have more detailed info on licensing available in our knowledgebase if you're interested. A single license can be shared by up to 6 family members, which is why it's ok for a husband and wife to share one.

And, yeah, everything that @Drew_AG said. :chuffed:

• convint
    convint
    Community Member
    Options

Wow, super helpful info all around! I'll put this plan into action in the next weeks and if I run into issues or questions, I'll come back to this thread. Meanwhile, I appreciate the wonderful support. Thank you!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy to be of service, @convint! We're always here to help if anything else comes up. Meanwhile, stay awesome!

This discussion has been closed.