Can't add mail as attachments directly to 1Password anymore?

Options
_Mac
_Mac
Community Member

Problem:
In the old versions of 1Password for Mac (before v5), I could just drag and drop the mail attachments, directly from Apples Mail into a secure note's "drag'n'drop area". This is not possible anymore.

I've waited for this "obvious" bug to be fixed via the 1PWD beta-program for a long time now, but since it still not fixed, I entered this post if AB maybe totally missed this.

Usage:
I frequently use this 1PWD feature to save receipts, login info, customer data etc that I get via mail. So it's important that it works ok.

Work-around:
A temporary work-around this problem:
1. Drag mail to desktop.
2. Drag mail from desktop into 1Password "drag'n'drop area".
3. Delete mail on desktop (yes it's still saved in 1PWD).

Running on: 1Password 5, Version 5.3.BETA-31 (530031), Agile Beta and Macbook Pro latest / OS X 10.10.2

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Several others have posted about this Apple bug but none of the OS X 10.10 updates appear yet to have resolved it. Note it is an OS X bug—not a 1P bug.

Stephen

• _Mac
    _Mac
    Community Member
    Options

ok thx Stephen for the insight on this :-) I'll just have to wait until Apple fixes this then...

• Hi @_Mac,

As @Stephen_C mentioned, this is due to Mail.app breaking its Promised Files drag implementation in Yosemite. We've filed a bug with Apple, and we're trying to be patient with them fixing this. It continues to work with other Apple apps as they use another way of getting at the files, a way that we don't have access to. I'm still hopeful that this will get fixed.

Rick

• _Mac
    _Mac
    Community Member
    Options

@Rick yeah, sandboxing can be a bitch... But Apple usually get's it right in the end - even if it takes a while.

Sorry for "blaming" 1PWD about this - didn't know what caused it. Keep up the good work w 1PWD & Happy Coding :-)

• Ben
    Options

No worries. Its an easy assumption to make. :)

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member
    Options

So what am I doing wrong? I just dragged a PDF from an email msg (Mail ver. 8.2 on 10.10.2) and dropped it into an unlocked and open-for-editing Secure Note (in the AppStore version of 1Password 5.3--Thanks, btw) and it flashed the green bubble + sign and added the attachment. I saved the Note and there it is. Just to be sure, I space-barred the attachment and it pops up as expected. Maybe it's the open-for-editing step that makes the difference.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm guessing the difference might be between dragging the email and dragging the attachment to the email—but as I don't use Apple Mail I can't check that theory.

Stephen

• @vplewis : Right... as @stephen_c mentioned, there's a difference between dragging an attachment from mail (that works) versus dragging a mail message (that doesn't work). It used to be that we would get to make a copy of the emlx file, so that we could show the email in its entirety.

Rick

• _Mac
    _Mac
    Community Member
    Options

@vplewis if you just want a work-around to be able to save your mail for now – see my initial top post.

• Thanks @_Mac, I should have mentioned that as well.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.