No auto submit login with 5.3 (530032)

2»

Comments

• Meek
    edited April 2015

Hi @ckp,

Thank you for the update and thanks so much for continuing to troubleshoot this issue! Good work figuring our what was causing the issue for you!

This is still super strange, however, as auto-submit works perfectly fine for me in Safari even with Safari's autofill enabled. I think at this point we'll need to dig a little deeper into what is going on with your specific setup.

Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Also, in that email if you could let us know a few of the URLs that are not auto-submitting for you, we'll be able to test with those specifically.

Thanks again for all your help tracking this down!

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Just sent the report. Thanks.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

This is still super strange, however, as auto-submit works perfectly fine for me in Safari even with Safari's autofill enabled.

Maybe that's because you are not hitting a URL that behaves like this. Not all of my web logins have this issue with Safari auto fill setting enabled. Just most of them.

• Thanks for the report @ckp! I'll investigate and follow up through email.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

If I browse manually to one of my login pages where it fails with safari autofill enabled, I can make the auto submit work by clearing out the auto filled username and password web input fields and using the extension to try the login at that point. But if I try the safari 1password extension (or from the app itself) when the fields are automatically filled in by Safari in the normal case, the auto submit does not work. don't know if this helps or not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ckp: We certainly continue to recommend disabling browser autofill if it interferes with your 1Password use. 1Password just doesn't have any control over what Safari does.

I apologize, as I did forget to mention this earlier while trying to address the broader issue of AutoSubmit not working on your Mac. With 5.3 I'm still able to Go & Fill https://www.firsttechfed.com/ in both Safari and Chrome, and once 1Password AutoSubmits I get the expected login failure page (since I don't have a valid account):

Authentication Error
    The User ID or Password you entered is incorrect or invalid. Password is case sensitive.
    Please try again.

Thank you for mentioning that 1Password AutoSubmit works with Safari Autofill disabled. I enabled it myself to test this and found that it didn't have any effect, so in your case if you have login information saved that Safari itself is trying to fill that may be interfering with 1Password when you try to use it instead.

If I browse manually to one of my login pages where it fails with safari autofill enabled, I can make the auto submit work by clearing out the auto filled username and password web input fields and using the extension to try the login at that point.

Correct. This is how 1Password is supposed to work: with 1Password filling your login and 1Password submitting it.

But if I try the safari 1password extension (or from the app itself) when the fields are automatically filled in by Safari in the normal case, the auto submit does not work. don't know if this helps or not.

1Password should not be submitting a login that Safari is filling for you. When you tell 1Password to Go & Fill a login item, this is the only time it will do any of this:

1. Select a login
    2. Click or press Return
    3. 1Password navigates to the URL (if needed)
    4. 1Password fills the login form (if present)
    5. 1Password submits the form (if AutoSubmit is enabled)

Again, this is exactly what happens when I use 1Password for FirstTechFed, which is why it is so perplexing that it wouldn't happen on your machine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ckp: I see that Meek is working with you via email, so we will continue the conversation there. Thanks for your patience. :)

ref: QIN-83779-879

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

If it works for you even if you have saved safari fill in info for this site saved, then it seems to me like it might be a timing issue. Maybe if there was a way to tell 1password to delay just a tiny bit it would work for me.
    Remember this works for me in 5.1 regardless how it is designed to work and I like the 5.1 behavior.
    It's important to use both. I want to have safari auto sync my logins to my apple keychain so they are available on all my apple devices like iPad and iPhone. So I hope you guys will make this work again. May it can be an advanced setting in 1password if you figure it out. This is important.

Thanks.

• dfelicia
    dfelicia
    Community Member

See: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/196668#Comment_196668

@littlebobbytables chased this down to the extension. Downgrading the extension from 4.3.1 to 4.2.5 is [another] workaround.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Sweet. I just installed the older 4.2.5 extension with my 5.3 1 password and everything works again. Thanks for noting this!

• Space_Noodle
    Space_Noodle
    Community Member

Thank you @ckp for identifying the safari issue with settings. I disabled the autofill for usernames and passwords and this seemed to fix the problem. I agree, i wish this wasn't necessary so that logins would auto sync with iCloud though. @meek + @brenty thanks for having a look and trouble shooting. Could you remove the URL links I posted in my comment on April 10? Thanks!

• dfelicia
    dfelicia
    Community Member

"I disabled the autofill for usernames and passwords and this seemed to fix the problem."

^^ this does not solve all cases. For me, only downgrading 1Password to version 5.1 -OR- downgrading the extension to 4.2.5 resolves the issue with my corporate SSO login form. So there is a code regression that AgileBits needs to resolve.

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

yeah, space_noodle, you can have 1password 5.3 plus the 4.2.5 extension and have everything work, even with Safari autofill ON.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@Space_Noodle: Done. Thanks again for providing those for testing! :+1:

And thanks to everyone contributing to this discussion! All this information should help us track down the cause so we can get this working for everyone.

Just to sum up for anyone new to the thread, if you're having AutoSubmit issues after upgrading to 5.3 the following may help:

• Disabling Safari Preferences > AutoFill options
    • Downgrading to extension version 4.2.5
    • Downgrading to 1Password for Mac version 5.1 (not recommended)

I hope this helps any folks who might still be having issues. Thanks again for everyone's patience and willingness to help. Keep an eye out for updates!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just wanted to update everyone. The development team has tracked down what was causing the AutoSubmit issue for some and have a fix in the works. I can't give a time frame on this since there are a lot of other things being worked on, but keep an eye out for updates! :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Just a note for those of you like me who are running the older extension 4.2.5. You need to also disable automatic safari extension updates or it's going to update it back to 4.3.1. in safari preferences, go to the Extensions tab, click bottom left Updates and uncheck the setting to install updates automatically.

• Hey all,

Just wanted to send out another update - this has indeed been fixed and will be in the next beta of 1Password for Mac!

Once the next update is out, you should be able to use the latest extension and the latest version of 1Password with Safari's autofill enabled.

Please do let us know if you run into any issues with this update and thanks again for all your help tracking down this issue!

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member

Cool. You said fixed in next "Beta". How long do you think it will be for the next actual release version with this fix?

• Hi @ckp,

Good question :) I wish I could give you a timeline on that, but we really don't know at this point. If you would rather not try out the betas, then it will be a little bit longer until you'll be able to benefit from this fix. But the next release version will have it as well, whenever it is released :)

• DaBurner
    DaBurner
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

I found a solution to 1PW not automatically submitting after filing in on my 2013 MacBook Pro OS 10.10.3 and using Safari 8.0.5 and 1PW version 5.3
    I had the Safari/ preference/Auto Fill/ User name and passwords "checked". (like i always have had before)
    The earlier versions of 1PW worked with this preference checked, but not this latest one.

Here is what I had to do and it was no fun.
    Unchecked the Username and Passwords, preference in Safari.
    Deleted all saved user names and passwords under Privacy in preference.
    Then re-logined into all my popular web sites using 1PW and auto submit and it worked, perfectly.

It is imperative that you click on the never for this website that Safari will ask of you when you login into your web site
    after 1PW does its thing.

Bottom line is that there is a conflict with the newer version and the latest Safari 8.

If anyone has a simpler fix, I would like to know, even tho I have already resubmitted 112 websites, UGH!
    Sorry if I am coming late to this party

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DaBurner: You're not late at all, and I am sure that someone else may benefit from your experience before we get the next update out to everyone. Thanks for taking the time to share this! :)

Just to clarify for anyone else new to the thread, there is an interaction with the newest version of Safari and the 1Password extension that's causing AutoSubmit problems for some people. We have a fix for this coming, so keep an eye out for updates.

In the mean time, there are a few workarounds in a previous post. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.