Auto-Fill One Time Password?

Options
2»

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @kevinawoo! I'm glad that feature was so helpful for you. It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, so it's a beta-only feature for now. We just released version 6.6.2, which is a stable release, but it shouldn't be long before we have another beta version ready to go, and hopefully that will have the feature like the other recent betas. :)

• tylerb24
    tylerb24
    Community Member
    Options

I'm interested in this feature. Is there a way to use the OTP as a variable in my autofill password? Many sites that use OTP won't have two separate fields, they'll have "type in your password + OTP" so it would be pretty great to put into the pw field in 1P "mygreatpass" and have it paste in thepassword and append the current OTP code.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tylerb24: While I haven't personally encountered that much, a good option in those cases is to edit the item to disable autosubmit for it. That way when you fill it with 1Password, the TOTP code will be copied to the clipboard, and you can paste it into the appropriate field and submit the form yourself (Return typically works). Cheers! :)

• lenusch
    lenusch
    Community Member
    Options

two Years now. Is this feature "auto fill in OTP" gonna get stable or not?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lenusch,

I think there might be some confusion over the feature that we've mentioned is in beta versions, because there is currently no feature in 1Password (beta or stable) that will automatically fill one-time passwords for you. As mentioned previously in this thread, the 1Password extension doesn't support filling custom fields (such as a one-time password field).

There's a feature that has been in beta versions which will automatically copy a one-time password to the clipboard after the 1Password extension fills the regular username & password (so you can easily paste it in the web form when prompted). I don't know when that feature will be ready to be included in stable versions. I'm sure it will be at some point, but there's no specific time frame yet.

Sorry I don't have more specific information for you, but thanks for letting us know you're interested in that! :)

• lenusch
    lenusch
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

this would at least be something good :-)
    copy auto and paste manually. Would help alot.
    But nvm, its discussed since ... 2015, really?

Can't imagine that its so hard to make such a Function. As your APP seems doing rest of things on the fly. :-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lenusch,

To be fair, the discussion that started in this thread in 2015 wasn't about the "auto-copy" feature at all - it was originally about having 1Password automatically fill your one-time passwords for you. That's technically different than the feature we're now working on, which automatically copies the one-time password after filling a sign-in form.

Discussion of the "auto-copy" feature in this thread started less than a year ago, and the feature itself was introduced in beta versions even more recently than that. So, don't let the date of the first post in this thread fool you - we haven't been working on or discussing the "auto-copy" feature that entire time. ;)

• lenusch
    lenusch
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG ok.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• dawsontoth
    dawsontoth
    Community Member
    Options

+1 I'd love to see the extension recognize and auto-fill the OTP. (Auto-copy-to-clipboard seems like a hack, albeit better than having to navigate around 1Password to get the OTP.)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2017
    Options

I dunno. If that's a hack, I'm thirsty for more! :tongue:

Certainly I think we can all imagine a magical capability with which 1Password always knows exactly how to fill all of the details saved, regardless of the website, but as we haven't (yet?) achieved that for all "traditional" username/password login forms, which everyone uses, that really needs to be our focus.

Imagine if 1Password worked by automatically copying username and password to the clipboard one at a time so you could paste them! So I think we've come a long way, even if we're still not satisfied and want to make it better. Cheers! :)

• chriscn
    chriscn
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my vote to see the OTP autofilled; however it may be more difficult as a lot of sites don't have the OTP on the first login page but a second.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@chriscn: Thanks for your interest! While you're right that in many cases this is a second page, that really just puts a slight burden on the user, since it would be necessary to invoke 1Password there as well. The real trick is recognizing the field as this specific sort of non-password password to fill that instead of the regular password. It's in interesting challenge, but we get plenty of that with traditional logins anyway. ;)

• Ulmo
    Ulmo
    Community Member
    Options

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE! I've been waiting for 1password to figure out that this is a nearly required feature. I'm sick and tired of clicking or pushing a million buttons to fill in the One-Time Password for almost all of my sites. At least 1password HAS OTP, but they could really make it a lot better. For instance, have a "fill" option, have a "copy then exit" option, have a "search for query for OTP and fill in automatically" option, just like with passwords. It could hone in on making it work well with places like Amazon and such.

• Ulmo
    Ulmo
    Community Member
    Options

UM, WAIT, you already had it? How could it be taken away if it already worked well? It's a pretty obvious feature to add, especially if you already had it working in some capacity. The best capacity would be for it to work as well as filling in username and password.

While I'm talking about that, some sites ask for password on a different page, so that would be nice too, but for now the one time password support would be great. Here's a list of some web sites that use it:

Amazon.Com
    CEX.IO
    CoinBase.Com
    DigitalOcean.Com
    Gandi.Net
    TeslaMotorsClub.com
    Twitter.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE! I've been waiting for 1password to figure out that this is a nearly required feature. I'm sick and tired of clicking or pushing a million buttons to fill in the One-Time Password for almost all of my sites. At least 1password HAS OTP, but they could really make it a lot better. For instance, have a "fill" option, have a "copy then exit" option, have a "search for query for OTP and fill in automatically" option, just like with passwords. It could hone in on making it work well with places like Amazon and such.

@Ulmo: All sites are different. This would have to be coded specifically for each site in many cases, and right now we're focused on improving username/password filling in that same fashion, since that's what the vast majority of people are using, and will therefore benefit the greatest number of users.

UM, WAIT, you already had it? How could it be taken away if it already worked well? It's a pretty obvious feature to add, especially if you already had it working in some capacity. The best capacity would be for it to work as well as filling in username and password.

What are you talking about? What did we have and take away? The automatic TOTP copy feature is still in beta. You're welcome to try that now, or wait for the stable release.

While I'm talking about that, some sites ask for password on a different page, so that would be nice too, but for now the one time password support would be great. Here's a list of some web sites that use it:

1Password does not currently support automatically filling any login credentials automatically across multiple pages; rather, it only fills on a page when you tell it to. This is limited to static information currently (username, password, and often other fields which you save using the browser extension). If you're having trouble with that on a specific site, please start a new discussion in the browser filling category of the forums so we can help. Either way, we'll continue to improve 1Password, and perhaps automatic TOTP filling is something we can do in a future version.

• ManWithNoBrows
    ManWithNoBrows
    Community Member
    Options

I'll chime in as an engineer. (I'm not on their team mind you; I've just been a web developer since 2003.)

As your system can put the code in the clipboard, here's a quick and easy way to make it get added to the correct box on any site.

1. Have the user log in manually once, and have 1Password look at what gets submitted to that page.
    2. Have your software guess at which one is the correct input text for the code, and give the user the option of selecting other boxes it saw, or even entering a custom name. At this point you now know the input box name and you know it's value.
    3. When the user goes to log in on a site where the box name is already added to the software, inject JS code into the site, or use whatever method you use to add the username and password to the site.

In JS, just do: document.getElementsByName("q")[0].value = "test";

Voila! A 2-year-long problem is solved. Now you just need to implement it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ManWithNoBrows - thanks for the suggestion! We're always looking for ways to improve 1Password. We can't always accomplish them all on the timeline people would like to see, but we are always grateful for every bit of feedback from the community. So, thanks for being a part of that! :)

This discussion has been closed.