Preventing 1P popup

Options

The records I have in 1P for Mac (5.3) do not always match the website I go to, based on how I enter the records into 1P. When I go to these websites and enter my password, sans 1P, 1P always pops up telling me to unlock and save the logon. How can I prevent this popup.

For example, I have a record in my email category. This record contains all of my email logins and passwords. since the format does not comply with 1P's 'brain', it is always popping up, which can be very annoying.

Other than saving the login as a different record, what can I do?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The problem here has nothing to do with the format of your login record. 1Password has not even got to looking at it since your vault is still locked. It has to prompt to unlock to find out whether there is a matching record.

That said, there is an option on the Auto-Save tab in Preferences called "Disable Auto-Save when vault is locked". That should sort you out. Bear in mind though that if you set that option then it will no longer prompt for any item when the vault is locked.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Now that I know about it, I can turn it on/off based on need. Most of them I use the min bar to login so I really don't need the prompting.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. Next problem is that I do not see any option dealing with auto-lock, let alone disabling it. What am I missing, besides a pair of good eyes?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Damn, I hate this mixed platform forum. Just noticed you're on Mac. I think the option was added to the Windows app recently. I guess it might not exist on the Mac app yet.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51,

At the moment you only have couple of options, so I'll list them and we'll see if any work for you.

1. You could turn Automatically ask to save new Logins off.
    2. You could add domain exceptions if you're only seeing this on particular sites e.g. your email ones.

Now I don't actually use the Automatically ask to save new Logins feature of 1Password in my day to day usage but many do and love the feature so while it would stop the pop-up I'm not suggesting it's a great option.

Now option 2. might be better as it seems this mostly stems from items in your Email Account category. The next time the pop-up appears you could click on the gear in the bottom left hand corner and select the Never Autosave for this site option.

There is a third option (I suppose). I used the Email Account type extensively for a while but what I realised is if you use a webmail interface at all a Login item is actually a much better way of storing the username and password and then I use an Email Account item for the stuff to set up a standalone client e.g. port numbers and URLs etc. This is very much a preference of course.

Basically we don't have a great solution at the moment for you as a Mac user. I hope one of those may help until we come up with something better for a future update to the application. If you have any questions please do ask.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Tested out your ideas and found that option 2 works best for me. Thanks.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

PS. Will look into splitting my emails into separate logins later.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad we could help find something that works for you @rlgleason51.

If you have any questions or issues going forward you know where we are :smile:

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

One question. I have all of my email accounts as one record in the email category. Each email is in a separate section. Info for each email record includes the password. If i separate each email into it's own login record in the login category, is there any reason why I should NOT remove the login ID and password from the record in the email category?

I have this situation in other categories where, for example, I have a record in memberships and in login. Result is duplicate login info, which cannot b good, right?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51,

With my own approach I don't keep duplicate information. I keep the only record of my username and password in the Login item as you're correct, duplicate information can only ever lead to confusion.

For example, if I had more than one Gmail account I would have a Login item for each (so I can log in via a web browser) but if I also wanted to keep IMAP information handy I would have something like this.

As you can see, just the generic details but obviously needed on those rare occasions you have to set up access in say Thunderbird or Mail.

Now if you prefer to keep the login details in the Email Account item too you could use tags to create an association between these items rather than relying completely on memory. That's what I kind of do with my Credit Card items, I tag them and then tag Login items for online stores so I know which uses which.

I hope some of that is useful :smile:

This discussion has been closed.