Question: Password Fill-in for sites does not work - has there been a recent change in 1Password?

I don’t see another post that corresponds to this question:

What doesn’t work:
I am not getting the log-ins on sites to work from 1Password the past few days.

What happens:
I click the 1 passwork log-in & it just keeps taking me to the login page of my sites, but no longer fills in.
I have to cut & paste th information from the 1 password entries individually to get the sites to work.

Logically, ALL these sites could not have changed ovenight, so the ‘disconnect’ is probably in 1Password.
Which is why I ask the question.

Other information:
I have not moved to the recent 5.3 download of 1Password.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RunInCircles ,

First of all, I would recommend that you update to version 5.3 of 1Password, which includes some upgrades to 1Password's 'brain' that handles filling.

If updating doesn't help, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• Which browser are you using and what is its version number?
    • What is the version number of your browser extension? (This can normally be found in the browser’s preferences, in the ‘extensions’ pane.)
    • Could you share a few URLs that are giving you trouble?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RunInCircles,

Just to let you know, I have deleted your duplicate comment and moved this discussion to the Saving and Filling in Browsers forum which seemed more appropriate.

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member

What failed:
    Quite a variety. Gmail, Apple accounts & even the log-in here.

The problem may be a transient, in that 2 restarts & a Disk rebuild later, some of the log-in fill-ins are back. Haven't had occasion to test all sites.

On the side:
    I am running 5x just prior to 5.3.
    Can't upgrade anything via appstore - I am locked out without an old security question answer -- Apple hasn't been helpful resolving.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RunInCircles,

We're sorry to hear you're having trouble accessing your Apple account. We wish you the best in resolving this as recently Apple has had to get very strict on security due to miscreants using social engineering to try and gain access. The sad fact is bad people screw it up for everybody :(

Now we did make a big change in how filling works but only in version 5.3. Prior to version 5.3 we released 1Password 5.1 for Mac back at the end of January so it would seem likely you've been running 5.1 for a while. Given this it wouldn't seem likely to be the actual application.

If you're having to copy and paste that sounds like the Browser extension isn't working for whatever reason. If I'm correct in this then if some sites are now working all should be. If a particular browser is still giving you problems it might be worth uninstalling our extension, rebooting the machine for good measure and trying to reinstall. If it is successful I would expect all filling for that browser to start working again.

Please do keep us updated though!

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

I seem to be working well enough with 1Password again, thanks.
    Not sure why it went awry, but it did & while the machine was in session (no reboot in between). I will check back if it recurs.

It wasn’t the browser (Safari 8.0.5) causing the issue, as far as I can tell: (?) The 1Password browser plug-in version was 4.3.1. I have now uninstalled & reinstalled it.

I tend to launch 1Password from the menu bar & don’t generally use the browser plug-in. Unless for some reason I recently deviated from that practice one time.

Well, I’ve finally found a good reason to use the Secure Notes feature in 1Password! It may serve to record security question responses there. Enough hints to jog my memory better, if not the whole security answer itself. For my accounts with 2 step verification, that’s probably not the place to record a recovery key.

The Apple account side & latest version 5.3: No need to be sorry. That’s getting to be a chronic phrase these days! (People shouldn’t need to be sorry for things they are not responsible for!)

The dalliance was merely an explanation why I am not upgraded to the latest version of 1Password per previous suggestion. Sounds as though being locked out is a fairly common occurence, from my investigation. In my case, I am identified, but latest policy requires another hoop despite the security people at Apple being otherwise helpful.

I would have checked in about launching from an Agilebits website version of 1Password 5.3 (how I started buying 1Password): I didn’t want to complicate things in the event that I regain full access to my AppleID & cannot return to updating from Appstore. (If I remember correctly, there was a one-time move to the appstore for 1Password updates).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RunInCircles,

Do you still have your Apple receipt for 1Password that they would have emailed you? If you do then email us the receipt at support+licenses@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and a quick explanation. Being locked out of your paid for applications for whatever reason sucks the big one (when wouldn't it) and we're nice here :smile:

Regarding the 1Password Browser Extension. Even if you don't directly invoke it it still plays a pivotal part of the process. I'm like yourself but more keyboard orientated. I use ⌘\ to fill or ⌥⌘\ to bring up the 1Password mini menu as I now have so many icons in my menu bar I remove whatever ones aren't absolutely necessary. Going back to the extension, when we fill we pass on the information to the extension that then interacts with the browser. If the extension isn't working for any reason then filling can't occur. Clicking on a URL from within either the main 1Password window or the mini will still work as we first pass the URL to the browser using standard URIs but then we again have to rely on the extension being able to interact with 1Password to proceed from there. It might be we never discover what the cause of this blip was but if it reoccurs do let us know.

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Quickly: Thanks. I will see if I can muster that information up.

Update: Running 5.1 (build 510027) on desktop & beats me where to find the version on iOS!

Non sequitur Aside:
    I can’t complain very much about Apple’s policy, after all - security & convenience both is why I use 1Password. I’m glad Apple is a little anal, except in this instance. They already have established I am the owner & still require a policy hurdle anyway. Meanwhile, I am locked out of 3rd party content via the appstore & even music purchases.

My problem is that I’m nearly pathological about security & my security question answers tend to be oblique & sometimes even obscure to me & I almost never use the same ones twice.

After all, everywhere you go:
    Checks on identity often require last 4 digits of a charge card number, or SSN, or a birthdate, etc. Or canned answers to the same handful of questions. Or the “security code” on the back of a charge plate, which only guards against RFID theft if one doesn’t rely on a Faraday box.

Well, that shortcut very nearly becomes the de facto password!
    No need for a full number any longer, because the back check relies on a truncated version!
    Thus a theft may only need that truncated version.

I am a little guarded about the 4 digit quick entry into 1Password as well. I’m glad its there, but I think perhaps it could be enhanced. I don’t know what precisely would address the 4 digit entry better in 1Password, however.

Its a major inconvenience to type a long, full password all the time. It is doubly inconvenient to do on a small mobile device, especially for characters which require flipping the keyboard to special characters. Likely a lot of people don’t pick passwords that require such manipulations.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RunInCircles: In 1Password for iOS you can find the version in Settings (down toward the bottom, right above Advanced).

My problem is that I’m nearly pathological about security & my security question answers tend to be oblique & sometimes even obscure to me & I almost never use the same ones twice.

This is an excellent practice that I use myself wherever possible! I like it when companies allow me to choose not only the answer to the security question but also the question itself, for example.

Well, that shortcut very nearly becomes the de facto password!

Sadly, this is true in many cases. :(

Its a major inconvenience to type a long, full password all the time. It is doubly inconvenient to do on a small mobile device, especially for characters which require flipping the keyboard to special characters. Likely a lot of people don’t pick passwords that require such manipulations.

Indeed! And who can blame them? I guess that's why we use 1Password in the first place! I'm glad that your are able to benefit from 1Password once again at least. Hopefully you'll be able to regain access to your Apple account and put the rest behind you as well!

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited April 2015

Hiya Brenty,

It wasn’t that I lost access to 1Password; it was just inconvenient to cut & paste while my artifacts were occuring. (I still have to figure out how & where to find the receipt info to bump to 5.3, as I am pretty sure I bought from Agilebits directly & then moved to updates via appstore).

I suspect the password fill-in condition was tied to my VPN, or possibly a recurring “SIMBL error” message that popped. [I dumped the SIMBL folder as superfluous].

I tend to disconnect from active networks when not using a desktop for extended periods even if I leave the machine running. It is set to require the VPN connection. I’ve found that I have to log-out & re-log-in as user on the computer in order to get the network location to reactivate if the computer is left running overnight.

RECOGNIZING MY MOBILE VERSION
    Really odd. There is no way to verify the currect version of 1Password, or other apps.

Going to iTunes on the desktop, I have the “update” banner across the 1Password icon & that tends to offer what the NEW version will be. Nothing in settings even gets me to the current info.

SECURITY QUESTIONS
    The topic has gone a little tangential, but is in keeping with the core subject, I s’pose:
    A big problem in getting too creative with security questions -- having the same inspiration, or flight of fancy if you forget the answer.

I like fashioning my own security questions too, but trying to think of a question can be equally problematic. At least for me–because I’m in a rush to get the app/site access, rather than devise too intricate a strategy. Thinking of a question & a snappy answer that no one would guess is just a step too far some days & few sites let you write your own!

Writing the security answers in Secure Notes is probably a good plan. I don’t think I foresee recovery keys going into Secure Notes unless there is another password for Secure Notes. A blend of online & offline is probably safest. I just got lazy tracking answers.

TYPING CONVENIENCE
    The part you bolded in quoting, is even safer left unsaid. People respond to inconvenience first & often never think far enough that other people (& crooks) do too. Its more about deciding how much is just one toe over the line in complexity. Inconvenience on a mobile device means that what gets used as a password also weakens the synced desktop–if the same password gets used.

Normally, the 4 digit quick entry to 1Password & 5-10 minute lockout time is just about right for a mobile device. I sometimes use my device in places which results in multiple display of the code which can be seen looking over your shoulder: That is when I wish there were a better strategy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

(I still have to figure out how & where to find the receipt info to bump to 5.3, as I am pretty sure I bought from Agilebits directly & then moved to updates via App Store).

@RunInCircles: In order to gain access to the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you would have to have purchased from Apple, not AgileBits. So there would be a record of it in your App Store purchase history, and also an email receipt. If you purchase from Apple, we can give you a license as well (if you need to use an older version for an older computer, for instance) for the 'website version' of 1Password, but Apple will of course not honour purchases made through the AgileBits Store.

I am actually a little concerned that you might have encountered some confusion having purchased from Apple but running the AgileBits version. Please double-check to make sure you're using the version you expect.

Really odd. There is no way to verify the currect version of 1Password, or other apps.

Rather than looking in iTunes, you can find the version in 1Password for iOS under Settings, toward the bottom above Advanced.

I like fashioning my own security questions too, but trying to think of a question can be equally problematic.

This is what I do when I'm given the opportunity to create my own security questions and answers:

Question: kfyzVH2qKkDKnXAfZ7Ptu
    Answer: kFZuJLEF7pLhmdNMRJ9XR

And then of course when I don't get to pick the question I can still copy it to save in 1Password -- along with my ridiculous, randomly-generated answer for it. ;)

The part you bolded in quoting, is even safer left unsaid. People respond to inconvenience first & often never think far enough that other people (& crooks) do too. Its more about deciding how much is just one toe over the line in complexity. Inconvenience on a mobile device means that what gets used as a password also weakens the synced desktop–if the same password gets used.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :+1:

Normally, the 4 digit quick entry to 1Password & 5-10 minute lockout time is just about right for a mobile device. I sometimes use my device in places which results in multiple display of the code which can be seen looking over your shoulder: That is when I wish there were a better strategy.

Indeed. The problem becomes that in order for you to be able to see your login information, it will also necessarily be visible to others close by as well. We're always exploring new ideas, so we appreciate your feedback and any suggestions you might have. :)

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member

What do I need to do to reassign my copy of 1Password to Agilebits, instead of MacAppstore?
    I believe the desktop version started at Agilebits & was transferred to Appstore. Don’t know where that leaves my mobile version.

I think I shall stop buying from the Appstore permanently:
    My Apple ID is still not resolved & it seems they’re willing to duck behind procedure & hold my 3rd party apps hostage.

I’ve already changed to another music source.
    My $2000 in music purchases alone is inconsequential to them.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RunInCircles,

So sorry to hear of your troubles with the App Store. :( But the good news is that you can download 1Password for Mac from our website for free and pretty easily migrate your data from the Mac App Store version to the new version.

1Password for iOS, however, is only available through the iOS App Store, so hopefully you can regain access, or create a new Apple ID. I wish you the best of luck with that!

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

Thanks Vee.

The links are going to be useful for the desktop.
    The mobile app is going to be a decision linchpin for me.

I have been holding off on the transfer to a new ID with the idea that I can get the old Apple ID in working order & am nearly at the end of my rope. Just barely a thread of hope. (I am Apple verified, but they're being a stickler about following mindless procedure despite that fact!)

Over & above a fit of pique:
    Once I buy anything via a new ID, I resign all efforts toward the old one, since I can’t flip back & forth should the old one become usable again after I made that move. Its my understanding there’s a 90 day lockout if you flip back & forth between IDs a couple of times.

I will quit using a lot of purchased apps, if I am forced to rebuy them. OR rebuy them AVOIDING the Appstore in the future.

1Password is indispensible on a mobile device & that is one I’d bite the bullet on.

I’d recommend a hardcopy of all Apple ID info, including answers to security questions be kept in a safety deposit box, or embed them in 1Password. The procedure is nearly as difficult as a 2 step recovery password.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Hi @RunInCircles,

I sympathize with your predicament; an Apple ID is pretty important on an iPhone, so I do hope you are able to get yours back soon. In the meantime, unfortunately, there's not much we can do for you without an Apple ID.

You may want to consider making a new Apple ID in the meantime, just to get the free version of 1Password so that you can still access all your logins and data. The rest is really between you and Apple, but we have our fingers crossed for you! :)

• RunInCircles
    RunInCircles
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

Hello Vee,

Mobile device, but not an iPhone. Didn’t say it was a phone.
    Not too sure about the technology -- I still think telephones are a passing fad!

I can get to the data I have NOW. But there are 25 apps waiting to be updated on the desktop & over 50 on iOS devices, most are innocuous, but a few are important. 1Password among them.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RunInCircles,

Sorry, you're right, I should've said iOS device. The one that's not a passing fad. ;)

This discussion has been closed.