New Login Does Not Work [website altered contents of username field]

1NoahTN
1NoahTN
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

I just tried to set up a new login on a site that required one symbol in password. I used a PW that was not generated by 1PW because I had not set up 1PW to generate symbols as part of a new password. 1PW saved the login info and it was correct when I checked it. When I manually log into the site everything works. When I use 1PW to login I get an error message that the PW is not correct. I have changed 1PW so that it is now generating passwords with symbols included. Any suggestions why 1PW will not login automatically, please. Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1NoahTN,

There could be a couple of reasons going on here. The first thing to discover is how did you create your new Login item? I ask as there are a couple of ways.

1. Creating a basic Login item. This is what I call creating a blank item from within the main 1Password window and manually filling in the details.
    2. There is How to manually save a Login.
    3. Similar to 2. there is Automatically ask to save new Logins which should work the same but sometimes it doesn't recognise a login page if it's unusual enough.

So if there is a problem we usually start by asking if it improves if they follow approach 2. If that doesn't help it might be we need to work on compatibility with this site. If that's the case would you mind supplying the URL so we can test it?

Hopefully we'll find a working solution :smile:

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried manually saving per the instructions. It did not correct the problem but I may see what is causing the issue. It is a financial web site that I am working with. The site required a social security number for the user name. When 1 PM puts the user name into the login it uses *'s for the first digits of the username and only displays the last 4 digits. Is this causing my problem on login?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @1NoahTN,

I can't remember the specific sites at the moment but I know we've come across a couple of financial sites where they used JavaScript to alter the contents of the username field. As a result the field actually included asterisks and 1Password 'accurately' recorded what was there. If memory serves me correctly, manually editing the Login item afterwards to replace the obfuscated username corrected the issue.

Financial sites are the toughest ones for us to crack for a variety of reasons. The most unusual log in procedures tend to be financial sites and the majority of them tend to be multi-page affairs which limits access for testing purposes. They are a challenge!

• 1NoahTN
    1NoahTN
    Community Member

Just to let you know, the problem is solved. I edited the information in 1PW by changing the *'s in the user name to the correct information. Sometimes the simple things like this can make one feel a little stupid.
    Thanks again,

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

You have nothing to feel stupid over @1NoahTN! This particular behaviour is one we've only observed in a couple of sites at is different to the other 99% or more of the sites out there. You become accustomed to the idea that you type in your details and when 1Password saves the Login it saves it correctly. It has thrown off a few people when they comes across it and it's a shame that there isn't an easy fix we can place in 1Password to bypass this. I'm glad we could help you get it working :smile:

This discussion has been closed.