Possible to Open a Vault with only the vault password? without the master password

Options
codinghack
codinghack
Community Member

Is it possible to open a vault with only the vault password without entering in the master password? This would address the dream feature 1password 3 had and was lost with the upgrade to 4 described here. It would also allow you to make touch id work for a subset of passwords (by vault). This would be an amazing feature. I'm drooling at thought. :)

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @codinghack,

It is not currently possible to unlock 1Password for iOS with anything other than the primary vault's Master Password (using touch ID or a PIN code still relies on this password). That said, we certainly appreciate the feedback, and I'll be happy to pass it along to our development team.

Thanks!

Ben

• JWPII
    JWPII
    Community Member
    Options

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE ME TO OBTAIN MY FORGOTTEN PW !
    THANK YOU BROTHER.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE ME TO OBTAIN MY FORGOTTEN PW !

Are you referring to the master password you use to unlock 1Password? If so, I'm afraid the only way you will be able to unlock 1P is by remembering that password. There is no "back door" to let you in without that password. There are some hints and tips in this knowledge base article which may help you to remember:

My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hopefully the link supplied by Stephen_C will help @JWPII. As Stephen_C has covered we don't know or store your Master Password at all and there is no back door as the existence of one would be a significant security risk. The sad truth is if you have genuinely forgotten your Master Password then you are locked out. I hope this isn't the case for you.

• codinghack
    codinghack
    Community Member
    Options

Since this thread has become active again, was curious if any more thought was given for adding support to open a vault with only the vault password without entering in the master password? Thanks again.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @codinghack,

Such a change would require some fairly significant infrastructure changes in the way 1Password works with vaults. As such it isn't something that we'll likely see at least until the next major upgrade, if our developers decide to go that direction.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.