Vaults in a mess...

Options
Porkcrackling
Porkcrackling
Community Member

I seem to have got my 1password vaults in a bit of a mess. I use the app on 3 devices - iPhone 5s (iOS 8.3), iPad Air (iOS8.3) and Windows PC (7). It would appear that each device is using a separate vault and I need to merge them back together. Please can someone give me some suggestions as to how to resolve this? The situation appears to be as follows:

My Windows version is probably the most complete vault, and is set to sync via Dropbox.
My iPad Air is set to sync via iCloud, so is now slightly different to the Windows vault.
My iPhone is not set to sync at all. When I try and sync it with my Dropbox vault, it tells me that I should not merge vaults as they are too different, but it then goes on to tell me I only have 22 items in Dropbox. This is despite the fact that my Windows vault that seems to sync successfully via Dropbox has over 250 items... Very confusing.

Any good ideas where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Porkcrackling.

Comments

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi there @Porkcrackling,

This is definitely something that can be done. The warning about merging is not that it is saying you should not do it .It's just trying to make you aware it's happening so you don't do it by accident. In your case it's not at all unexpected that you are merging because they are separate vaults.

More importantly though, if it looks like the vaults you have in DropBox are not correct, you should check to make sure everything first. Go to Windows and make sure it is set up to sync with DropBox. It should be pointing to a file the ends with ".opvault" as that is the only type of vault that Windows can sync to. Then make sure that everything is synced on that side.

For your iPad and iPhone, if you don't have any data you want to keep, you can delete and re-install the app or go to Settings > Advanced > Erase Data and Settings. If you do want to keep them, disconnect sync and make sure you select the vault you selected on the Windows side and merge them.

• Porkcrackling
    Porkcrackling
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there Nathan,

Thank you for the quick response. Can you tell me if there is an easy way to check that the Windows vault sync with Dropbox is working correctly? If I go into the Windows app, and click on File>Preferences and look under the General tab then the 1password Vault refers to ....\Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain. If I look in Dropbox, there is a folder called 1Password.agilekeychain. There are 3 further folders inside here (a, config and data) along with 30 or so HTML documents all labelled 1Password and a number. Does this look correct?

Once I know this vault is working correctly, I'm sure I can work on sorting out the others, but I need to be able to sync with one I am happy with first!

Thanks in advance.

Porkcrackling

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Porkcrackling ,

If I go into the Windows app, and click on File>Preferences and look under the General tab then the 1password Vault refers to ....\Dropbox\1Password.agilekeychain.

That looks like you're all set up correctly!

My iPhone is not set to sync at all. When I try and sync it with my Dropbox vault, it tells me that I should not merge vaults as they are too different, but it then goes on to tell me I only have 22 items in Dropbox.

Are you logged in with the same Dropbox account on all computers and devices?

When you see that merge warning, you should have the option to show more info. There you'll see the precise discrepancy in vaults. Sometimes this warning is a bit more dire than necessary, so you don't need to immediately dismiss it if the difference between the vaults is not too great.

Please let me know if this helps. :)

• Porkcrackling
    Porkcrackling
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

All sorted now, thank you. My iPhone suddenly decided it could actually find the right number of items in Dropbox so I was able to sync this without too much concern (98.7% similarity). I did remove a random file that it looks like I accidentally filed within my Dropbox vault - perhaps that's why the iPhone was not displaying the right number of items from the Dropbox vault initially?

Anyway, all devices are now syncing to the same place, so please consider this successfully solved!

Cheers

Porkcrackling

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear you are back up and running Prokcrackling! Thanks for the update!

This discussion has been closed.