Safari Extention don't remember PIN Code auth when first sign in is through extension.

Options
Damnatus
Damnatus
Community Member

Hi,

Because this is my first post I would like to thank you for 1Password. Your application, the documentation and vital support gave me the trust to switch from paper-driven-password lists with over 80 Passwords on one double-page (yes, it looks very messy!) to a digital vault - 1Password.

My question is related to a behavior which I can observe using the safari extension. I'm using a PIN Code and after an iPhone restart or when the daily Master Password request occurs and I use the extension for the first sign-in it doesn't remember to use the PIN Code from now on.

Only when I sign on over the 1Password App the extension uses PIN Code auth. Searchig through Google a text snippet I found says that the extension can't determine the App status, so it fall backs to the Master Password request. Sadly I didn't find this snippet in the linked page. So I would like to know if this is a bug or limited through extension design.

Technical Stuff:
iPhone 5
iOS 8.3 (12F70)
1Password 5.4.1
Sync: Dropbox

If there any further questions I'd be glad to assist you :)

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Damnatus,

Thanks for the kind words! Glad to hear 1Password has been helpful. :)

I'm using a PIN Code and after an iPhone restart or when the daily Master Password request occurs and I use the extension for the first sign-in it doesn't remember to use the PIN Code from now on.

This is working as intended. When the device is restarted or the timeout occurs the Master Password is removed from the iOS keychain. You can read more about this here:

https://support.1password.com/master-password-ios-keychain/

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff : Thank you for this fast response! :)

Maybe I have expressed me incorrectly or misleading, so let me rephrase it: The question was not about that the re-entering of the Master Password under certain circumstances works correctly but that this first re-entering over the safari extension doesn't unlock the PIN Code auth, instead I have to reenter the Master Password the next time.

Only when I enter the Master Password in the App the PIN Code is activated. So I think entering the Master Password through the Extension doesn't store it in the iOS keychain and therefore PIN Code isn't activated.

Or did I get something wrong and you get what I wrote. Does your "This is working as intended" include the written above?

Best wishes!

• Jasper
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @Damnatus,

So I think entering the Master Password through the Extension doesn't store it in the iOS keychain and therefore PIN Code isn't activated.

That's correct — this is the current behaviour. Unlocking the extension does not affect the unlock state of the main app, or future instances of the extension.

However, we just released a new beta version yesterday that improves this.

From the 5.4.2.BETA-1 release notes:

Touch ID will be used after entering the Master Password in the 1Password Extension.

This should also apply to the PIN Code if you're using it, not just Touch ID.

If all goes well in beta testing, you should see this improvement in the next update. :)

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    Options

That sounds awesome! Really glad to hear it'll come soon! :D

• Ben
    Options

:)

This discussion has been closed.