Trouble with Okta Login and auto-save

Options

Comments

• bensherman
    bensherman
    Community Member
    Options

@khad Installed and verified it's fixed! Thanks for the efforts!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bensherman,

It's our pleasure to help! Glad that things are working as expected now. Appreciate your confirmation. :)

• teknologika
    teknologika
    Community Member
    Options

@khad It is still not working for me on my work machine. I am on the AppStore Version, so I can only install the beta browser extension by itself. I am also on El Capitan Beta 4, safari Version 9.0 (11601.1.41).

So that combo may be the problem. I'll check tonight on a "normal" machine running Yosemite.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@teknologika,

Please do let me know how it goes using the current stable versions of OS X and the main 1Password app. You only need to use the beta extension to test this. The main 1Password app can be the stable version.

It wasn't clear to me if that was your setup on El Capitan or not: stable 1Password app, beta extension. Note also that the extension require the main 1Password app to be installed in order to function. I wasn't sure what you meant by "I can only install the beta browser extension by itself", but I wanted to make sure you mention that. :)

• teknologika
    teknologika
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

So the base app is 1Password Version 5.3 (530029) Mac App Store. The extension is 1Password Beta (4.4.3.b2) and Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11 Beta (15A235d).

Meaning I can't install the latest beta channel of 1Password for the main app, like I used to before I needed iCloud support ...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

AFAIK, the beta app is not required. Only the beta extension. Do let me know if you have a different experience in Yosemite.

And, just for kicks, you may try restarting the browser on El Cap to see if that make any difference. It shouldn't. But it should also be working, so it's worth a shot. :)

• teknologika
    teknologika
    Community Member
    Options

@khad Restarted again and still the same issue. I tried Chrome as well and that has the same problem too ...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@teknologika,

And this is all still on El Cap? Or have you tried on Yosemite as well?

• teknologika
    teknologika
    Community Member
    Options

El cap.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@teknologika: Thanks for confirming that you're seeing this on the OS X (and Safari) beta. We're continuing to monitor and test there. Looking forward to things settling down in the coming months prior to release. :pirate:

• bryanrcampbell
    bryanrcampbell
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome! @khad - I tried it with extension version 4.4.3.2 and it works great! Many thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great! I'm glad everything is working well for you too, @bryanrcampbell. Thank you for confirming that for us. :)

Best wishes.

• ILikeVoltron
    ILikeVoltron
    Community Member
    Options

The beta browser extension works great on okta now. Thanks guys!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the confirmation! You are most welcome! :)

• andematt
    andematt
    Community Member
    Options

This appears to have snuck it's way back in. I'm on extension beta 4.5.0.1 and started seeing 1password prompt to save at Okta login. Switching to the beta extension back in August did solve the problem at that time.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @andematt,

Damn, you're quite right it has :( Thank you for alerting us to this. Hopefully the speed at which you noticed should mean this isn't too hard to fix as we only have to look at the differences we've made recently.

ref: OPX-1010

• dmonterroso
    dmonterroso
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also seeing this issue as well. Its pretty frustrating because I have to login to Okta at least a couple dozen times a day.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @dmonterroso,

I'm sorry and I hope we can get this addressed soon. I do apologise for the delay.

• synfinatic
    synfinatic
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, I'm still seeing this under Chrome w/ plugin 4.5.0.2 (beta) under Yosemite & 1pass 5.5.BETA-19.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @synfinatic,

You're right, it still isn't working. The regression is because we fixed a real problem elsewhere and it caused this to return. It isn't obvious from the page but what's happening according to one of our developers is our password change form method is being fired as while we only see a single password field on the page there are actually three present. That places it into the structure we normally only see on a password change form. So we haven't forgotten about this, it's just proving a bit more tricky than anticipated. I will be happy once we've sorted this one out.

• drloksoft
    drloksoft
    Community Member
    Options

+1 same issue for me

1Password Mini Beta Chrome Extension 4.5.0.2
    1Password 5.4.1
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.1
    Google Chrome 46

looking forward to a fix!

• andematt
    andematt
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on this? It's still an annoyance everyday for us Okta users. Looking at the source of the login page it almost seems like they're trying to throw password managers off...which sucks. Hope you guys can come up with something soon.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @drloksoft & @andematt,

I don't believe they're intentionally trying to throw password managers off but their page is troublesome. When you and I look at the page we see username and password fields. It looks like a pretty standard page. There are actually three password fields on the page though and this is triggering our change password form code and it seems we will always ask if you want to update a password as the domain exclusion list is for saving new Logins. The reason this 'worked' for a while is because we actually have bugs relating to the 1Password Save Login window behaviour and this issue reoccured (for a lack of a better word) when we fixed a problem with that code. So we fixed correctly identifying that we want to ask the user if they want to update a Login item but caused this issue to reappear. If you're wondering change password forms are most readily identifiable by the presence of three password fields, the first for your old password and then two for the new one (the duplication to avoid a typo locking you out).

I don't know what ideas are brewing inside the heads of our developers with this one but we do know it's really annoying and that it needs fixed :(

• craskul
    craskul
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running into this same issue. I'm using Chrome on a Mac. 1Password 6.BETA-5 and Browser Extension Beta v. 4.5.2.2.
    1Password is unlocked
    My login is stored in 1P.
    It has the correct URLs in the websites fields.

I go to the website, use the keyboard shortcut to fill in the password, it does and submits the page. At that point, it pops up the Save Login window and asks me to save or update the login.

I'll also mention that it doesn't happen on every website. I am really only having an issue with one of my company websites which is running on the Okta SSO provider we use. So for any site that uses my Okta SSO, I have this issue because they all go to the same login page first.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password asks me to save password that already exists.

@craskul: Sorry or the trouble! I've merged your post with an existing thread. This is a known issue specifically with Okta, and we're exploring ways of addressing the problem without making things worse somewhere else.

If, however, you're experiencing a similar issue with other logins, be sure to let us know!

• cskj
    cskj
    Community Member
    Options

Hello hello!

It looks like it's still an issue (or Okta changed their forms again) with:
    1Password Beta 4.5.2.3
    1Password 6.0.1.BETA-2

We're looking at rolling out Okta, so I will also forward the earlier mentioned 1Password design document to them as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cskj: Thanks! We'll continue to pursue a workaround on our end too.

I did want to mention one thing about the Designing your website to work best with 1Password link you mentioned. It's important to note that adhering to open standards will help not only 1Password (and perhaps other password managers), but most importantly folks depending on accessibility features as well. 1Password actually leverages many web conventions that are in place to allow folks using screen readers to navigate websites, for instance. Better security and better accessibility? I think anyone can get behind that! :chuffed:

• cskj
    cskj
    Community Member
    Options

The funny thing about their website, if you simply delete the two "hidden_password" fields by inspecting the source in Chrome it works as expected and I had no issues actually signing in. I wonder what those two fields are for.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @cskj,

It's hard to say. They might not be used at all and are simply bits of old code that haven't been removed or who knows. The only people that could say for sure would be Okta. It's interesting that you find you can delete them to no adverse effect though, it didn't even occur to me to try. I like the way you think :smile:

• coopr
    coopr
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem for me - is there something specific I can send to our contacts at Okta to say "please fix your stuff, like this ____"?

This discussion has been closed.