Sort order for login items

Options

I have some 30 google account login information stored and it drives me crazy every single time I need to re-login to find the correct login among those many in the little pop up because there seems to be no sort order at all. At least it's not alphabetically (not properly, it seems to break the logins into 2 groups and within those sorts alphabetically) nor recently used.
Can I set this somewhere?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Skelly,

That is a lot of Google related Logins!

This is my understanding of how sorting works.

The primary sorting parameter is the URL. We group all of those with the same URL together and the groups I believe are order by how well they match the URL for the log in page you're trying to fill. Within each of those groups we next sort by if they're flagged as favourites and after that each sub group is order alphabetically by the title (non-case sensitive by your screenshot).

If my understanding is correct I would hazard a guess that 30 odd Google Login items span two different URLs

The ordering of these two groups should change dependent on the URL you're visiting.

Now we don't have any way of manually altering the ordering at the moment beyond making a specific item a favourite. What might help right now for you without waiting for any improvement in 1Password (which can take take given the various development stages) is if all the Login items were to unify on a single URL. If all used the same specific URL it should then reduce the sorting to favourites grouped at the top and the rest in alphabetical ordering. Would that help at all and is it possible? You're without a shadow of a doubt a power user of Google unlike myself so it might be they have different URLs and have to - I don't feel qualified to say anything on that matter. If they can all use a single URL or have the same URL for the first website field I think it may at least reduce your frustration a little.

Do let us know what you think.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I wonder if partial searches might also help narrow the list. For example, try "go de" to see if you get only Google entries that have "de" in them.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Interesting idea @MrC, one or two letters in the search term would probably cut down the list drastically. Hopefully either (or both) posts can help a little.

• Skelly
    Skelly
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again,
    Yeah, over the years I got to manage a couple of those for various reasons ;-)
    What I did now was to finally get into the new 1P and figure out the vaults and stuff, so managed to archive more than half of those logins.
    I will check the URLs that makes sense, I run into this a lot of times, when the same website has several login options I end up with duplicates. So would make sense here too. Don't have time now to check, but will do asap.

As for searching - I've been trying that but the time it takes to figure out what I need to search for is longer than concentrating and checking the list, which is now much smaller anyway. And favorites is also something I haven't been using much so far, good point.

Thanks for all your replies! I am good now with a shorter list and will still look into url and favorites.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Skelly,

I'd love to hear how each suggestion helps (or not) but yes, you have to find the time first :wink:

As for several login options you aren't kidding. One of our devs recently found something like 15 different login pages for a single bank when they went investigating why some people were having problems and others weren't.

Vaults are handy. I also use them as a logical divide between my personal stuff and my work related items. If you have vaults then a particular keyboard shortcut you might like is ⌘N. It's a way of quickly switching between vaults in both the main 1Password window and in 1Password mini too. ⌘1 is always your Primary vault and ⌘2...⌘9 are your secondary vaults. So if you find you're trying to log into a website and you're in the wrong vault that keyboard shortcut will switch you to another with hopefully not much faffing about.

This discussion has been closed.