Can't sync with new phone

Options
cp
cp
Community Member

None of the sync options on my iPhone 6 work (iCloud, Dropbox, Wi-Fi). I also don't remember which backup option I chose. Is it possible that I didn't choose any and that all my password information was stored only locally on the device (which is now dead)?

Comments

• cp
    cp
    Community Member
    Options

.."device" was my old iPhone 4S

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cp,

As you've only mentioned iOS devices I've moved your post to the iOS section.

Now one of the aspects of 1Password that many of our users really like (myself included) is that the location of your vault is completely under our control. So if you didn't set up syncing, either via iCloud or Dropbox on your old iPhone 4S then the only place your vault would have been located would have been on your iPhone.

Now if you backed up your phone to either iTunes or Apple's iCloud then that backup would have a copy of your vault and it should have been restored when you restored the backup.

So the questions I have for you are:

1. Did you ever set up sync on your old iPhone? Just to reiterate, it isn't done by default so it's something you would have had to have enabled.
    2. Did you backup your old iPhone to iCloud or iTunes and did you restore this backup on your iPhone 6?

Hopefully we'll be able to get you access again!

• cp
    cp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables . Re 1: I can't remember if I ever set up 1password sync on my old iPhone (I set this up in 2013 and wouldn't have changed the settings since). Re 2: yes, the last backup was done about a month before my iPhone 4S died. I didn't restore the backup on my iPhone 6 because there was too much junk on the 4S!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cp,

If you had 1Password sync data in iCloud or Dropbox then under normal circumstances it would find it when prompted which it does sound like you've done.

It might be this backup with the junk is your only hope.

1. Was the backup created in iTunes or iCloud?
    2. If the backup was created in iTunes, do you encrypt your backups?
    3. Do you access to a Mac?

I've got two possibilities rattling around my head depending on these answers.

• cp
    cp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again. It was created in iTunes and I'm not sure if I encrypt - is there a way I can check?
    I have access to a Mac.. I downloaded and just tried to use an iPhone backup extractor but frankly don't find it very intuitive (at least the free version).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @cp,

If you were to enter iTunes' preferences and switch to the Devices tab you should see a list of backups that iTunes is aware of. Now if the backup is encrypted there is a little padlock to the left hand side of the time stamp. If it's encrypted then I don't believe the following will work.

Here's a link to an existing thread on how to extract the database from an iTunes backup. Specifically this post and this post for the steps on what to extract and how to use it.

There's plenty to digest so if you have any questions at all please do ask. Now if the backup is encrypted I believe you're out of luck or at least that's my understanding so we'd have to consider plan B.

Keep us posted!

• cp
    cp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables - great support, it worked. I'm going to note for others some minor differences in the process that I went through so people don't get thrown off course:

1. In iExplorer, for whatever reason, I had to click in and out of the iPhone "Backup Explorer" tab a few times before the contents were revealed
    2. Inside the Backup Explorer there wasn't a folder called AppDomainGroup-group.com.agilebits.onepassword. It was instead called "App - com.agilebits.onepassword-ios"
    3. The Data folder was in a sub-folder of "App - com.agilebits.onepassword-ios" called "Library"
    4. Unlike your screenshot, my Data folder only contained one file, the 'OnePassword.sqlite"
    5. After copying 'OnePassword.sqlite" to "~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/", you note, "Just to make sure caching isn't an issue reboot your Mac. This probably isn't required.." For me the reboot was required.

From here, I went into 1Password for Mac, which now contained the data previously on my iPhone. In Preferences I went to the Sync tab and synced with Dropbox. Then when I opened the 1Password app on my iPhone and synced with Dropbox.

Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cp,

Firstly, thank you for reporting back on your success. I'm glad you were able to recover your database as I know exactly how bad it would be if I lost mine - I'd be completely screwed.

I'd also like to offer a big thank you for reporting back on all of those differences you found. I shall merge your findings in for the next time :smile: You didn't have to take the time to do so so it really is appreciated.

Hopefully everything will run smoothly for you now but if not you know where we are!

This discussion has been closed.