1password sharing with my wife

Options
emiliocalvano
emiliocalvano
Community Member

Hello - I plan to purchase the bundle (my wife and I work on windows and mac).
While I understand you can create multiple vaults (so I can set up one for my wife), whoever knows the master password gets access to all vaults. Is that right? Is there a way to protect my wife privacy?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you have separate accounts on the machines then your vaults will be completely separate.

But if you actually share one account then I think your assessment is correct. I'm not sure what happens if you set up two secondary vaults and never use the primary vault.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @emiliocalvano,

Windows and Macs handle multiple vaults differently so hopefully a quick overview will help.

In 1Password for Windows each vault is a self-contained item. You can only have a single vault open at a time and you need the Master Password for that vault to access it. The only way to access any particular vault is to remember the password for it. That's the nice easy one.

In 1Password for Mac you're quite right, it is handled differently. Entering your Master Password will unlock not just your primary vault but any secondary vaults that are attached. Some people like this, some don't - we have fans of both approaches. Now although a single Master Password does unlock all of these vaults (it does this by storing the encryption keys for the secondary vaults in your primary), each vault is still separate when it comes to syncing. So it isn't an all or nothing approach.

What we recommend is your primary vault is your private vault, the one you either don't share with anybody or at most, share with a spouse if you want a single shared vault. If you go down the route of individual primary vaults you would create a secondary vault to hold the shared items between you. Now you would both know the password for that vault but each of you would only know your respective Master Passwords.

Now you don't have to use a secondary vault at all if you don't have any items you need to share, it's just a feature that exists for those that do.

Now we do see this confusion from time to time so just in case. Your licence to run 1Password is quite separate from your vaults. You don't have an account with us and we don't store your vault. A bundle licence from our store would entitle you to run 1Password on as many Macs and Windows machines as you, your wife and up to four other immediate family members and you can sync, not sync have vaults on just one machine - whatever you want. Obviously syncing makes most sense but you get the idea. They're your vaults (as many as few as you wish) and they're all under your control.

You may very well have follow up questions, I may have missed something etc. If you do please do ask :smile:

• emiliocalvano
    emiliocalvano
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - Just to check that we are on the same page. If I buy the bundle (win+mac) then my wife can have her own 1password running on her windows machine and I can have my own 1password running on my mac(s). We would have then two independent primary vaults with different master passwords so our privacy would be fully preserved.

So, if I read you correctly, what you are saying is that buying this product is basically the same as me purchasing the 1password for mac and my wife independently purchasing the 1password for windows.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @emiliocalvano,

Just to check that we are on the same page. If I buy the bundle (win+mac) then my wife can have her own 1password running on her windows machine and I can have my own 1password running on my mac(s). We would have then two independent primary vaults with different master passwords so our privacy would be fully preserved.

Yes, that's all correct - it sounds like you have a good understanding of how that works.

So, if I read you correctly, what you are saying is that buying this product is basically the same as me purchasing the 1password for mac and my wife independently purchasing the 1password for windows.

That's also correct, the difference is that you'll save some money by purchasing the bundle instead of buying each license separately. A license purchased from the AgileBits Store can be shared by up to 6 family members in the same household, so whether you buy separate licenses or the bundle, you and your wife will both be covered for both the Mac and Windows versions of 1Password. (It's entirely up to you whether you want to keep separate vaults, or share vaults with each other.)

Just in case it helps, you can find more information about how 1Password licenses work here.

We're here for you if you have more questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.