My experience with Dashlane, And new features for 1Password

Options
jackiam
jackiam
Community Member
edited April 2015 in iOS

I just tried dashlane today and it has many features you should have. Like auto change password, 2 step authentication for the main app, and a feature like watchtower but it auto changes your passwords when a site is compromised. I was seriously thinking about changing two Dashlane but the only thing keeping me to one password is it is less buggy. Oh and a great support. Please speed up iOS and Mac development of new features. Also it would be great if there was a Easier way to contact support. Like a support email address that is easy to find on your main site. I posted this because the features that t mentioned could improve 1password a lot. Thanks

Comments

• ag_kevin
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hi @jacklam,

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding email support, we prefer forums as the first line of support because we have a very vibrant community of users and it usually results in having very quick turnaround time for solutions. We will always accept email though if you prefer it one-on-one support or have an issue of a sensitive nature that you do not wish to share on a forum.

Regarding auto change passwords, it is something that interests us, though the current state is not ideal. The current way to do this is to maintain scripts specific to each site. The issues here are security and reliability. We would not want our servers to do it on your behalf, as we do not store your passwords - they are stored in your vault, and web sites change their password changing procedures breaking scripts. It would be ideal if sites implemented a standard password changing API that would make this feature more reliable. This isn't to say we will never do it, just the current state of affairs. It is a very useful feature that we are looking at.

Regarding two step authentication, since the 1Password file is decrypted on your device, and not on ours, or anyone else's server, the benefits of two step authentication are severely diminished. The benefits of two step authentication is to provide increased security to authenticate yourself to a server. Since your Master Password is never sent over a network, you aren't authenticating yourself, you are decrypting a file that is local to your hard disk. We have a longer and much better explanation posted here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2011/09/23/two-factor-or-not-two-factor/

It's not to say it's impossible to implement, it's just that there is very little benefit vs. the risk of losing access to your data (e.g. if the second factor becomes lost or damaged) at this time. We still do actively discuss it and have not ruled it out completely.

This discussion has been closed.