Cannot view 1Password content on Apple Watch, even though I'm "Pro"

Options
dbmcneill
dbmcneill
Community Member

I cannot seem to actually view 1Password content on my Apple Watch, in spite of having Pro features installed (and just now validated that the iPhone connected to the watch is showing Pro features as "purchased")

The message presented on the Apple Watch after entering the valid password (set up from the paired iPhone) is "Please unlock 1Password on your phone to continue." Tapping the Watch display at this point redisplays the password keypad -- effectively I'm in an endless loop. (You guys took the Apple mailing address way too seriously!)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

effectively I'm in an endless loop. (You guys took the Apple mailing address way too seriously!)

@dbmcneill: Ouch. I'm sorry for the trouble! We didn't mean to make such a joke at your expense. :angry:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, information will only show up in 1Password for Apple Watch under the following conditions:

• You purchase the Pro Features for 1Password for iOS
    • You turn on the Apple Watch feature in 1Password (Settings > Apple Watch > Enable)
    • You select Add to Apple Watch in the individual item's details (which simply gives it the "Apple Watch" tag)

While it sounds like you've got Pro, have you already enabled Apple Watch in 1Password Settings and added items to be displayed on your Watch? Please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• nutjob4life
    nutjob4life
    Community Member
    Options

I was experiencing the exact same issue. I ensured I was a Pro user (it even said I'm awesome!), enabled Apple watch, and tapped "Add to Apple Watch" on several items. However, on the Apple Watch, the 1Password app continued to insist I add items on the iPhone app (and requires Pro features).

However, uninstalling the 1Password app from Apple Watch, disabling Apple Watch in 1Password on the iPhone, removing all the items tagged by tapping "Add to Apple Watch", then reinstalling the 1Password app onto the Apple Watch, re-enabling Apple Watch in 1Password on the iPhone, and re-tagging the items I want on the watch fixed it.

Perseverance!

• chrisdj
    Options

Hi @nutjob4life! We've seen a few folks have issues like this. Thanks for the process on what worked to fix. As some of us are receiving our Apple Watches now, we'll be able to improve 1Password for Apple Watch even more.

• AJsAWiz
    AJsAWiz
    Community Member
    Options

I've owned 1 Password for years. I use it on my iMac, iPad, iPhone and now the Apple Watch.
    I had the same problems as the rest here. I ended up resolving it on my own. Granted someone from Agilebits did contact me, by email, after I resolved it so I'll give them credit for the effort.
    I don't think that anyone should have to jump through so many hoops to get 1 Password to function properly on their Apple Watches. Until recently I've NEVER had an issue with 1 Password on any of my devices. That said, I hope that Agilebits takes corrective actions with the Apple Watch component to fix these issues.

• chrisdj
    Options

Hi @AJsAWiz, Like many developers, we made 1Password for Apple Watch entirely in a simulator. Many of our developers are actually still waiting for their Apple Watches to arrive due to the famously constrained supply. We'll definitely be improving 1Password for Apple Watch as we are more able to diagnose issues and test our code on actual hardware. :)

• AJsAWiz
    AJsAWiz
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply! I understand and will be patient while waiting for an update ☺

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@AJsAWiz: Thanks for your patience and understanding! We are trying to maintain this ourselves, as we're excited about the future of 1Password and Apple Watch. Keep an eye out for updates! ;)

• zaxaz
    zaxaz
    Community Member
    Options

So, what's the final resolution? I have purchased pro feature from the beginning but when I open the app on apple watch, it prompts me for my pin code but then tells me I require pro features (which I have)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zaxaz: As I mentioned in my previous post, you will need to add items to be shown on your Apple Watch. They do not appear there without your express consent. I hope this helps! :)

• gheestarr
    gheestarr
    Community Member
    Options

Kind of disappointed in the execution here. And you guys should have a watch by now. Both my wife and I have them. And hers wasn't ordered until early May. I am not accepting the constrained supply line excuse. My watch was two weeks early. I'm not happy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Kind of disappointed in the execution here.

I'm sorry to hear that. While we're working on a number of improvements, these things do take time. :)

And you guys should have a watch by now. Both my wife and I have them. And hers wasn't ordered until early May. I am not accepting the constrained supply line excuse.

@gheestarr: If you have the hookup, I will gladly accept! ;)

My watch was two weeks early. I'm not happy.

Are you kidding? I would be! :)

I'm holding out for Space Black, and I don't know anyone who's gotten theirs yet. But if you have connections, let's talk! :lol:

• gheestarr
    gheestarr
    Community Member
    Options

My comment needs some clarification. I'm VERY happy about getting the watch early!!!! I wasn't happy with 1Password. I have since discovered my issue. So, now I'm as happy as Apple pie a la mode. (It took me awhile, but you have to activate every individual password on AppleWatch. That allows one to choose which logins are to be kept on the watch. Nice!) Keep up the good work. Sorry, I don't have a hook-up. Hope you get yours soon!

• chrisdj
    Options

Hi @gheestarr! Yep, you have to select which items you want on 1Password for Apple Watch by tapping Add to Apple Watch. You'll find that in Logins, Secure Notes, Credit Cards, and Passwords category types. We went with this approach as it allows you to pick which are the things you need available quickly, so you can access them in a matter of seconds.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

(It took me awhile, but you have to activate every individual password on AppleWatch. That allows one to choose which logins are to be kept on the watch. Nice!)

@gheestarr: Ah, excellent. Sorry for misunderstanding!

We wanted to be sure 1Password on your Watch only displays the things you tell it to; that way you can add only what you need, both for security purposes, and to cut down on clutter. Cheers! :)

• bsmith
    bsmith
    Community Member
    Options

I can see the items I gave the tag "Apple Watch" to on my watch. However when I click on the item it doesn't do anything or show me any information. I have enable Apple watch on and items tagged with Apple watch and I've also purchased the pro features. Please help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bsmith: Currently only Login, Credit Card, Password, or Secure Note items are supported...so if you're just adding an "Apple Watch" tag to items of other types, they won't show. Is that the problem you're having? Are you unable to view any items there?

• bsmith
    bsmith
    Community Member
    Options

I have Logins, credit card, and password, items where I added Apple watch to. I can see them on my watch but just can't select them to see any of the information.

• bsmith
    bsmith
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved. I deleted 1password from my phone, went back to AppStore and reinstalled it. Now it works fine.

• chrisdj
    Options

Hi @bsmith, While a reinstall is a drastic measure, I'm glad it worked out. In the future, if 1Password for Apple Watch has trouble making a data connection to the phone (which sounds like what was happening) there are a few other steps I'd try first.

1. Force Quit 1Password for Apple Watch. To to this, launch 1Password for Apple Watch, press & hold the Side Button (not the Digital Crown) until you see the Power Off option. Then press & hold the Side Button again until you exit to the Home Screen. Now relaunch 1Password for Apple Watch and see if it behaves better.
    2. Restart the Apple Watch & iPhone. Sometimes a good old restart is what he doctor orders.
    3. Uninstall & Reinstall 1Password for Apple Watch. You can do this from the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.

Hopefully those steps will work in the future (if needed) so you don't need to go through setup on the iPhone app again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As chrisdj mentioned, just reinstalling a Watch app (from within the Apple Watch app on your iPhone -- confusing, I know!) often does the trick for many Watch apps that glitch, 1Password included. Cheers! :)

• Manni
    Manni
    Community Member
    Options

although I done all the steps to make the watchapp working, I can't see any content on it. I tried all workarounds from chrisdj but no entry on the watch although some logins are already activated for the watch. Im Pro and get only the message "You can add..."

• chrisdj
    Options

@Manni Could you see if this is still the case with 1Password 5.4.2 for iOS, just released about an hour ago? It has some fixes for Apple Watch included. 1Password for Apple Watch should update on its own after the iOS app is updated & launched, but you may need to uninstall and reinstall 1Password for Apple Watch one more time after this update.

• Manni
    Manni
    Community Member
    Options

Ive installed the update today and hoped this will fix it. But the same. After that I reinstall the watchApp but without success!

• chrisdj
    Options

Hi @Manni,

Okay, let's go for the nuclear approach, even though it is not ideal. Please make sure your vault(s) are synced, and then remove and reinstall 1Password from your iPhone, then re-enable the Apple Watch app. See if that helps the situation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

although I done all the steps to make the watchapp working, I can't see any content on it. I tried all workarounds from chrisdj but no entry on the watch although some logins are already activated for the watch. Im Pro and get only the message "You can add..."

@Manni: Just to be sure we're on the same page, have you set individual items in 1Password on your iPhone to be added to the Watch?

You can do this with Login, Credit Card, Password, or Secure Note items currently, but unless you add them individually they will not show up on the Watch. Please let us now what you find! :)

• Manni
    Manni
    Community Member
    Options

Yes brenty, I added two logins to apple watch and they are listed in the apple watch folder. Today I try to reinstall the main app..

• Manni
    Manni
    Community Member
    Options

..now it works! Thanks for your help! :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Manni: That's great! You're most welcome. I'm glad that reinstalling did the trick for you. :) :+1:

• jdpierce21
    jdpierce21
    Community Member
    Options

Hi... Just thought I would comment as well. I'm running iPhone iOS 9 beta 1 and watchOS 1. I had to un-install, re-install the iPhone app to get my Apple Watch to see the Apple Watch tags for my logins to sync on my iPhone. All of the other workarounds didn't work.

Cheers,
    Joe

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jdpierce21: Thanks for confirming that! I'm sorry for the trouble, but I'm glad that got it working for you. We're continuing to investigate, and I'm confident that we'll be able to put all of these problems behind us as both 1Password for Apple Watch and Apple Watch itself matures. :)

This discussion has been closed.