Equivalent of Domain Matching

Options
kathampy
kathampy
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Mac

What is the equivalent of Domain Matching on Mac? I use 1Password on all platforms and I need a consistent way to log in to multiple domains and subdomains.

E.g. A single login for amazon.com, amazon.co.uk.
A single login for mail.google.com, accounts.google.com.

Using the subset of settings that are common across all platforms, it looks like I have to enable "Lenient URL Matching" / "Multiple URLs" on Mac / Windows and add each different domain (amazon.com, amazon.co.uk) as multiple URLs in the login. I should not use "Domain Matching" on Windows.

I just deleted all my multiple URLs and switched to using "Domain Matching" on Windows which worked fine, but when I got into work after the weekend I found it doesn't work on Mac. Now I have to recreate all my multiple URLs.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kathampy,

If I understand your message, it sounds like you'll want to enable the Lenient URL matching option in 1Password on your Mac. That setting determines how picky the browser extensions are about matching your saved Logins to the current URL. When enabled, 1Password will only look at the main domain (google.com) not the subdomain (mail.google.com, accounts.google.com). Please take a look at this page of our User Guide for more information about Lenient URL matching.

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, but I need it to match different main domains as well (.com, .co.uk etc.). It seems like I need to add these as additional URLs in the individual login items themselves, but on Windows I can just configure Domain Matching which globally works for all logins.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

I have 3 Apple IDs. I need these to work for both apple.com and icloud.com. On Windows, I configure Domain Matching and add icloud.com to apple.com. My login item would only contain the apple.com URL. The login would then work on icloud.com as well.

But on Mac there is no way to do this. I need to add the icloud.com URL as well to the login. When it syncs, this makes the Domain Matching setting redundant on Windows.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kathampy,

I see what you mean, sorry I misunderstood! You originally gave 2 examples, and my previous answer should work for your google.com subdomains (mail.google.com, accounts.google.com) but I had initially missed your Amazon example (amazon.com, amazon.co.uk). You are correct, you would need to add amazon.com and amazon.co.uk as URLs in the same Login item.

Now, there are some sites which 1Password will automatically match, and one example is apple.com & icloud.com. So if you create a Login item for apple.com, it should work on icloud.com even if you don't manually enter icloud.com as a second URL. Can you confirm that works correctly for you?

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No icloud.com does not work automatically. I have to either

• Add icloud.com & apple.com to Domain Matching on Windows
      Or

• Add https://www.icloud.com/ to the login item for Mac (and Windows without Domain Matching) and enable Multiple URLs / Lenient.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kathampy,

That's strange, it seems to be working fine for me when I test that on my Mac. Can you let us know a few details:

• What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac? (From the main 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What web browser are you using, and what version?
    • What version of the 1Password extension is installed in your browser?
    • What is the first URL listed in your Apple ID Login items?
    • Did you create your Apple ID Login items using the 1Password browser extension, or did you create them directly in the main 1Password app?
    • Did you create your Apple ID Login items on your Mac or Windows PC?

Thanks!

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Oh, it seems icloud.com does automatically work on Mac. It doesn't work on Windows with the same Apple login.

How does this work automatically on Mac? Is it the same "Domain Matching" mechanism that is user configurable on Windows?

My original problem still exists though. i.e. If I want to use both Mac and Windows with domain matching, then I must discontinue use of "Domain Matching" on Windows and use only multiple URLs which is common to both Mac and Windows.

Exposing "Domain Matching" on Mac would be the ideal solution and doing secret things like icloud.com on Mac should be avoided. Anything that's done automatically should be exposed and visible to the user as prepopulated "Domain Matching" entries.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @kathampy. Consistency across platforms is definitely a goal we're working toward. I'd be happy to pass your feedback on this specific issue to our development team.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.