Safari extension(s) installed but won't fill in or save passwords

Options

Hey all,

I generally consider myself fairly tech savvy, but I can't seem to figure this one out. I cannot get 1Password to fill in or save passwords in Safari, even though it works fine in Chrome.

I've tried both the normal extension for Safari as well as the beta, but neither seem to work. Right clicking in a form shows me the 1Password option, but when I click it nothing happens. Likewise for Command+.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,
Dustin

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @battlesman,

Given you mention the command I'm guessing this relates to a Mac?

It almost sounds like for reasons unknown the extension is unable to communicate with 1Password mini. If clicking on the 1Password Safari Extension icon doesn't bring up the menu then that would be my first guess.

Now the question is, why is this only happening with Safari?

Do you make use of a proxy or VPN at all? I'd lean towards a proxy as Safari might be using it while Chrome is ignoring it. If it were a VPN issue I'd expect it to affect all browsers rather than just Safari.

If it isn't that we can look into other possibilities.

• battlesman
    battlesman
    Community Member
    Options

Yes—Mac. Yosemite, but the problem also occurred on Mavericks too before I upgraded.

When in Safari and clicking 1P mini, it tells me to install the extension, even though the screenshot I posted before shows that I already have it installed.

No proxy or VPN.

Thank you for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@battlesman: Anything that intercepts or blocks local network traffic may interfere with communication between the app and the extension, unfortunately. Often we find that security software does this (or corrupt firewall settings). Do you have anything like that running on your system?

The best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• battlesman
    battlesman
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty There's nothing I have that would interfere that I know of. I have no firewall or filter of any sort. Just OpenDNS on my home router. But if that was the problem, I would think it would solve itself when I went to work; but Safari doesn't work when I'm at work either.

I'll try the diagnostic tool. Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi @battlesman,

After you've emailed us the diagnostic report you will receive an automated reply back with a Ticket ID. If` you were to post that ticket ID here it would allow us to find your email amongst the many that make their way to us. Once we've located your email we can take a peek and see if anything obvious stands out.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this :smile:

ref: UTS-16856-657

• battlesman
    battlesman
    Community Member
    Options

After running the diagnostics and sending it in, I received the following message:

The diagnostics report led us right to the problem, which is x3watch. In early March 2014 we had an influx of users experiencing trouble with 1Password, much the same way you are, when x3watch was installed. We spent some time trying to figure out a way to work around x3watch, but it blocks connections at a very low level and there's no way we can bypass it. We contacted x3watch to inform them of the issue and to get them any information they needed to resolve the problem on their end. We can't fix it on our side because we simply have no control over what another app might do in this situation. They are operating at a much lower level than we are.

We sent the email to them on March 5th, 2014 and received a reply on March 7th stating that they were going to pass us along to the developers. They have since informed us that they're working on a fix on their end. You can see that discussion on April 22, 2014 here:

Each user that has contacted us and has issues with x3watch we have suggested that they email x3watch, you can do that here:

http://support.x3watch.com/home

We still suggest contacting them despite the fact they're saying they're working on a fix. Just to make sure they prioritize it properly.

At this time the only solution is to remove x3watch until they resolve the issue on their end. Probably not the information you wanted to hear, but that is the only solution we are aware of at this time.

You can uninstall x3watch by using the following instructions:

http://support.x3watch.com/entries/27919844-How-do-I-uninstall-X3watch-from-a-Mac-

1) Download the app again
    2) Launch the DMG file
    3) Inside the DMG file will be a "Uninstall" option
    4) Run that uninstaller and then reboot, the reboot is required or it will not fully uninstall.

Is there no workaround? I have contacted them, but since it's been over a year, it doesn't seem to high on their priority list. I would surely think that there's some proxy, etc. that could be reset or adjusted in 1Password or my Mac network settings.

Also, I don't subscribe to X3Watch Pro—which does accountability and filtering. I use just the plain jane X3Watch, without filtering. So why then does it block me from accessing 1Password's Safari extension if it's not supposed to be blocking anything?

Thanks all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@battlesman: Aha! That makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately, x3watch blocks the 1Password extension from communicating properly with 1Password mini. At this time, uninstalling x3watch is the only fix we're aware of (unless x3watch has added the ability to configure what it blocks).

So why then does it block me from accessing 1Password's Safari extension if it's not supposed to be blocking anything?

That's a great question, but one that only the x3watch team can answer. We have communicated with them, and they are aware of the issue and have said they're looking into a fix for a future update to their software. It's entirely in their hands now, though, so please feel free to contact them as well to encourage them. We've reached out, but from 1Password's perspective, it's just communicating locally using websockets to transmit between the helper and the extension securely.

I suspect that the 'secure' part may be what encourages antivirus vendors and others to interfere. Perhaps they would not block 1Password if the communications were unencrypted and they could eavesdrop, but we have no intention of transmitting any of your data insecurely -- even locally on your computer -- as then any process could listen.

1Password doesn't handle proxy settings or anything like that, and certainly doesn't block itself. Again if x3watch (or other software you use) can be configured to allow 1Password to communicate with the browser extension your troubles will be over. Otherwise, as far as we're aware the only solution in this particular case is to uninstall x3watch completely.

This discussion has been closed.