13»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

@FezVrasta: Thanks for letting us know!

Let me preface this by saying that I loved using MacID. When it worked. But it really wasn't reliable for me at all. So while it is certainly possible, making a feature like this secure, easy to use, and reliable is definitely easier said than done. It's something we'll do only if we can nail all three. :sunglasses:

• FezVrasta
    FezVrasta
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I understand, I'm just saying that it must be possible and I'm sure you will find a way

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016
    Options

Got it! Thanks for your support! :chuffed: :+1:

• JoseMars
    JoseMars
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for some high-security solution.

Given the concerns and technical limitations already stated, instead of trying to open the vault on the Mac, could you instead open a secure channel (TLS?) to the phone? My major use case of 1Password is within browsers. Can the browser plug-in establish a secure connection with the phone, and then (1) challenge the user to use TouchID on the phone to unlock their vault and (2) have the user select the item that they want disclosed across the secure connection to the browser? The phone could have a digital certificate establishing that it really is the phone the desktop user intends. And the user with the phone would only authenticate with their TouchID if they had initiated the process from their browser, and would only select to disclose an item in their vault, again, if they initiated it in the browser.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JoseMars: It's definitely something we've thought about. The biggest problem is what to do with the shared secret, but there are many others as well. Check our Rick's earlier post for more details on the challenges with mutual authentication. Hopefully we'll be able to come up with a solution someday. :sunglasses:

• markdegroot
    markdegroot
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• andybaumgar
    andybaumgar
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

• SaxDaddy
    SaxDaddy
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for iOS touch ID integration and for integration with apps other than the browser, like my Cisco VPN or WebEx clients.
    Also a huge 2 thumbs way up to the AgileBits for transparency and realizing that just because we use a Mac, we're not too stupid to have a highly technical discussion. You know, like that fruit company's support pages...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

@SaxDaddy: Well, some of Apple's support documentation is — oddly enough — way too technical, but I get your point. ;)

Ultimately there isn't any way for 1Password to integrate with other apps unless they (or the OS, in the case of iOS extensions) provide an API to do so, like modern browsers do. But I do hope we'll be able to find a secure way for us to unlock the 1Password desktop app using our mobile devices in the future.

Still lovin' that monkey. :lol:

• SOLESHOE
    SOLESHOE
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

• timothymh
    timothymh
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sure at this point, adding yet another comment on the pile is fairly pointless, but I'd definitely like to see this feature implemented. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

@timothymh: Not pointless at all! Thanks for letting us know you'd like this as well. :)

• domh
    domh
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

• nikolaspapirniywork
    nikolaspapirniywork
    Community Member
    Options

Guys, pleeeeeease add this feature. It would be super awesome!
    +1

• alfredoe
    alfredoe
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to add my name to list of users that want to be able to utilize the connection between iOS and Mac OS X to unlock 1Password. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! It isn't something we're working on right now, but perhaps it will be possible in the future. :)

• Lenny
    Lenny
    Community Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

plus 1

Take your time and hurry up!
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The choice is yours; don't be late! ;) :+1:

• RC2257
    RC2257
    Community Member
    Options

I have a suggestion for your developers to consider for a future version of 1Password for Mac (and possibly Windows).

I have a late 2016 Macbook Pro at work that has the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and I am spoiled that I can use my fingerprint to quickly log into 1P rather than typing my long, strong password to unlock 1P.

At home, I have an early 2015 Macbook Pro with no fingerprint sensor, so I have to type in the master password to unlock 1P.

There is an app called macID that allows me to use my iPhone's Touch ID fingerprint sensor to unlock my Macbook Pro, which of course is easier than entering the password and perhaps more secure.

My suggestion for future 1P version is to add this functionality to 1P. Specifically: for 1P users who have a computer with no fingerprint sensor but a smart phone with a fingerprint sensor, allow the user to log into 1P on their computer using the fingerprint sensor on their smart phone.

At the very least, I'd encourage your developers to try the app "macID" to get a better sense of what it does and how it works.

Thank you for considering my suggestion!

And thank you for possibly the most useful app on my Macbook and my iPhone!

Warm regards,
    Ron C.

1Password Version: 6.6.2
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 10.12.4
    Sync Type: dropbox

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RC2257,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your post with another forum thread about the same topic. Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your suggestion! As you can see in this thread, we've heard from others with the same request. We think it would be a very cool feature, and our developers have looked into it, but it's not as easy as it might seem. Earlier in this discussion, Rick wrote a detailed post about the challenges that would be involved with this: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/283889/#Comment_283889

In the time since he posted that, Apple started adding Touch ID to Macs, and although the majority of Macs don't have Touch ID, it will become much more common as time goes on and new Macs with Touch ID are released. Between that and the challenges that Rick explained, it's not something our developers currently have plans to add.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Aside from that, I'm really happy to hear 1Password is such a useful app on your Mac and iPhone, thanks for saying so! If you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

ref: OPM-1972

• awestrope
    awestrope
    Community Member
    Options

Have just used Google Prompt for the first time. Is an implementation similar to that a possibility?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/google-prompt-you-can-now-just-tap-yes-or-no-on-ios-android-to-approve-gmail-sign-in/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Anything's possible. If and when we have something to share in this area we'll be sure to do so. You can keep up with AgileBits and 1Password news by following us on Facebook, Twitter, our blog, and our email newsletter. Nothing spammy, always just useful 1Password tips and announcements. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.