Confusing 1Password icons - please standardize

Options
essambk
essambk
Community Member

The Windows and Mac application icons are a keyhole. The windows taskbar icon is a padlock The Chrome extension icon is a keyhole. The Firefox extension icon in the Extension list is a keyhole with a key laying on top but the toolbar icon is either 1P or a key (both are showing for me). When I installed the Firefox extension, I couldn't tell if it was the official 1Password version or a potentially malicious clone.

Please pick one icon and use it everywhere. I want to be sure I'm running the official, legitimate 1Password and the various icons causes confusion.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@essambk: I am sorry for the confusion, Master! :sweat:

While there may be some room for improvement, in some cases different icons are used for different purposes. For example, the Windows
    'notification area' icon shows at a glance if 1Password is locked or unlocked, which is especially useful since you don't have the main 1Password window or browser extension open. Since the Helper is running in the background, this is a way to keep track of its 'state'.

In Firefox it sounds like you may have an old extension installed alongside the new one. Please check your extension settings and remove the old copy if you already have version 4.3.1 (or a newer beta) installed. This should have the 'keyhole' icon in both your extensions settings (colour) and in the Firefox toolbar (greyscale).

We've pretty much standardized on variations of the 'keyhole' icon across all current versions, unless I'm forgetting another special case. And as always you should only ever install 1Password and the extensions from the AgileBits site. You can check the security certificate to verify. I hope this helps! :)

• essambk
    essambk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification, Brenty. I thought I had downloaded the 1Password Firefox extension from the built-in Extension store, but now I'm not so sure. I'll be sure to download the latest version from the 1Password website!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @essambk ,

I'm glad to hear that Brenty was able to help you out! If you have any further questions or concerns about 1Password, we're here for you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@essambk: At the risk of over clarifying, 1Password is not available from the Mozilla/Firefox site, store, or in-app addons directory (which appears to just be another interface to the website). I got nervous an double-checked to be sure there wasn't some imports there, but I didn't find any results for "1Password". Better safe than sorry! ;) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.