Windows - Using 1Password with PayPal when called up via a 3rd party website

Options

I use Chain Reaction Cycles to buy bicycle bits and I use PayPal to make the payments. When I do this, the Paypal throws up a foreground window with no toolbar (I can't stop this and the lack of a toolbar means no direct access to 1Password). Consequently I have to shuffle between the background and foreground windows to manually copy and paste the login details individually (not sure how secure this is). I also use KeePass, which has no problems with this kind of scenario. Does anybody know of a better workaround than the one I currently use?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PJCallow,

Both Windows and Mac have keyboard shortcuts that will allow access to 1Password. On a Mac ⌘\ will attempt to fill the current page, assuming you have only one valid option while ⌥⌘\ brings up the 1Password mini menu. On Windows the keyboard shortcut is ctrl+\. Another option is to right click on one of the fields and select the 1Password entry that should exist on both platforms.

Do either of those help at all?

• PJCallow
    PJCallow
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply with this problem. I only really use PayPal with a windows PC so I haven't had a chance to test your suggestions with Yosemite (which is what our iMac has installed). However, I am happy to report that ctrl+\ does indeed succeed in filling out my login details correctly. Many thanks for your help - it's a lot easier than following your second suggestion (which is the workaround I was already using).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PJCallow: Awesome! I use both a Mac and PC (okay, I few of each...), and I have to say that I am always a little bit amazed that this works so flawlessly, even when filling PayPal credentials to checkout from a 3rd party site.

I haven't delved into it too deeply, but I believe it's because PayPal wisely gives vendors code that literally pulls up paypal.com itself (either in a frame, a popup window, or a redirect) so that you actually are logging into PayPal at that point. If this wasn't the case, 1Password wouldn't even fill your login, because -- for security reasons -- it looks at the domain in your Login item and compares it to the URL of the form you're trying to fill. And if they don't match, 1Password won't do it! It makes perfect sense, but it never ceases to amaze me! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.