Fidelity Login

Options

Using Safari on an iPad or an iPhone, I’m having trouble logging in to Fidelity.com. (The login works using IE in Windows.)

First, I saved a Fidelity login using 1Password for Windows on my PC. I use Dropbox to sync.

When I navigate to Fidelity.com on the iPad or the iPhone, I first decline the opportunity to use the Fidelity iPad app and choose to “Continue to Fidelity.com.” I then tap the Log In button. The Log In form is displayed, asking for Username and Password. I use the 1Password extension and select the Fidelity login. 1Password fills in the Password field, but not the Username field.

I have an iPad Air 2 (model MF010LL/A) and an iPhone 5 (model MD664LL/A), both running iOS 8.3. These devices are running 1Password 5.4.1.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeffG,

My testing has found that it's specific to saving the Login from the IE extension. It gets a little messy at this point because we're between filling logics in 1Password for Windows. The stable version uses the old filling logic while the beta version of 1Password for Windows uses the new brain that is already in use on the Mac and iOS.

If you're happy to, here is what I would recommend. If you Create a new Login item in Safari on your iOS device this new Login will work in both IE on your windows machine and your iOS devices. If you do this, don't forget to edit the username as Fidelity are one of those sites that seem to think that obfuscating the username with asterisks somehow improves your security. Personally I call it an annoyance but each to their own :smile:

Let us know how you get along.

• JeffG
    JeffG
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks littlebobbytales -

That sorta worked. I created a new Fidelity login in Safari. That one works in iOS (iPad and iPhone) but not in Windows. So I now have 2 Fidelity logins: Fidelity iOS and Fidelity Windows. Of course, it would be nice to have one login work in both environments.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeffG,

Now this one is puzzling. As you may have already read, I have apologised for not being thorough enough with OpenTables but I've gone back and started this one from scratched and it works for me. I created a Login item on my iPad, altered the username and then when back and tested filling on both iOS and Windows + IE.

On Windows, both clicking on the URL in the Login item, which initiates open and fill (open the URL in a new tab and fill in the page with this Login item when loaded) and visiting www.fidelity.com, manually going to their login page and filling worked. Now I can only test filling because I can't create an account at Fidelity like I could OpenTables. Is the trouble after filling or it simply won't fill?

• JeffG
    JeffG
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I’m not sure what I did, but I now have a single login that works in IE/Windows and in Safari on the iPhone and iPad. Thanks, I think. I’m hoping that this continues to work and/or that fidelity doesn’t change their login url(s).

Minor bug alert: When I delete a login from 1Password in iOS (iPhone and iPad) it still displays through the Safari extension. It probably shouldn't do that. How do I remove the (deleted) item from the extension list?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JeffG,

Regarding you bug alert, I can't reproduce this if I do everything from a single device but if I follow a particular sequence using two devices I can. Let me describe what I'm doing (and why it's happening) and see if it fits at all with what you're seeing. I'll use a single iOS device and a Mac to make it easy to distinguish what I'm doing and where.

1. On the iOS device make sure you are either in Safari or the home screen, just as long as you don't have 1Password for iOS as the foreground app.
    2. I then delete the item from my vault on the Mac.
    3. Returning to my iOS device, I enter Safari and visit the site the deleted Login item was connected to.
    4. I launch the iOS 1Password Safari Extension and the Login item is still present.

Now why is this? iOS extensions have a very restricted mandate. They should be designed to do a very small task quickly and efficiently. For us that is inspect the local vault and fill or save a Login. What it doesn't do is initiate a sync so it's using the vault as it was the last time you launched 1Password for iOS. If I were to enter the actual 1Password for iOS app it would perform a sync and delete the Login item from the locally stored vault. At that point the extension doesn't show me the Login item.

If I delete the item from 1Password for iOS and then perform steps 3 & 4 from above I don't see the Login item because the local vault has the item deleted.

In my testing I often create items on my Mac and then test on my iOS device. Many times I forget to launch 1Password for iOS to allow a sync before heading into Safari. Then I remember and shake my head as I really should remember that by now :tongue:

Now would that explain what you're seeing or are you deleting an item locally and then still finding it available in the extension from that same device? That's definitely not good but I couldn't replicate it just now so please do let us know.

This discussion has been closed.