Auto-submit fail on barclay credit card site

Options

I have trouble on my barclay credit card site with auto-submit. When I try to login with auto-submit set to "when enabled" I get a page from Safari stating, "Safari can't load the page." When I set it to "never submit" I can usually successfully login. I have resorted to just copy and paste since that seems to be successful every time. I have tried both the beta extension and the stable with the same results. I have saved new logins at least a couple of times, hence here I am.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FriendorFoe,

I've moved your question to the 'Saving and Filling' category in our forums, since this will get you the quickest help from our experts. To help them get to the bottom of this as quickly as possible, I'm going to ask for a bit more detail from you:

In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What is the version number of 1Password that you have installed?
    • What is the version number of your operating system?
    • Which browser are you using and what is its version number?
    • What is the version number of your browser extension? (This can normally be found in the browser’s preferences, in the ‘extensions’ pane.)
    • Have you tried Saving a New Login Manually?

Thanks for helping us get to the bottom of this!

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan, I am using Safari 8.0.6 on two MacBooks, an early 2011 Pro and a mid 2011 Air, with Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, 1Password 5.4 Beta-13, and with extension 4.4.0.b5, although I have tried the stable version of the extension also. I have the same problems with both Macs. The problem also occurred when using Chrome before I uninstalled it. The barclay site is not the only site I have had problems with but is the most consistent at not working. I had trouble with a couple of sites that I solved by creating new logins but this didn't solve the barclay issue. When I just logged in to this forum I got the "Safari can't load page" but a retry connected. It seems like I remember having a problem with the barclay site before and switching to the stable extension solved it but not this time.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again Megan, I just tried the barclay site again with the "Never submit" setting and it works okay with that setting, just does not seem to like the auto-submit part.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FriendorFoe,

I take it we're talking about step 1 of the login process on https://bcol.barclaycard.co.uk/ecom/as2/initialLogon.do. Would I be correct in this assumption?

If we are then it might be worth trying to create a new Login item as I've never had any issues with their site. Obviously 1Password can't help with step 2 but for me step 1 is automated. My original (and still working) Login item was a basic item created from within the main 1Password window but I just created a new Login item following our How to manually save a Login guide and that worked too.

Now this test was performed using all the stable versions and not the betas as you're currently using but you said you experienced the same issue with the stable version. It makes me wonder if it's something specific with this Login item. If you could try a new Login item please and let us know if that makes any difference :smile:

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi littlebobbytables, No, the site I use is the U.S. site: https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/home?secureLogin=
    I have had problems with others like Yahoo, for example, but most have been solved with creating new logins. This site seems to be problematic with the second step, or page, even worse than the first. I have tried using all three options in the login and none seem to work consistently. I have tried both versions of the extension but have not tried the stable version of the 1Password app since I have the beta installed on both my MacBooks. I recently gave up on any chromium based browser since they kept driving my MacBooks to overheat (had been using Aviator, Chrome, and Opera but all would send my Macs to 200 degrees F at times.) I have just recently gone back to Safari as my full time browser but was getting this in Chrome also before I uninstalled it, actually another reason I switched to Safari. This morning I did have success at their second login page with "always submit" but trying that on the first page just made my MacBook Pro "ping" it's notification sound with nothing visibly happening on the login page.
    I also had the login fail while logging in to the forum this morning so I created a new login for the agilebits forum which then logged in first time. I will try barclay again with creating new logins but I have already done this before coming to the forum.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried with newly created logins. My first two attempts at the first page were successful but both attempts at their second page gave me the "Safari can't open the page" gray screen. My third attempt failed on the first page resulting in the gray screen with "Safari can't open the page." This was using the default "submit when enabled" setting, did not try any other setting there.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried with my logins set to "always submit." The first page fills the ID but triggers the "ping" notification like when I am using the keyboard but am not focused on a point of text entry (I have to look at my keyboard to type, sorry to say, so I hear this too often). The login allowing me to continue to the second page completed successfully after clicking on the "continue" button. The second page logged in successfully with the "always submit" setting.
    As a followup, I just tried again and the first page failed to work after clicking "continue," just got the gray "Safari can't load page" gray screen. Frustrating it be, but will continue to try. I will get on my daughter's old white MacBook with Snow Leopard and try to login on that old version as a test.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the result of using my new logins on Safari 5.1.10 using 1Password Version 3.8.22 (build 32010) with stable extension 3.9.20 on Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I changed both logins to "submit when enabled" before trying. The initial login page filled the ID but stayed on the page without submitting. It did take me to the second login page when I clicked "continue" though. The second login page worked correctly and took me to my account. I will now try again and give results; The behavior was the same, no auto-submit on first page of login but worked when "continue" was clicked, second page auto-submit worked and took me to my account. My daughter has a MacMini with Mac OS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion that I can try also.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

When I got on the old MacBook I noticed the old Safari bookmark was for the barclayus home page so I opened the newer login bookmark from the Chrome install in Safari. This gave me the idea to try to login through their "Home" page on my MacBook Pro but that didn't work either, got the gray screen. I noticed the "open and fill" option from the 1Password popup menu, tried it, and it worked; tried it a couple more times after getting the gray screen and it worked every time for the first login. That success was not replicated when the second page of their login failed though.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

I seem to have a successful workaround for my barclayus card now. I use the 1Password menubar icon to select Logins, select my barclay account (convenient that it is near the top) and click on "open and fill" which successfully takes me to the second login page which seems to work as long as I have it set to "always submit." I am hoping this helps to find the "glitch" involved in the auto-submit process for this site. I am hoping this behavior can be replicated. I have tried to eliminate things like extensions by turning all off but 1Password, tried both versions of the 1Password extension, turning off my adblocking, and anything else I could think of before coming to the forum.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

As further testing this morning, I restarted my MacBook Pro with my external hard drive which has Mac OS X Yosemite public beta 10.10.4, Safari Version 8.0.7 (10600.7.5), 1Password Mac App Store version 5.3 (530029), and 1Password extension version 4.3.1. I successfully logged into my barclayus account and also the agile bits forum on the first try, both sites which I have been having problems with using 1Password beta. I did make a screen flow video of a failure to login but when I tried to add the file it would not let me, don't know if it is possible or not to add .mp4 file. I think the next step is to uninstall the beta and install the Appstore version of 1Password on my MacBook Pro to see what happens. Although I seem to be talking to myself, I hope my efforts might help someone else.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

After deleting 1Password beta and reinstalling the Mac App Store version I went to barclaycardus and got the gray "Safari can't load the page" page, so I deleted the cookies from Safari for barclay and tried it again. It worked then for the first page but failed on the second. I then tried changing the .css to none from the zoom.css file I had created, tried again and logged in through both pages; Success I thought, but it was not to be. Subsequent attempts failed again. After failing when I thought I had the problem solved, I tried logging in from the drop-down menubar list and it worked for the first page, but since it opens a new tab I can't use that "cure" for the second page. I also noticed that a few other sites give me the "Safari can't load..." but almost always work the second attempt. barclayus does seem to be my most vexing site, mostly because of their two page login. I have yet to see copy and paste not work though; I resort to this after about three failed attempts. I am beginning to think it is a Safari issue but can't be sure

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FriendorFoe,

Sorry, I was on my days off as I kick around the forums on the more traditional weekend.

Now defaults for 1Password are that Automatically submit logins after filling is enabled (it can be found in the Browser tab of 1Password's preferences). As such, the only two options for the submit setting that will have any noticeable impact are the default, Submit when enabled and Never submit. The Always submit would be if you actually want the default to be submit doesn't occur except for a few corner cases. So for testing you just need to play about with Submit when enabled and Never submit.

It might sound like a bit of a faff but if you'd like to see if it's a Safari configurational issue you could create a temporary user account on your Mac. You could then see what happens if you set up a temporary vault or indeed sync the vault from your actual account if you're already using the likes of Dropbox. If Login items behave better here in a clean copy of Safari then we've narrowed down the issue.

I can't test the second page of their login process but in a surprise move, it seems they don't confirm the username before showing you the second page. From a security perspective that's good as it gives away less information to anybody trying to gain unauthorised access. Anyway, the point is I created a simple Login item following our How to manually save a Login guide for just the first page and I can repeatedly submit that with no issues. I can fail to login after submitting a password but it doesn't eliminate an issue on a more successful login attempt (if that makes sense).

I do wonder if it's something about your Safari configuration because I certainly don't see messages along the lines of "Safari can't load..." even infrequently unless I'm having genuine troubles with my internet connection. Hopefully we can find the source to this perplexing issue.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables, The only two sites I am seeing this on regularly are the barclayus and the agilebits forum site, strange enough. I did notice this morning when I used my phone that the sync has messed up my 1Password life too. The phone was missing some "logins" and some previously deleted logins from the Watchtower warnings that had been changed were mysteriously back again so I have been getting those squared away today. Maybe later I can get on a new user account and try. I had actually made one for this purpose but could not access the 1Password app since it is located in my user account's downloads folder which I couldn't access with the new user account. I will report back after I have tried that. Thanks

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytales, I created a new user account on my MacBook Air to test this issue. I deleted the 1Password beta app and installed the Mac App Store version into the Applications Folder before logging in to my "testing" account. I also moved 1Password to the Applications Folder for access in my new account. After logging in I logged into Dropbox so it could sync and get 1Password ready, I installed the stable 1Password extension in Safari, imported my bookmarks, and installed my Safari extensions one at a time while testing barclacardus after each one. All went well through all of that; successful every time. I then activated Adguard and tried that; successful on first page but failed on second. I created an exemption for the barclacardus site, tried it again and worked first time. The surprising thing to me is that I had tried turning Adguard off before but still had failures. I am hoping this was the problem all along. I do use a .css sheet for zooming Safari but I have not tried that in my new account setup. I set that to none when I run into a problem like page rendering so I do not think that is a problem. Thanks for your help and time on this, hoping it is solved. It still is strange it only affected a couple sites though.

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytales, I have logged back in on my "home" account, added exceptions for barclaycardus and agilebits to Adguard, tried logging in and were successful first time. I think the Adguard VPN must have been the problem; it is new to me so I am learning that also. I am not sure if I will go back to 1Password beta yet. I originally signed up for betas because of the newness of Yosemite and Lollipop but will wait for a while to decide. Thanks again

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FriendorFoe: Sounds good. On behalf of lil bobby you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear you were able to narrow down the cause.

It's strange that Adguard would only cause this problem on certain pages, rather than all of them. Please check out our extension troubleshooting guide, as it contains information that may help you configure Adguard to allow 1Password to communicate properly even while it's running. Cheers! :)

• FriendorFoe
    FriendorFoe
    Community Member
    Options

FYI: After struggling in another attempt to use Safari, I tired of the total lack of a functional zoom solution and have now moved to Firefox. In attempting to login to my barclay account just now I found that 1Password did not offer the login. Finding this strange I went to Adguard and removed my exclusion for their site. After restarting Firefox I attempted to login and found that 1Password offered the login, and even better, logged in automatically. Since I was having problems with the agilebits forum also, I came here after removing the agilebits exclusion from Adguard. Once again it worked correctly. I do not know if this means anything to anyone or if updates corrected the issue I was having, but it seems to working now without having to use an exclusion so I am happy for a while. Maybe it was a Safari "extra?"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FriendorFoe: Ah, good to hear. Unfortunately Safari's extension API has been lagging behind Chrome and Firefox for a while now, but perhaps Apple will have some news on that subject at WWDC next week. I generally prefer Safari for it's excellent energy savings, but it really does go off the deep end sometimes. It's likely that an update (or a simple restart) helped in your case, as it does for me.

Without knowing the specifics of how AdGuard works, I can tell you more generally that, as 1Password uses websockets to communicate locally with the browser extensions, many security-type software products interfere with it, as some simply block all connections that aren't explicitly whitelisted.

This frankly doesn't make much sense, as something sending localhost traffic is obviously already in your system. If it's something you installed yourself, there shouldn't be any harm in letting it transmit; and if it's something malicious, well...it's already inside your system, so there are plenty of easier ways to get up to mischief! Perhaps it is simply easier to just block everything, rather than doing some sane filtering. :lol:

• MelTurner
    MelTurner
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having the same problem with the 1Pass 5.3 on the Mac and certain sites. i.e. auto submit does not work but never submit plus manual click does work (every time in both cases on some sites). After some investigation is does not work where there is a server switch or redirect after the first screen. This may be a timing problem. I have a case where the same sign-in can be used for different sites (using a sign-in partner scheme) but in the case of the partner site it does not work unless i do it manually (not auto-submit) but does work on the direct site with the exact same 1P entry.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @MelTurner,

Timing is a very tricky thing to get right here as any extension can attach JavaScript to an item's event (it's how extensions typically interact with a page) as can the page itself, in fact without this ability much of what we take for granted wouldn't work at all. The tricky part is getting a bunch of unknown scripts to play nicely and sometimes it just doesn't work.

On occasion we have also come across sites that only allow you to proceed if you click the button. Interacting with buttons like this is extremely fragile and we find it's far more reliable to mimic the pressing of the enter key while focus is on the password field. The majority of sites take that as a signal to submit the form.

So if after filling (but without auto-submit) you find the site doesn't respond to you pressing the enter key then sadly we will never be able to submit on that page. If you find the enter key does work then your thoughts of if it is a timing (or possibly a focussing) issue could be correct. We do try to work with as many sites as possible but there is quite the variety in designs, some of which may possibly always elude us.

Whilst hopefully only mildly annoying, at least you've found a solution for the couple of troublesome sites. Should you want us to try and investigate we will try but would require the URLs. Other than this blip I hope 1Password has been serving you well :smile:

This discussion has been closed.