1Password autofill in browser doesn't ever match URL

Relevant Info:

• 1Password for Windows V 4.5.0.572
  • 1Password Chrome Extension V 4.3.1.90 downloaded from here
  • Chrome Version 44.0.2398.0 dev-m

Description

Starting a few days ago, the 1Password extension has been unable to match any URLs, always showing no results found. When I manually search for the login, it will open that in a new tab and autofill it correctly, however if the login form is obscured (hidden by javascript behind a button or something) then the extension will forever refuse to fill that login. Upon clicking the button to reveal the login form, 1Password again has decided that the URL doesn't match and I get an empty list of matching websites. This is quite frustrating and has made the Chrome extension all but useless.

Troubleshooting steps taken:

Uninstalled and reinstalled extension (regular and beta versions) has not helped.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spectralblu: Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry or the trouble!

I just tested this myself, and I'm not seeing the issue you describe however. Please try 1Password Help > Restart 1Password Helper to see if that resolves the issue, in case it's a communication problem.

Which version of Windows are you using? Do you have security software which might be interfering? Please try the steps in our extension troubleshooting guide to see if that helps.

Are you experiencing this with all websites, or only specific ones? In either case, if you can give an example URL and tell me the steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening for you, I'll see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks in advance! :)

• spectralblu
    spectralblu
    Community Member

This seems to be happening for all URLs.

Example: Windows Live login

1. I navigate to login.live.com, and get automatically redirected to https://login.live.com/login.srf
    2. I hit Ctrl+\ to bring up the helper. No login is shown, so I hit search, and then search for Live.
    3. Hitting Enter on the Live login selection opens a new tab with the same URL (https://login.live.com/login.srf) and then fills in my password.

One thing I noticed was that clicking the 1Password icon in the Chrome toolbar does load the login, but Ctrl+\ does not. Clicking on the login after clicking the 1Password icon does have login details autofilled correctly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spectralblu,

Are you building Chromium from source? I only ask because if I download the dev branch I get version 42.0.2311.152 dev-m but I do see 44.0.2398.0 as a tag on the Master branch in git. Saying that, it isn't the most current as 44.0.2403.2 exists too.

I tried both the stable and dev version of Chrome and I couldn't reproduce your issue. If you were to return to the stable version does the problem persist?

• spectralblu
    spectralblu
    Community Member

Not building from source, just subscribed to their dev channel for updates: https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html?extra=devchannel&platform=win64

I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to do some testing inside a windows VM. Maybe my chrome profile is corrupt, but I'd rather not screw that up too badly in the middle of a work week.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to do some testing inside a windows VM. Maybe my chrome profile is corrupt, but I'd rather not screw that up too badly in the middle of a work week.

@spectralblu: No kidding! Be sure to let us know what you find, as it may help us reproduce it on our end so that we can get this sorted out for you. Thanks in advance!

• spectralblu
    spectralblu
    Community Member

So I had initially thought that it was due to a corrupt Chrome profile, since the extension would actually find logins in incognito mode, so I dumped my existing Xhrome profile and had it rebuilt. It looked like that fixed it, until I tried using it this morning and realized that it was broken again.

I started poking around through my extensions, enabling and disabling them one by one, and testing in an open GMail tab I had. Everytime I enabled/disabled an extension, I would reload the GMail tab and try Ctrl + \, to see what logins appeared. Upon disabling Postman - REST Client, 1Password would decently reliably find login data (but would occasionally fail still.. unscientifically, 7 out of 10 times would succeed).

• spectralblu
    spectralblu
    Community Member

Actually, I can't make heads or tails of this. I thought the extensions were what caused things, but now it just seems like I have intermittent success regardless of what extensions are enabled. Let me try returning to stable and see if that fixes things.

• spectralblu
    spectralblu
    Community Member

I made a little recording of this (that turned out to look much crapper after uploading to youtube, but I think it demonstrates the point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7LfHlANkMk

The black box is to obscure the actual login details before I post it to a public forum. All I'm doing is hitting Ctrl + \, followed by escape to close the popup. I intermittently get actual login details (the short popup), and sometimes it doesn't detect any logins (the long vertical popup).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spectralblu: Oh wow. I see what you mean! As far as I know, the only thing that could account for that would be a communication problem between the extension and the Helper.

Do you have security software running that might be blocking this? If so, it may help to disable it temperately to see if that makes a difference.

It sounds like you've reinstalled the extension, but have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the 1Password app as well? If not, go ahead and do this, and restart the computer afterward.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do would be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at AgileBits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• spectralblu
    spectralblu
    Community Member

Sorry for replying so late, long week..

So I realized that last time when I had tested after switching to stable (from the dev channel), chrome had downloaded and mostly applied the update, but I was still running on dev. After switching to stable I no longer experience this issue. When I get some more time I'll go and try to repro this on the dev channel again and generate a diagnostic report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@spectralblu: Ah, no problem! I'm glad the mystery has been solved. Thanks for the update! That certainly explains why we were seeing different results here. Those Chrome updates will sneak up on ya! Let us know what you find. :)

This discussion has been closed.