Changed master pass on Windows, but Android doesn't seem to know about it

cwisniewski
cwisniewski
Community Member
edited May 2015 in Android

I gifted a copy of 1Password/Windows and 1Password/Android to a friend who is fairly unskilled at all things computer and was installing the software for him yesterday and ran into a strange problem.

First I installed the latest Windows version and set up his vault on Dropbox and got a couple of logins working. Then installed free version of Android app, intending to upgrade to paid version there. Free Android version found vault and opened it up just fine. Then my friend wanted to change the master password to something a little easier to type. The Android copy was still running when that happened. My bad. We changed the master password via the client running on his Windows box and tested. No problems there. Then I went back to Android (free) version to show him how to use that interface. It will not permit a login using the new or old master password. Powered off and on phone and tried again. Still nothing. Have not tried 1Password Anywhere yet. His Windows box has no problems with new master password.

What is the easiest thing to do at this point---delete 1Password app on Android and re-install/set-up? I'm not an Android user myself and, given my familiarity with iOS, find the Android interface a little frustrating and foreign, but I'm happy to work through whatever steps you suggest.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• peri
    edited May 2015

Hi @cwisniewski. Thanks for getting in touch with us (and for being an awesome gift-giver). :) I'll be happy to help out here.

First of all, it does sound quite odd that neither the old nor new password is being accepted on Android. As long as the two devices are syncing properly, 1Password 4 for Android should decrypt with the same master password used on the PC.

That said, the easiest thing to do here would probably be just to reset 1Password on the Android, and reconfigure sync with Dropbox. Here's what you will need to do. This will remove all of your data on your Android device, so please make sure to securely copy any new items you added on Android that have not synced over.

• Go into your device Settings > Apps > 1Password and tap "Clear data"

Then launch 1Password 4 for Android and configure sync with Dropbox. Let me know if that does the trick! I'll be happy to help further if necessary.

• cwisniewski
    cwisniewski
    Community Member

Peri,

Thanks for replying so quickly! I'll be able to try your suggestion tomorrow and will write back with any hiccups if there are any. You folks at AgileBits are awesome! Keep up the good work!

• No problem at all! :lol:

Please do let me know how this goes when you get a chance to try it out. Thanks again!!

This discussion has been closed.