Open and fill tends to subscribe me to newsletters

Options

I just wanted to write to make you aware of the fact that the 1Password browser extension will very often simply enter my email address into a newsletter subscription form and submit that when using the "open and fill" option in the 1Password application.

It would be an improvement if the 1Password browser extensions would be better able to distinguis between a login form and a newsletter subscription form (1 has a password field, the other does not have a password field).

Thanks in advance for considering such an improvement!

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It would be an improvement if the 1Password browser extensions would be better able to distinguis between a login form and a newsletter subscription form

@michielvoo: Indeed! Unfortunately in most cases no two forms are identical, so 1Password has to fall back on some logic to try to choose the correct one...and doesn't always get it right.

One thing you can do is make sure that you have the correct URL in your Login item for the login form you want 1Password to fill. After all, if you're not on a 'subscription sign up' page in the first place, this problem goes away. However, when both of these are on the same page, this statement simply does not apply:

(1 has a password field, the other does not have a password field).

And this would explain the issue you're seeing. If you run into specific cases like this, the best thing to do is to report them via our Synapse website issue tracker so we can try to improve it going forward. And if you also post right right with the details, we will do our best to offer a solution or workaround in the mean time. But without knowing anything about the sites in question, there isn't much I can but offer generic advice.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.