Switching between vaults should be easier [New vault switcher in 5.5 betas - check it out!]

eh801
eh801
Community Member
edited July 2015 in iOS

Hi!

I remember reading about this a long time ago but I was unable to find the question, so decided to post a new one.

Are there any plans to make switching between vaults in iOS easier? I think the current UI for switching vaults is more complex than it needs to be. I for instance never use the 1Browser, so I don't need to see the globe in the richt bottom corner all the time. I would prefer it if that icon was replaced by a vault switching icon. Because I only use two vaults it could just be the icon of the vault of the other app (like it is portrayed in the Mac version).

1Password Version: 505008
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8.4 12H4098c
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eh801,

I remember reading about this a long time ago but I was unable to find the question, so decided to post a new one.

Well, someone named eh801 did post this:

I would like to vote for the possibility to remove the in-app browser since I never use it. I'd rather see a change vaults button.

:lol:

At the moment we still intend to keep 1Browser, although making use of its tab bar icon (when visible) as a vault switcher is something we'll consider along with other methods of improving vault switching.

I think the current UI for switching vaults is more complex than it needs to be.

Agreed. Even with infrequent vault switching using Settings > Vaults to do it can be rough.

I for instance never use the 1Browser, so I don't need to see the globe in the richt bottom corner all the time. I would prefer it if that icon was replaced by a vault switching icon.

Noted. :)

Because I only use two vaults it could just be the icon of the vault of the other app (like it is portrayed in the Mac version).

Interesting idea, also now included with a similar feature request we have in our system.

Thanks!

ref: OPI-1070, OPI-2303

• eh801
    eh801
    Community Member

Ha whoops that is probably why it seemed so familiar and also it was not that long ago apparently! :blush:

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

A +1 here from me. I have four vaults which I switch between on a daily basis and the switching on iOS can be very frustrating at times.

Would love a better and quicker way. I too also do not use 1Browser.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Ha whoops that is probably why it seemed so familiar and also it was not that long ago apparently! :blush:

Reminds me of a time I was reading a fairly lengthy headerless email message from somewhere without realizing I'd written it until reaching the end and only then noticing my signature.

A +1 here from me.

Okay, you also get another vote.

I'd like to add my vote to this too as I also use multiple vaults.

Cheers! :lol:

• bsholbrook
    bsholbrook
    Community Member

easier switched and searching across vaults would be extremely helpful.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015

Thanks for your feedback, @bsholbrook. :+1:

ref: OPI-2319

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

Can my vote for easier vault switching count as 5000 votes?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

No guarantee, @fatherfork, but I'll try. :)

• eh801
    eh801
    Community Member

Awesome to see that an easier way to switch between vaults was introduced in the latest beta (5.5b17) :)!! I do have a few comments though:

• Because it only shows a standard 1Password vault icon in the upper-left corner it might be difficult to find out which vault was selected (other than it's content). Maybe it is possible to use the icons also used on the Mac version? This would make it a lot easier to distinguish vaults from each other.
    • Because I only use two vaults I think it would make more sense if the app would switch to the other vault instead of showing the little pop-up with all vaults.
    • The location of the switching button in the upper-left corner does not seen natural to me. I think it would make a lot more sense if it was located where the 1Browser is right now, in the lower-right corner. Also because I use an iPhone 6 it can be hard to reach the button :(.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Hi @eh801,

We've all been pretty excited to get this new feature out into the betas! (In fact, I may have spent the last five minutes just tapping that vault icon because it's so darn easy.) I'm glad that you're happy to see it too. :)

We're still in the early stages of this feature, and are trying to figure out the best way to make this happen, so you're likely to see a few variations on this theme in the next few betas. I've made sure to pass your feedback along to our team, we'll keep it in mind as we refine this new switcher.

ref: OPI-697

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member

The new vault switcher is fantastic. I too would love it if the icon changed color depending on the vault selected, just like on the Mac.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate your fantastic feedback, @fatherfork. :+1: :chuffed:

I too would love it if the icon changed color depending on the vault selected, just like on the Mac.

Noted – thanks!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

Same here. Amazing to see this included. Some thoughts:

I feel it would be best I the icon was permanent and didn't keep disappearing as you navigate from screen to screen.

It's placement MIGHT be better on the bottom tab bar

Colours and icons from the Mac version would help identify what vault is active much quicker as I use 4 vaults and a quick glance would be even better but I think I remember you guys saying vault specific settings like this are coming after an update to the max preferences page to allow all these settings to be changed on a per vault basis.

Great work guys!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rctneil ,

Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll be sure to share your thoughts with the team. :)

This discussion has been closed.