Sync questions for planning trial

Options
DuckyK
DuckyK
Community Member

I've been researching 1Password prior to trying it (looks like a great application!), and would like to plan my sync paths before setting up a trial. One of the important features for me is a local sync; I don't want the password vault in the cloud. I need to sync 1) Windows – Windows, 2) Windows – iOS, 3) Windows – Android.

From reading manuals and articles, I think I can accomplish a local sync for the 3 platforms as described below. I'd like to confirm whether I'm correct, or if there is some issue I don't know, since two of my methods are not presented by Agilebits as official sync methods.

For Windows –> Windows
It appears that I can use the copy method described in the Windows manual under "Alternatives to importing" to manually update (overwrite) the vault on PC2 after changing it on PC1.

For Windows –> Android
From the Android manual, I conclude I can copy the vault from Windows to the Android SD card, then tell 1Password on the Android device to sync with that vault.

For Windows –> iOS
I'd use Wifi sync

Will this manual approach correctly accomplish a sync across the platforms? Are there any details not mentioned in the manuals that I should know?

Thank you in advance for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

@DuckyK: You are correct; that should work! I would only say that the primary pitfall for your plan is that you really need to use 1Password on one device at a time, since you'll essentially be overwriting the data from one device onto another.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Wi-Fi Sync only works between a single computer (as the server) and one or more iOS devices (as the client). Wi-Fi Sync is also now in beta for Android, so we're looking forward to adding that option in the near future for our awesome Android customers as well!

In regard to syncing the two computers, using any sync app that stores your data locally should work. 1Password just needs your vault to be available on each machine (so writing to a network volume can cause problems).

I personally prefer to sync using Dropbox, since it's solid (and free). It's how I prefer to sync my 1Password data. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security, 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of the sync method to protect your data. Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers, and is supported across all current version s of 1Password on all platforms.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• DuckyK
    DuckyK
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thank you for your reply. I understand your cautions. Also thanks for the link to the end-to-end encryption article (I hadn't run across that one) and for vetting the Dropbox method. (I have read some other AgileBits articles about security.) I do use and like Dropbox, and that would certainly be more straightforward. So I'll reconsider. However, there's something important that I'd appreciate if you could clarify about it.

Assume I've been using Dropbox to sync. If I need to access data (read only) stored in 1Password on an iOS or Android device and I don't have cell or wifi access, can I do that without hiccups? I read in the geeky details about Dropbox that on these devices 1Password has an internal database. So it seems 1Password could present the data from that internal database. But does 1Password also automatically check the Dropbox copy on startup, and will it choke if it can't access Dropbox?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DuckyK: Yknow, that's a great question! In this world of nearly ubiquitous internet access that many of us take for granted, it just doesn't come up a lot.

Indeed, you can use 1Password in 'offline' mode. It was designed with this in mind. 1Password by default doesn't store your data in the cloud, so it doesn't depend on a network connection to function.

The only drawbacks to using 1Password without internet access are the inability to log into websites (naturally) or sync changes from other devices. 1Password will try to sync on launch, but there's nothing that will prevent you from using it for just about anything else. It reacts to the lack of a network connection the same way it does if there's just no new data to download: it just works with the database locally. :)

• DuckyK
    DuckyK
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Sounds good. Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DuckyK: Any time, and thank you! As soon as you said it, I realized this information belonged in the sync section of our knowledgebase. While it isn't live yet, I've already added it so it will benefit others in the future. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.