Migrating from SPB Wallet to 1Password

Options
sponge91
sponge91
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Lounge

Hello, How I can import my data from spbwallet to my 1password software? For information I have ios and mac .
Thanks you for your help

1Password Version: IOS 5.4.2 french version
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sponge91,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

If you are able to export the data as CSV, 1Password can import CSV. :)

Import data from Comma Delimited Text (CSV)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @sponge91,

Unfortunately the Spb Wallet suffers from a very poorly formatted, ambiguous export, which cannot reliably be converted through automated means. it is a free-form, textual dump. There is no distinct separation between its records, so a program cannot automatically detect where one record ends and another one begins.

It would be possible to convert the data if you placed clear markers at the end of every note in a record's Notes section - then, a converter could use these to detect where each Note ends, and marks the beginning of the next record.

If you are willing to do that, I'm willing to help you convert.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@sponge91,

Are you still with us? I hope so, because I have some good news.

I've been able to decrypt the SPB Wallet format and can now create a converter for it. The converter will read your SPB Wallet file, and create a 1PIF file that you can use to import into 1Password.

Let me know if you are interested...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@sponge91 - one more ping in case you're still there and are interested in conversion.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Here's hoping! I'd love to see this get tested…

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, interesting discussion! I use SPB wallet for many years now, but the non-support on IOS is a growing problem. Until recently it still worked, and I could upload the the wallet file to the iPhone with tools like iFunbox. But since IOS8.3 this file browsing on the iPhone has been blocked by Apple. I hate to think about retyping all the stuff.
    So, if any transfer engine would be available I would seriously consider to go to 1Password. I have two Windows 8.1 PCs, two iPhones and an iPad.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

But since IOS8.3 this file browsing on the iPhone has been blocked by Apple. I hate to think about retyping all the stuff.
    So, if any transfer engine would be available I would seriously consider to go to 1Password. I have two Windows 8.1 PCs, two iPhones and an iPad.

@MichielSprenger: Indeed! The desktop apps are the way to go here then, and you can use the free trial to 'test drive' it. It simply isn't possible for iOS apps to grab each other's data, so that's off the table.

Be sure to check out MrC's converter, as it will take most of the pain out of getting your data into a usable form to import into 1Password. And be sure to let us know if you have any questions! :)

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi thanks for your quick answer. If you read the above thread and seeing that SPB wallet is not on the list in the link you sent me, I doubt whether this will work, though, since the export from SPB Wallet indeed is rather poor. I would need the direct module that khad above announces that hes has constructed and wants to be tested.

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Nevertheless I downloaded the toolset from dropbox, but I cannot find any references to SPB Wallet.
    So, could you please check again? Thanks

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC Could you check the above discussion please ?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @MichielSprenger ,

I had partially completed the converter, and left it idle, as the original poster never returned. If you are going to purchase 1Password, I'll complete it so you can get your data imported.

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC , I currently have a trial version of 1Password on the PC. When the conversion works I will for sure purchase 1Password. So I am very curious about your converter, and will test it out as soon as you supply me with a testable version.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

Ok, that sounds like a good deal.

SBP Wallet has many stock categories, and the the most time consuming part of creating a converter is creating the table of category/field conversions. Can you tell me which stock categories you use most? This will allow me to prioritize the order I create these table entries for you.

Edit: Here's a list of all the stock categories with their associated fields. Have a look and you'll see what I mean about how out of control the category list is.

Edit: FYI - The raw wallet decryption and importing of the data is complete. I just need your help as to which categories to address first.

By the way, this is the first converter that does not use an export file; it reads and decrypts your SPB Wallet file directly. Cool.

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC Thanks for your quick answer. Your last sentence is the good news indeed, and I like the idea.

The situation with the stock stock categories, as you calll them, is a bit more complex even. SPB Wallet has the concept of templates (I do not have the English version of SPB, but my Dutch version uses the Dutch word for 'template"). Templates are enclosed in the .swl file, but templates are fully editable by the user, and the user can add templates. The extensive list that SPB supplies that you reference to, is no more or no less than a starting list from SPB.
    In my case, for instance, I probably use 25 templates, partly as is, from SPB, partly modified standard templates that I added one or two fields to, and partly new templates that I created.

All Cards in SPB Wallet (Card is in SPB the name for the fllled in instantiation of a template) thus has a name, a reference to the template used, and content for all fields in the template, PLUS room for remarks and an attached file.

By the way, this mechanism is what made SPB Wallet so attractive, at least for me, as a user. 1Password does not have editable templates, at least I could not find it. Thus, your converter will have to interpret the user defined templates, map them to stock category and fields from 1Password, and then convert the Cards.

If I can be on any help in this development, let me know. I would like to try to find out which templates I use, but there is no way to do that within SPB Wallet. Can yoour toll be helpful in the sense that in a first run I could possibly generate some statistcs form my password file ?

Thanks again, talk to you soon.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @MichielSprenger ,

The converter code reads all the necessary SQL tables and builds the correct set of templates, fields, and cards. That part is straightforward.

All of the converters assume stock categories, templates, fields, etc. When users change these, there are two options: 1) do nothing and allow the converter to map the customized entries (cards) into 1Password Secure notes, placing the data as Field:Value pairs, or 2) have the user customize the converter's category/field table to accommodate the user's customized configuration. This isn't terrible difficult, but there's a trade off between the time it takes to add all the relevant customization to the category/field table (and discovering, perhaps through trial-and-error how to best map the data) and just letting the data import into 1Password and making corrections there. If the number of entries is large, customizing the converter might be the best way forward.

What the converter cannot do is guess the field semantics (meaning of the fields). Extra fields, or slight changes to some fields, within a single type is not an issue generally - these fields just get mapped into the Notes section. But some fields are essential, in that the define the semantics of a type (e.g. a type-less card that contains a URL, username and password can safety be considered a Login). If these field names are changed, there's no way to know the type.

So the converter gives great results for stock systems, but degrades in terms of mapping quality as more customization is encountered. This is the burden users must endure as the price for this type of customization.

Are your field names localized? If so, the converter will need a localization table to handle the mapping between default English names and your localized names. This might end up being something you have to manually handle in the category/field table. If there were only a few different categories / fields, this isn't too difficult. But given that SPB Wallet's stock templates are completely out of control (59 I think), that's a lot of translation to be done.

I can have the converter output your templates for you - in fact, the code is already in the converter, and that's how I generated the table mentioned above.

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC Thanks again for your quick response. I try to understand what you are saying here, I think most of it is clear.

Some information for you: the localization concerns the UI of course. Looking at the cards however, the field names of the standard set of templates are in English, exept for the Remarks field, which has the Dutch name. (this is actually a separate tab in the Card editor).

When editing the templates, adding or editing a field requires the user to give the field a name (done by me in those cases) and set or change the category of this field. The pick-list for the field catagories is in Dutch language again, but these are only seven choices which will be easlily recognized in the English version. These seven choices are:
    1. plain text, not case sensitive, in Dutch: Tekst
    2. CAPITALS only, in Dutch: HOOFDLETTERS
    3. Case sensitive text, in Dutch: Juiste hoofd-/kleine leeters
    4. PIN/Password, in Dutch: PIN/wachtwoord
    5. URL/web adress, in Dutch: Webadres/URL
    6. e-mail adress, in Dutch: E-mail
    7. Phone number, in Dutch: Telefoonnummer
    There is no way in SPB to add choices here.
    Isn't it so, that this gives you all clues to read the customized template stucture and thus the card structures from the .swl file? Nand then do the mapping automatically? With the exeption of course that there is no way to know what I use a text field for, of course.

For me it still is not clear yet which way we should go forward, but that is partly because I do not know yet the exact structure of 1Password. I have to think it over. It would be nice for me to be able to check some statistics, like how many different templates I use, (not awfully much, I think) and how many cards per template.
    Of course it would be better to accomodate things semantically into the ne 1PW environment, and not only as Field: Value text strings in a secure note, but then indeed the user has to do certain choices. If option 2 would be the choice, would you create a UI for letting the user do that?

So, if you could provide me the tool to output the categories, but also information on the usage of the templates, it would be of great help of course.

Tell me what you think.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @MichielSprenger ,

A field's TYPE unfortunately does not reveal unambiguous clues about the source or desired target category.

For example, field TYPE=4 is essentially a hidden field, used for passwords, PINs, CVV values, etc., and these will exist in Logins, Credit Cards, Back Accounts, etc. And TYPE=6 is a URL, and it too can exist in many categories. Likewise TYPE=7 which is an email address, and TYPE=8 a phone number.

These are geared towards how SPB Wallet handles Input and Editing of the data, and for UI presentation, and not about describing the data semantics.

I'm going to create some basic category / field mappings so that we can move forward. You're going to have to adjust them to suit your needs. I'll give you a means to dump your template / field tables, so you can modify the converter.

The converter will map SPB Wallet templates into one (or more) 1Password entries, and this conversion is all table driven. It will match Category Names and/or Field names to determine the entries Type. For example, the field name "Phone" will map to a 1Password entry's phone number field for a given category. Your job will be to change the mapping table's pattern matching from "Phone" to "Telefoonnummer".

There will be no UI to do that customization - its pretty straightforward to edit the converter table.

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MrC , thanks again for your attention to this. I will await your further steps. Michiel

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

Sure thing. I'm creating the category / field table now. Here's some conversion debug output for you to view.

Here's the import on 1Password for OS X:

Here's the import on 1Password for Windows:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2015
    Options

@MichielSprenger ,

I have some code for you to try. Let's take this offline via email while we work out the details. My email is at the top of the convert_to_1p4.pl script. Download the just posted update to the 1.06 version in the _testing folder in my AgileBits Utilities folder.

• steveholbrook
    steveholbrook
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

@MrC, did you get this all developed and further resolved? I too would like to import my Spb Wallet data.

Thanks.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @steveholbrook ,

Yes, the converter is already available in the 1.06 version. See the _testing folder reference in my 1Password converters page.

I did not complete all the stock SPB Wallet types - there are just too many. I've done a few, and have taken the lazy approach (given that the product is so old), and will update the converter type table as users request them. So, download the 1.06 version, run the conversion as per the instructions, import the data into a temporary vault, and examine the data. Let me know which stock categories and fields did not convert as you want, and I'll provide you an update to the converter to better suit your needs. Feel free to contact me via email (my email as at the top of each script), and we can work out the details offline.

• steveholbrook
    steveholbrook
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,

Thanks for taking the time to do this---both write the converter and communicate with me about it. I'm currently traveling so I may have to wait until I return home to try this out. If I have problems or if I come up with other categories and fields to add to your list, I'll email you.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@steveholbrook ,

Sure thing Steve. While you're away, maybe I'll add a few more stock types. its easy to do, just tedious to go through the process of matching SBP Wallet types with 1Password categories, and for each field within. It is the slow part of making a converter, because I like to be as meticulous as I can so its done once, correctly.

Drop a line, or post here, when you're ready.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @steveholbrook ,

I just pushed an update to the spbwallet converter that handles many more types. In addition, also fixed a bug that was causing only a few output types to be created (many items were inadvertently being routed into Secure Notes instead of specific 1Password categories).

The version is still the 1.06 version in the _testing folder of my AgileBits Utilities folder.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@MrC: Dang. Nice! :eh:

• steveholbrook
    steveholbrook
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC,

Thanks! I'll have to check it out when I return home after all my traveling---which won't be until November.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@steveholbrook ,

It will be there waiting for your return. Pleasant journeys.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@steveholbrook: That sounds like a pretty sweet vacation. See you on the flipside! :lol: :+1:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi folks. I've promoted the converter suite version 1.06 to stable. It includes this SPB Wallet converter.

This discussion has been closed.