Regarding 1Password security

Options
dwk
dwk
Community Member

Before anything I must mention that recent LastPass security issue got me all paranoid.

Yesterday I was making my transition to opvault from old agilekeychain format for my windows desktop version.

While I was making the transition I came across several errors while exporting my data and importing my data into the new opvault

and had to restart 1password occasionally.

Since I never encountered errors before I'm starting to feel very anxious about the errors that I got and have to ask these questions.

1) Is it possible for a remote hacker to gain access to my 1Password program and alter it into his/her taste?

2) Are there any ways a remote hacker can manipulate my back up files for 1Password and so if I restore that back up in other computers it would be hack-able as well?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think the best place to find reassurance in response to general (and perfectly valid) questions like that is with the following:

The security knowledge base

There's a wealth of information there about 1P security which should reassure you. (In essence, everything very much depends on the strength of your master password.)

If anyone tries to frighten you by referring to XARA as a threat :) take a look at this thread here on the Lounge. The post to which I've linked is a good place to start in that long thread.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dwk: It's important to remember that in order for anyone to do what you describe, you would first have to grant them access to your system (likely by running a malicious app). If you can tell us there errors you received we may be able to provide a more detailed answer specific to your situation as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.