Free upgrade

Alimickey
Alimickey
Community Member

Hi, I was a user on version 4 some time ago and I forgot about it. I just downloaded it this week and have tarted using this app. I saw some threads where people can get a free upgrade from 4 to 5 on ios. But since it is an iap does e company give me a redeem code or somehow make me a premium user. Thanks

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

If you have a registered copy of version 4, which I assume you must have, the upgrade to version 5 and the activation of the Pro features are both indeed free. You just need to download version 5 while logged in to the iOS App Store with the same Apple ID that you used when you bought version 4. The Pro features should activate automatically. No coupons or codes are needed.

• To go a little more in depth on this one, @Alimickey, if you download 1Password 5 from the App Store using the same Apple ID with which you purchased 1Password 4, the in-app purchase should be unlocked for you automatically. If you use a different Apple ID that hadn't previously purchased 1Password 4 then you'd have to purchase the in-app purchase.

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

Hi thank you very much for your replies. I am signed in with my current Apple ID that I got the version 4. However it is still not working. Ps is iOS 8 version the 5th?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited June 2015

@Alimickey - You do need to have iOS 8 installed on your device to be able to use 1Password 5. You haven't asked, but OS X 10 (Yosemite) is required for 1Password 5 on Macs too.

• AGMarshall
    AGMarshall
    1Password Alumni

@Alimickey Hawkmoth is correct in that 1Password 5 for iOS requires iOS 8. Are you running iOS 8?

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

Yes I am, in fact I am on iOS 8.4 public beta.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Alimickey ,

Hmmm, it's a bit strange that you're using version 4 on iOS 8. If you're using iOS 8, 1Password 5 should be an automatic update from 1Password 4 for iOS. Do you have automatic updates disabled in the App Store?

Please open 1Password and go to the Settings screen. Scroll down, just below the 'Recommend 1Password' button. What is the version number that you see there?

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

No, I have an iPhone 4, sorry for the misunderstanding I have version 4 on that. And version 5 on my iPad.

• @Alimickey,

v4 would be the latest version that your iPhone is capable of running, which is why v5 does not show up as an update. If you get an iPhone that runs iOS 8 you'll be able to install 1Password 5.

Thanks!

Ben

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

No I hae an iphone 4 as well as an iPad Air. I have ios 7 on my phone a ios 8.4 (updated today) on my iPad.

• Hi @Alimickey,

I understand. But 1Password 5 for iOS cannot run on iOS 7, so it will never be able to run on your iPhone 4. A newer iPhone with iOS 8 would be required. That said, iOS 9 is right around the corner, so in order to be as future proof as possible if you were to get a new phone you'd want to get one that can run iOS 9.

The iPad can run 1Password 5. The iPhone cannot.

Thanks!

Ben

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

Ok, I think you are not understanding what I am saying, if my iPhone 4 on iOS 7 is signed in with my Apple ID and have downloaded 1password version 4, then shouldn't my iPad automatically update to version5 since I am signed in with the same Apple id

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

Hi @Alimickey ,

It doesn't matter so much which Apple ID your iPhone 4 is using at the moment, because it is using the latest version of 1Password that is available for iOS 7. The important thing is that you log into the App Store on your iPad with the same Apple ID that you originally used to purchase 1Password. This should give you access to the Pro features in 1Password 5 for iOS.

We seem to be going back and forth here a fair bit, so I just want to confirm the current state of things:

• Do you currently have 1Password installed on your iPad?
    • If so, please go to the Settings screen, scroll down past the 'Recommend 1Password' option, and tell me what version number you're using.
  • Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

I have it installed, and version number is 5.4.3

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Alimickey: While you would be "grandfathered" into the Pro features if you purchased 1Password 4 when it was available, this will only work if you download the app and restore the purchase logged into the correct Apple ID. So you may need to simply reinstall it (after creating a backup of your data first, of course).

It is also important to note that 1Password 5 is a free app with an in-app purchase for the Pro Features, so unless you "purchased" (for free?) 1Password 4 before 1Password 5 was released, you may not be "grandfathered" into Pro. Getting 1Password 5 for free doesn't get you the Pro upgrade, so I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't any confusion about that.

Finally, if you did indeed purchase 1Password 4, there should still be a record of it under your Apple ID (although it may be simplest for you to contact them to help you find this information rather than trying to scroll through your history manually). Unfortunately AgileBits just doesn't have access to any of these records, as the App Store is owned and operated by Apple.

I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find! :)

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

So what do you suggest i do? Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Alimickey ,

Brenty is suggesting that you reinstall the app (after creating a backup of your data). Please let me know if this helps!

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Ohh, i have done that already, and it didnt work.

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

-

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Alimickey: Then definitely check your records to verify that you purchased 1Password 4. This will show both the Apple ID used to purchase it, and that way Apple should be able to troubleshoot it and reinstate the purchase if necessary. Please let us know how it turns out! :)

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

Yes I have, since it is in my purchased list on the App Store. I am sure. It was some time ago.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Alimickey,

Unfortunately downloading the free version of 1Password 5 for iOS will mean it appears in your purchased list so that's not a great indicator of anything. Downloading the free version of 1Password 5 for iOS would also give access to 1Password 4 for iOS for any device running a compatible version of iOS that isn't iOS 8.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Step 3 is optional but I would like you to enable In-App Purchase and then follow the steps in the How to restore 1Password’s Pro Features on iOS of our Pro Features page before proceeding with creating the diagnostic report. This will ensure that whatever error message is being reported will be in the log and captured by the diagnostic report. Obviously if it restores the pro features the diagnostic report isn't required.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

Ok thank you very much, just Another question. Was 1password 4 or 5 ever a paid app?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Alimickey: Yes, 1Password 4 (and 3 before it) was a paid app. We didn't switch to the 'freemium' model with the in-app purchase for the Pro upgrade until 1Password 5.

I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: EYQ-22849-285

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

Ok, thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Alimickey
    Alimickey
    Community Member

I have recieved no reply. Is this still being looked at?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Alimickey: Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure how you missed it (maybe check your spam folder?) but Lars replied to you 21 days ago. :dizzy:

I've resent his email, so please confirm that you have received it: just reply to the email if you have additional questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.