Leaving app requires master password

Options
skorvek
skorvek
Community Member

when 1password is the active app and I want to navigate away to another app, I cannot do so unless I press cancel on the touchID prompt. That causes the master password prompt to cons up next time I go to one password. Same thing happens while in the safari 1password extension. As a result I am constantly having to use the master password rather than touchID.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @skorvek,

when 1password is the active app and I want to navigate away to another app, I cannot do so unless I press cancel on the touchID prompt.

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Could you please elaborate? Why can't you navigate away?

That causes the master password prompt to cons up next time I go to one password. Same thing happens while in the safari 1password extension. As a result I am constantly having to use the master password rather than touchID.

We are evaluating this behavior and are looking into an alternate action for the 'cancel' button on the Touch ID prompt.

Thanks!

Ben

• skorvek
    skorvek
    Community Member
    Options

As a simple example, when I open my iDevice from sleep, sometimes 1Password is the active app. Or alternatively, I may swipe through my apps and stop on 1Password.

Now that the app is in the foreground, it prompts me for my touchID credentials via a popup notification. My choices are to either authenticate with 1Password or hit cancel. Since a dialog box is open, I cannot close the app without taking action. Choosing cancel dismisses the dialog but then deactivates touchID for 1Password until I enter the master password. This happens ALL THE TIME, which means that I'm always typing in a long complicated password rather than using TouchID. It's really annoying when something doesn't fill properly within the Safari extension, as I'm going back and forth and entering a long password each time.

• skorvek
    skorvek
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any reason hitting cancel has to prevent you from using touchID next time the app comes to foreground in a locked state?

• skorvek
    skorvek
    Community Member
    Options

The obvious UI change would be to have a button on the lock screen s(the lock icon perhaps) which when pressed would fire the touchID dialog. This is how my banking apps and amazon act. I get a login screen with a username and password box, and a login with touchID button as well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is there any reason hitting cancel has to prevent you from using touchID next time the app comes to foreground in a locked state?

@skorvek: Yes. When Touch ID is dismissed (or your device is restarted, or your Require Master Password timer is expired), your Master Password (for use with Touch ID) is removed from the iOS Keychain; so on subsequent unlock attempts, Touch ID can't use it to unlock 1Password.

Now that the app is in the foreground, it prompts me for my touchID credentials via a popup notification. My choices are to either authenticate with 1Password or hit cancel. Since a dialog box is open, I cannot close the app without taking action.

Unfortunately this is not currently possible to avoid. While Touch ID is pretty awesome, it's fairly limited for 3rd party apps. We simply call on Touch ID if it's enabled (and you've already authenticated with your Master Password at least once).

This is how my banking apps and amazon act. I get a login screen with a username and password box, and a login with touchID button as well.

Probably not something we're going to change any time soon, as this is kind of a lie. Requiring the password indicates that the app has not stored it in the iOS Keychain; whereas offering the option to login using Touch ID indicates that the password is in fact stored in the iOS Keychain to facilitate this. You simply can't have it both ways.

Certainly we're always exploring our options, so perhaps we'll be able to come up with a more streamlined solution in the future. We're just not willing to give our users a false choice. But I really appreciate you sharing your experience. In fact, the same thing frequently happens to me! Generally I just unlock using Touch ID when prompted in order to avoid having to type the Master Password instead. ;)

This discussion has been closed.