I am having difficulty with a shared vault.

David_Raden
David_Raden
Community Member

The vault is located on a shared folder in dropbox. It is my secondary, but my wife's primary. She can sign in (I can too) with her password on her Mac. I can see the contents on my Mac when I sign in to my primary vault. I can not sign in to that vault (with the password for either vault) with an iOS device or 1password anywhere. Both work with my primary vault. She is using 4.4.3 (on 10.9.5) I am using the latest version 5.x. (on 10.10.4). The shared vault was made using 4.x when I purchased a family license. My primary vault was made with version 3 or older. I would really like to add that vault the our iOS devices.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @David_Raden,

I'm sorry you're running into problems with the shared vault! If I understand your description, everything is working fine with the 1Password app on your Mac and your wife's Mac, and the issue is specifically with using the shared vault in 1Password for iOS (and 1PasswordAnywhere). Is that correct? If so, I'm sure we can figure out the problem, but we'll need to know a few more details:

• What exact version of 1Password is installed on each iOS device?
    • What version of iOS is running on each device?
    • What steps do you take to sync the shared vault in 1Password for iOS? What happens when you do that?
    • Do you receive any error messages? If so, what do they say?
    • What happens when you try to view that shared vault using 1PasswordAnywhere?
    • Are you having any trouble with your Primary vault on your iOS devices?

The more details you can give us about what's happening on the iOS devices, the better. Thanks!

• David_Raden
    David_Raden
    Community Member

Hi Drew,
    It is working fine on the Mac, but it is not right. I can access (and sync) the vault on my mac when I access my primary vault. I can not access the vault directly when I logout, change vaults, and try to logon to the family vault because it does not recognize the password that works on my wife's computer.

For iOS:

-Version 5.4.3 with purchased Pro features
    -iPhone 6 running 8.4
    -Settings > Vaults > Sync Additional Vault > Sync with Dropbox > Pick the database > Vault password
    -No error just: incorrect password
    -1PasswordAnywhere: incorrect password
    -No problems with the Primary vault from iOS or Anywhere.

Syncing:
    -We have separate dropbox accounts. We are sharing a folder that has the vault.
    -I have typed the password on her account, had it work, then type it on another device and not work. So not a human communication error.
    -I looked at the dates for Default Data files in the vault on Dropbox and each of us have modified one (or more) in the last week.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @David_Raden,

Thank you very much for the clarification and details, they were really helpful! I understand what you mean now - her master password unlocks that vault on her Mac, but the same master password doesn't unlock the same vault on your Mac, and doesn't work when trying to sync that vault to 1Password for iOS. That helps narrow this down to a couple possibilities.

Since it is set up as a secondary vault on your Mac, the master password for that vault must have worked on your Mac at one point. Have you or your wife ever changed the master password for that vault? If so, it's possible that change might not have synced correctly to the data file in Dropbox. In that case, if you remember the previous master password for that vault, you can try that to see if it works.

Are changes to that vault syncing correctly between your Mac and your wife's Mac? To make sure, try adding a new item (like a Secure Note) to that vault on one Mac, and see if it syncs to the other one. If the new items doesn't sync to the other Mac, it sounds like this could be a sync problem in general.

On the other hand, if changes to that vault sync correctly between your Macs, does that master password by any chance contain special characters/symbols? If it includes anything other than the standard Latin (ASCII) characters, that might have something to do with the problem. You can find more information about that in this knowledgebase article.

Please let us know how all that goes, and we'll continue from there.

• David_Raden
    David_Raden
    Community Member

Drew,
    I agree it seems like a sync problem. The sync test worked. Secure note synced fine when made from my account then moved to family account. Could see it on my wife's account.
    I can not remember if this was the first password we used. I think it was the original password.
    All account passwords have standard characters, per your KB article, only.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @David_Raden,

Thanks for trying that! If her master password has never changed and it only uses the standard Latin (ASCII) characters, and if Dropbox sync is working correctly for that vault otherwise, I'm not sure exactly what would be causing this problem. But there are a few things we can try to see if it helps.

Before continuing, you and your wife should make new backups of your 1Password data on each Mac (just as a precaution). From the main 1Password app, go to File > Backup. That will open the Backup preferences and show all your backups, including the new one you just made. Make sure to do that on both Macs. You should also make sure you're wife's vault is up-to-date on her Mac (it sounds like it is, since Dropbox sync is working).

What the following steps will do is have you remove your wife's vault from your Mac, disable Dropbox sync on her Mac, "change" the master password for that vault (to the same one), re-enable Dropbox sync, then try to re-add it on your Mac. When you're ready, you can go ahead and follow these steps:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password 5 and switch to your secondary (i.e. wife's) vault.
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Delete [vault name] Vault (confirm you want to delete it).

On your wife's Mac:

• Open 1Password 4 and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab, then click Change Syncing.
    • Check the box to Delete data from Dropbox and click Disable Sync.
    • Open the Dropbox folder on that Mac and make sure that shared .agilekeychain was deleted.

• Go back to the 1Password Preferences, select the Security tab, and click Change Master Password.

• "Change" the master password to the same one that is already being used.

• Go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.

• Enable Dropbox, click the Choose button, then select the same shared folder as before (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.agilekeychain file in the shared folder in Dropbox.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync the new keychain.

If any other devices were syncing with that same vault, they'll give an error when they realize the .agilekeychain was removed from Dropbox. You'll just need to re-enable Dropbox sync for that vault on those devices.

Finally, on your Mac:

• Open your Dropbox folder and find your wife's new 1Password.agilekeychain in the shared folder.
    • Double-click that .agilekeychain, and 1Password should prompt you to create a new vault (enter the master password for that vault).

Does that work? If it accepts the master password when you re-add the vault on your Mac, then try it on your iOS device as well. Let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• kblinhou
    kblinhou
    Community Member

I'm having a similar issue. Running Version 6.2.1 (621001) from Mac App Store on two macs - a laptop and server. I can access a secondary vault on one device, but not the other.

I created a new secondary vault on my laptop. Let's call it "mom". It sync'd automatically to dropbox with the rest of my vaults, and I was able to use it -- copied over some elements, put the laptop to sleep and woke it up and supplied my master password to 1password and accessed all of my vaults, including the new one, etc.

But from my Mac server, I can't access the vault. In fact, I don't see the vault in 1password on the Mac Pro; but I do see the file for it in dropbox alongside the other secondary vaults. So I try to add it -- by double-clicking on "mom." It brings up a 1password dialog box prompting me for the vault's password, It never accepts it. I've deleted the vault from 1password on my laptop and recreated it, even removed the synd'd dropbox folder from the server and re-added it. Still not accepting it.

One interesting clue is that the first time I created the secondary folder on my laptop, it was given a pink color randomly. That color shows up on the server too when I'm prompted to supply its password. But when I deleted it and recreated it on my laptop, it changed colors each time. But not on the server.

Any advice on how to get this new vault to appear on my other devices? It's also not showing up on my iphone 6, but one step at a time.

• Hi @kblinhou ,

When you click on the vault in Dropbox and it asks for the password, does the hint match what you gave it when you created the vault? I want to make sure you are clicking on the correct file.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• kblinhou
    kblinhou
    Community Member

Well, interesting. No is the answer -- it's not the same hint. But it is the only file with the name of the vault. How can I find where it's squirreled away?

• kblinhou
    kblinhou
    Community Member

It bugs me no end that you guys are so smart -- I really try (and want) to figure things out myself, love doing that, actually. But your advice made me look - and removing and recreating the secondary vault does not cause it to sync to dropbox. It of course had turned itself off. Once I turned it back on, things sync'd and my server and my iphone are now able to see the vault. Sigh. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• @kblinhou Aww thanks. :) We try. Glad you got the sync kerfuffle sorted out. Let us know if you have any more issues with it.

This discussion has been closed.