1password pro purchase

Options
Jumoonji
Jumoonji
Community Member

I am dying to know that if I have purchased the 1password 5 pro on my iPhone 6, would I still be required to purchase the desktop version (I use Mac btw)?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The first thing to make clear is that 1P for Mac and 1P for iOS are completely separate products. In other words, if you need 1P for Mac you have to buy it. The cost of it has nothing to do with whether or not you have 1P for iOS.

1Password is licensed per person and per platform, rather than per device. You can read more about AgileBits' approach to software licensing in this knowledge base article.

You can buy 1P for Mac either from the Mac App Store or direct from the AgileBits store. There are two things to bear in mind:

1. If you ever want to use iCloud to sync 1P data between your Mac and iPhone you must buy 1P from the Mac App Store because the version from the AgileBits store doesn't support iCloud sync (following changes made by Apple on the launch of OS X Yosemite). Both versions support sync of 1P data by either local wifi or Dropbox.
    2. If you have owned an earlier version of 1P for Mac you may be entitled to an upgrade discount if you buy from the AgileBits store. That discount won't be available if you buy from the Mac App Store.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jumoonji: Indeed. The short version is that we sell our products on a per-platform basis, so each version is a separate purchase. This way you only buy the ones you'll actually use. Also, we can't actually sell/bundle cross-store (Apple, Google, etc.)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Ruckmanf
    Ruckmanf
    Community Member
    Options

So, if I DO want to use cloud, I will need 1P for both of us on our Mac, and 1P for both of us on our I phones, & I Pads?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Ruckmanf - If you want to do that, then yes to all of your questions. Plus, be sure your Mac license comes from the Mac App Store if you want to use iCloud for your cloud syncing, since only that version will have access to iCloud for that purpose. You can use Dropbox, WiFi or Folder sync with either the Apple Store version or the AgileBits web version.

One license for each of you will provide access to the Pro features on iOS for all devices using the same AppleID, so one copy for your iPad and iPhone, and one for her iPad and iPhone. If one or both of you can do without the Pro features, you each still will need a license for your iOS devices, but those will be free.

• Ruckmanf
    Ruckmanf
    Community Member
    Options

I have just purchased the 49.99 version for MY Mac.I guess I don't know what you mean by "Pro" features?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

The iOS version is free to use in its basic version. It also has more advanced features, which are referred to by AgileBits as Pro features. The Pro features for your iDevices require an in-app purchase to activate. The current price to do that is US$9.99, and each person who uses a different AppleID will need to pay that, if they want or need the advanced Pro features.

The term "Pro" does not apply to the Mac version of the software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ruckmanf: Indeed, the Pro Features are an in-app purchase in 1Password for iOS, but I'd say just download the app (it's free!) and try it first. Then if you decide that the Pro upgrade would be useful to you can can purchase that at any time. :)

This discussion has been closed.