Help needed to set up 1Password so family members can share

Options
hawkmoth
hawkmoth
Community Member
edited July 2015 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: 1password pro purchase.

@Ruckmanf - I hope you don't mind that I split this discussion into its own thread. It will be helpful in assuring that you get the help you need.

Comments

• Ruckmanf
    Ruckmanf
    Community Member
    Options

I have ONLY set up the "master password" so far. I get SO FRUSTRATED as my wife & I have SO MANY passwords. Some the same, some different. We keep an "updated" list in dropbox that we can BOTH get to from our Iphones, Ipads, OR Mac Computers. It is NOW 4 pages long.

What is the BEST WAY, to set everything up with 1password son that we BOTH can fet to them?

I am thinking that we need the $ 9.99 app, but then, how do we share those on our Macbook Pro's?

Look forward to your help.

Frank

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

One thing to understand from the outset is that the iOS application and the OS X application are separate products and are sold separately. So, if you and your wife want to be able to use 1Password on iOS devices and Macs, you'll need to have separate licenses for those two versions.

A license for the Mac version can be shared among as many as six family keeners in the same household. That's true whether you buy from the AgileBits web store or from Apple through the Mac App Store. The way to share is slightly different between the two. If you buy from Aplle, you would both have to be members of the same Family Sharing Group. With the version from AgileBits, it's a little more straightforward: you both simply apply the license file that AgileBits will send.

If you ever think you'll want to use iCloud for keeping thing synced up, be sure you buy the Mac App Store version, because Apple only allows access to the required protocols for apps they sell themselves. This may not be an issue for you, since you say you're storing your passwords on Dropbox, which works well for 1Password too.

Things are a little different for 1Password for iOS. The application in its basic form is free to download and use as long as you like, but is you need or want the more advanced Pro features, those are activated by an in-app purchase. Aplle doesn't allow Family Sharing for in-app purchases, though, so if you both want the Pro feature, each of you will need to buy them.

I'm going to leave your questions about how to share some data and not others to a more experienced helper. I have no personal experience with doing that.

Finally, let me point you to the excellent 1Password support pages. They answer all of your questions. But I'm sure someone else will be along here to help out too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have ONLY set up the "master password" so far. I get SO FRUSTRATED as my wife & I have SO MANY passwords. Some the same, some different. We keep an "updated" list in dropbox that we can BOTH get to from our Iphones, Ipads, OR Mac Computers. It is NOW 4 pages long.

@Ruckmanf: Ouch. That does sound like a bit of a headache. Fortunately, there's a better way! Certainly, it will take some time to migrate your data into 1Password, but you can save logins one at a time as you use them.

Now, the best thing to do is get your vaults syncing first, so I'm glad you went into some detail on your situation, because it definitely helps when it comes to giving some advice as to how you might proceed.

First, since you're already using Dropbox, it might be easiest for you to use it to sync your 1Password data as well.

Second, Dropbox already has a built-in sharing feature, so you can share share a vault with your wife, even if you use separate Dropbox accounts.

And finally, if you share a Dropbox account and want to share a single vault between the two of you, that's perfectly fine too! But with Dropbox you have the option to share between accounts, and even have a single shared vault, and then personal vaults as well, if you want to keep some things separate. It's pretty flexible and entirely up to you, but feel free to give me a better sense of what you'd like to accomplish and I'll be able to give more specifics. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.