I'm new to 1password and am nervous to let it pick my pw for me help

So I am using 1password on my iPad and iPhone. So far, I have used my own passwords which are probably not nearly as secure. I am nervous about letting 1password change them for me as there is now way I can remember them all but I know it is a leap of faith to do this. Once I do, how do I know that the pw will be changed across all my devices and platforms? I am assuming that I need to login to the various sites via 1password every time, correct? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ismcd58: Not a stupid question at all. Thanks for reaching out! I can certainly understand the trepidation, as this is a big change for anyone — going from trying to choose and remember passwords oneself to having an app manage it. Fortunately with 1Password you will still be in control!

It's important to note that 1Password doesn't actually change passwords for you. You can use it to generate a long, strong, random (and therefore unique) password for a website, for example, but you need to do two things with this new password:

1. Update your password on the website itself (otherwise it will be invalid, as the site will still be expecting the one it already has)
    2. Save the password for the website in a (new or updated) login item in 1Password (so that you can get the correct password out of 1Password as needed in the future)

If you do both of these things, there are a few benefits:

• No one is likely to ever guess a randomly generated password (the likelihood of this decreases exponentially the longer you make it!)
    • You can, in most cases, have 1Password fill your username and password for you, saving you the trouble of either copying and pasting, or typing the password manually (like an animal!)
    • Once you get sync setup on each device, any changes you make to information you've saved in 1Password will be updated across all of them, so you don't have to enter it on each device separately to have it accessible
    • And finally, you can always get your saved passwords, etc., out of 1Password if needed. Using 1Password can make it easier to login to websites, but you can also just use it as a database to look up your stored information for reference as well. For instance, I just copied personal information from 1Password the other day when filling out forms, rather than having to dig through my wallet and other documents. 1Password is most useful digitally I think, but it can also be a huge convenience in other everyday situations too (I keep my insurance info there).

I hope this helps! Be sure to let me know if you have any questions, and also the more specific you can be about the OS and 1Password versions you're using across all devices, the better advice I can give (especially in regard to syncing and using 1Password). :)

This discussion has been closed.