Feature/enhancement request: 1Pass Keyboard Android

wraith
wraith
Community Member
edited August 2015 in Android

Hi,
I love the Android keyboard and auto-fill feature but there are several issues with it. I realise that the feature is based on the AOSP keyboard and most of my issues actually stem from that, however I think they are particularly relevant to a password manager and as such cause me issues with the 1Pass implementation.

What it comes down to is that many of my passwords (including my master password) make use of numbers or symbols. The 1Password keyboard makes typing these difficult in several ways:

• firstly there's no numbers bar above the letters
  • when you switch to symbols, the symbols are not consistent with the US International keyboard... they are jumbled and not listed beneath the equivalent number
  • these make general typing annoying anyway, but when typing a password (for example creating a new one while on the road) it's a real nightmare to enter
  • for someone who touch types I'm often less aware of what a symbol is than "where it is", but since they've moved I am sometimes unsure which symbol a particular password uses

My request is that:

• the keyboard allow an option for numbers to be permanently displayed above the letters, and
  • pressing shift switch those numbers to the equivalent symbol as per the US International keyboard, and
  • switching to the symbols page displayed the correct symbols under each number for those who don't enable the numbers above letters view

My workaround is to use the Hackers keyboard for day to day use, but then to switch to the 1Password one when using auto-fill... but I'd rather just always use the 1Password keyboard (especially since if it was easier to use with the suggested changes I'd be manually typing passwords less often).

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password for Android 4.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.0.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Pass Keyboard

Comments

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

+1 that would be way more usable

• saad
    edited August 2015

Hi @wraith! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on our keyboard. There are number of considerations that we took into account when we designed our filling keyboard. One of the top requested features has been to add support for different layouts and we plan to continue on improving our keyboard on Android.

The symbols layout in the 1Password keyboard should match the same US international layout as Google’s keyboard. Is this not what you are seeing?

You brought up a really good suggestion for displaying numbers on top and I have passed on this feature request to our developers to review. Let me know if there is anything else you would like us to look into. :D

• wraith
    wraith
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Hi @saad,

I don't have the Google keyboard installed but I believe the symbols on the 1Password keyboard are the same, the issue is that those don't match the physical US International keyboard.

What I'd expect to see is something like this:
    !@#$%^&*()
    but what I get is
    @#$%&-+()

At best it's hard to find the symbol you need, and if you only remember "shift number" then you won't even know what symbol is required.

Thanks

EDIT: Just to add, it's not just about password entry, it's just particularly relevant to passwords. I use punctuation in email and sms from the phone and having to constantly hit the symbol icon mid thought to find a comma, quotation or apostrophe gets old. I use the Hacker's keyboard for that reason... but I'd far prefer to use the 1Password one the whole time.

• Thank you for the clarification @wraith. The current layout we are using seems to be the default software keyboard layout for the English (US) keyboard based on AOSP. I understand the symbol layout is not the same as on a hardware QWERTY keyboard but it seems to be a very popular one on Android. With that said, I will bring up your suggestion to the team. I hope we are able to support multiple keyboard layouts in the near future. :)

This discussion has been closed.