How to deal with abc***xyz entered usernames

Sorry for bringing this up again as I know I've asked this before, but I swear the folks at my online ATT Universal Card site must sit around and decide how next to play with how usernames and passwords get entered. I had (keyword "had") a login that had worked since the last time they messed with how you login but recently it stopped working in the following way. I watch the 1Password login open the correct URL and then enter both the username and password. The username sits there entered in totally readable text while the password populates with visible *****'s. The first clue that they had messed with it is the next step, auto submit, stopped working. But ok, I can click a button but the moment I click submit, the username, entered correctly at least as far as what the text should be, suddenly turns pink (yes, pink, not red) as if they need you to do something with that... So I re-enter that text exactly as the 1Password login entered it at least as far as the text is concerned. I then click submit again and the moment I do, the username text turns in to (tell me what it's called???) where the first character or two and the last character or two populate and all the others turn in to ****'s (asterisks) and then the account connects. So now the login works but you have to 1. re-enter the username each time and 2. click submit manually...

I did the obvious, which was to make a new login with this recently tweeked website, and when I do so and try it, it submits automatically but it puts up an error message that I've entered the wrong username or password...

This has happened before and you guys have told me what it means, though if I recall, there is not a good fix... But then, a month or so from now, it will change again and perhaps start working as an auto login again. Just trying to learn...

The problem is with how they want the username to be entered and then convert it to this partly hidden form. Is there a way I can tell the login to do that such that I can start using the 1Password login again???

thanks... bob

1Password Version: 5.4 beta 30
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

So I re-enter that text exactly as the 1Password login entered it at least as far as the text is concerned. I then click submit again and the moment I do, the username text turns in to (tell me what it's called???) where the first character or two and the last character or two populate and all the others turn in to ****'s (asterisks) and then the account connects. So now the login works but you have to 1. re-enter the username each time and 2. click submit manually...

@diitto: Ugh. Tell me about it! I've experienced this issue myself more times than I'd like. The one thing that might work is editing the item to disable Autosubmit there, and then try ⌘ \ filling a second time to see if 1Password is able to undo the damage.

If that doesn't help though (which it very well may not), there isn't much 1Password can do unfortunately. What's happening in these cases is that the site is using Javascript to mangle the input as you type one character at a time, but 1Password just fills the whole thing at once (that's what we want, after all!) and the poor script doesn't know what to do.

If that's the case, the best thing is to report it using our Synapse website issue tracker so the development team can take a look at it to see if there's a way we can work around these issues in the future. I'm sorry that probably isn't much consolation for the time being, but we're working hard to improve 1Password, one step at a time. :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

thanks brenty... I hear you... And I appreciate the feedback... As I said, the boys and girls and ATT Universal card sit around all day making our lives a tad bit tougher... What's interesting is that is a Citi card and I have a different Citi card that has pretty much the exact same website (almost) but they NEVER mess with my ability to autosubmit where that Universal folks do it all the time... sigh...

Help me out. Is < \ > that you showed above a shortcut for "submit the same one again" or something like that??? Just nor familiar. And I did a quick look through shortcuts on the 1Password drop downs and didn't see that one. Just curious... Maybe a better question is is there a guide to all the 1Password shortcuts, assuming that's what that was you were demonstrating???

thanks.. bob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @diitto,

I feel your pain! Citi sites are notorious for not playing nice with 1Password, and each time our developers figure out a way to fill Citi logins correctly, it seems like those sites are updated to break things again. Citi has many different login pages/forms though, so it's not uncommon for 1Password to work better with some than with others.

There are a couple tips when you run into an issue like that, and one is to follow the steps in this knowledgebase article to save a new Login item. It sounds like you already tried that, but there are a couple other things that might help with this particular issue. First, after saving the new Login item with those steps, open the main 1Password app and find that new item. If the username has the asterisks in the new Login item, edit it to change it to the correct username.

Alternately, you can follow those steps to save a new Login, but when entering your username and password, enter the password first, then go back to the username field and enter your username - make sure you leave the cursor in the username field (i.e. don't tab into a different field). When you save the new Login, that might help to make sure it saves the correct username, with no asterisks.

Help me out. Is < \ > that you showed above a shortcut for "submit the same one again" or something like that??? Just nor familiar. And I did a quick look through shortcuts on the 1Password drop downs and didn't see that one. Just curious...

Sorry for any confusion there! The ⌘\ ( Command+\ ) keyboard shortcut is used to fill a Login on the current web page in your browser. Basically, it's the same as opening a website and then clicking the 1Password extension in the browser's toolbar to choose a Login item. If you only have one Login item for the site, ⌘\ will fill the login form right away. If you have multiple Login items for the site, ⌘\ will open the extension and show you the matching Logins so you can choose one.

Maybe a better question is is there a guide to all the 1Password shortcuts, assuming that's what that was you were demonstrating???

There sure is! You can find that here: Keyboard shortcuts

I hope that helps, but we're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Thanks Drew... I appreciate the help. hadn't seen before (or forgot??) where the shortcuts were shown in the 1Password Preferences... I see them now... I will continue to muddle along with Citi... thanks.... bob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, @diitto! I hope things work out with the Citi login, but if you need more help with that, please let us know. :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

will do... appreciate the help... love 1Password... bob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Assuming you guys might still see this thread, at the risk of perhaps repeating something I've said/asked elsewhere, let me say a bit more about what I'm observing with this troublesome autoentry of credentials for my ATT Universal Card. With the login I have created, when it gets entered, the username shows up typed with all characters showing, meaning no ***'s in the middle. And it, the website, colors the username read,meaning it doesn't like that. And if you go ahead and hit submit, it just stares at you as it's waiting for you to fix the usernmame. So I highlight the username and then type it, repeating exactly the same characters I am overwriting. I do that, complete it, then click submit. The moment I do so I see some of the middle characters change to *****'s, and it then successfully logs in. You guys had told me to edit the login once upon a time and change the username to be properly spelled out if it was showing with the ****'s and I did that. But now it appears to need one more step, which is to enter the text as text but then to convert it to this partially "hidden form".

In looking at the login when I go to the login, click Edit and then click on "show webform details", my goodness it is a zillion lines long, most of them being blank or close to blank with catergory "checkbox" at the right side... Oh, just tons of stuff, what a mess. But when you get down to the area where it appears the username goes in, I first see a line that says

USERNAME 'enter' text

and then on the next line it says

User ID xxxxxxxxxxxx text

where the xxxx's above are my username properly spelled out.

It seems to want the username entered as normal text as you once described and as I think I have but then it wants to have something added that tells the login to turn this text into the representation that converts many of the internal characters in to *****'s...

Sorry for beating this issue but I think what I've described above about me simply retyping exactly what is already there, then hitting submit and seeing the characters change, some to *******'s, just an instant before the page goes on and loads, might contain some new information????

Any thoughts or input as to how I might add "convert to this first enter real text, then convert to "partially hidden text", then go".

???? thanks... bob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @diitto,

Sorry to hear you're still having some trouble with that specific site! I've moved this discussion to our "Saving and Filling in Browsers" forum for some additional help with this.

Login forms like that can be extremely tricky when it comes to filling your credentials correctly. For some sites, it's possible to edit the Login item or save it in such a way that it generally works, but some other sites work in a way that prevents it from working at all. We do the best we can to work correctly with as many sites as possible, but we can't guarantee compatibility with every website because they all work so differently. If you haven't already done so, please make sure you use our Synapse website issue tracker to report the issue, so our development team can look into it and possibly make improvements on our end to work with that site at some point in the future.

Any thoughts or input as to how I might add "convert to this first enter real text, then convert to "partially hidden text", then go".

The website itself is what "converts" part of your username to asterisks, not 1Password. So having 1Password convert it to asterisks won't help at all, because the website is expecting the real username to be entered into that field - and your real username doesn't actually contain any asterisks. It's similar to how the password field obfuscates the characters you enter so they appear as black dots - your real password doesn't contain the black dots, it's just the way it appears in that field, as a security measure.

When 1Password fills your username & password on a website, it more or less tries to mimic what a user would do. Since you would manually type the real characters in your username (not asterisks), that's what 1Password needs to do as well, because the website doesn't actually know whether an app or a person is entering that text. But it sounds like the problem is as Brenty explained a few weeks ago:

...there isn't much 1Password can do unfortunately. What's happening in these cases is that the site is using Javascript to mangle the input as you type one character at a time, but 1Password just fills the whole thing at once (that's what we want, after all!) and the poor script doesn't know what to do.

If you can let us know the URL you use to log into that site, we can try our best to test it out and see if there's a way to get 1Password to fill it correctly. It might turn out that it simply won't work correctly with that site right now, but we'll be happy to try it ourselves to be sure. Thanks!

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Hmmm... I had forgotten the part about the Javascript... I see... I will just play with it some more... And just keep typing the username in manually, at least for now...

thanks... bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@diitto: Indeed. What a pain! I think we've all encountered this problem, but it can be a real drag when it's a site you use frequently. Please let us know what you find though. We're here to help in any way we can. :)

This discussion has been closed.