Dropbox sync without desktop?

I use Linux almost exclusively on my desktop/laptops. I just purchased 1Password Pro for my iPad and iPhone for two particular features:
  • Dropbox sync
  • 1PasswordAnywhere

These features make it possible for me to use my password database on my desktop and my mobile devices. Unfortunately, I missed this little bit of the user manual:
NOTE: Currently you cannot sync your iOS devices to Dropbox without first configuring 1Password on your desktop to use Dropbox. This limitation may be removed in a future release.

Before I get a refund, I wanted to see if there was a way around that limitation. The only workaround I can think of is to download a trial of 1Password for Windows and set up Dropbox sync via a Windows VM.
  1. Will this work?
  2. Will the "trial" database expire?
  3. Is there any other reason I need to have a desktop version of 1Password?
  4. Will I have problems down the road?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

-Matthew

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Matthew,

Download the trial setup the sync, then delete the trial.

No there are not any problems doing this and this is the most common way to setup the sync for those that don't have / use / a Mac / a PC

The database doesn't expire it's the application that expires without a license so your all good on this one.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Tommy is right as usual. :-)

The initial setup of Dropbox syncing requires 1Password for Mac or Windows and Dropbox to be installed on the same computer, at least temporarily. You can use the free trial of 1Password, and the Dropbox application is always free. Once you've got syncing set up and working, you can uninstall 1Password and Dropbox from your computer if you'd like to do so.

The following document describes the process in 1Password for Windows, but the same steps work in 1Password for Mac:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_Windows/iOS-to-Windows.html

Of course, we hope you'll like 1Password so much and find the syncing so convenient that you'll purchase a 1Password for Mac or Windows license, too...but there's no obligation. :-)

The good news is that even without a Mac or Windows license, you will be able to take advantage of the 1PasswordAnywhere feature from within Linux once you setup Dropbox syncing. ;-)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Cheers,
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Some users have reported that 1Password for Windows runs reasonably well under WINE on Linux. We can't actually support that, so it is something you try at your own risk, but if you don't have even temporary access to an OS X or Windows machine to do the initial set-up, you can try running 1Password for Windows under WINE on Linux.

Again, I can make no promises about this, but it might be something to try (and let us know about).

Cheers,

-j
  • Hi @Matthew W.

Quite a bit has changed since you first started this thread in 2011, but I'm very excited to announce that there has been progress on this request. You can read more here:

1Password for Linux development preview

We'd love to hear from you over in our new Linux Development Preview forum category. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.