Use without main app?

Options

I've been using just the browser-part (without the main program, which I don't have) in Firefox on Mac for some time.

Now, the 4.4.2 browser extension with Firefox 40.0.3 displays the 'not verified, proceed with caution' message... which apparently should enable it to still work, but when clicking the icon to activate my logins the browser briefly displays a message of 'looking for the 1password app' and then tries to load an address of 'onepassword4-extension://activate/Firefox'.

This seems to suggest that it won't work without the paid program.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @gulliver,

Were you perhaps using the older 1Password 3 Firefox Extension before? The older extension could become disconnected from the main 1Password 3 application and work in what seemed like an independent manner but it was always intended to work in conjunction with the main application. We did change how the extension worked in 1Password 4/5 and the new system is much better in my opinion. The extension simply calls on the main application and by doing this people didn't risk having information stuck in the extension with no easy way of recovering it (the danger of the disconnected extension). The extension was always meant to be used with the paid application though.

If this isn't what you're experiencing can you describe what your setup a bit for us please.

• gulliver
    gulliver
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

At some point I was using the main program, but stopped after a hard-drive failure and never bothered to reinstall.

I've clearly misunderstood that the browser extensions do require use of the main paid program rather than work alone. Pity, it was simple and convenient... and of course free. (I'd posted last year about how to save data entered that way, but then became unavailable to continue discussion before the thread was closed.)

Thanks for setting me straight.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gulliver: Indeed. And again I am sorry for the confusion. But browser extensions are limited in many ways, not being full-fledged apps. So the main 1Password app (technically the Helper/mini) does most of the work, with the extension primarily serving as a way to integrate with the browser, since one app hooking into another directly can pose security and stability risks.

• gulliver
    gulliver
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

When able, I'll buy the main app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Much appreciated! The support of our awesome customers allows us to continue improving 1Password for everyone. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.